Tent for touring

if you want something lightweight and compact but offering decent weather protection then there aren't many self-erecting tents that fit the bill well to be honest. Those tend not to fold up quite so small.

How much space are you looking for inside?

if you want something lightweight and compact but offering decent weather protection then there aren't many self-erecting tents that fit the bill well to be honest. Those tend not to fold up quite so small.

How much space are you looking for inside?

Just enough for me and my gear, no frills just quick and preferably effortless.

Probably need some more details on your requirements.......but what about this...http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/airgo-stratus-400-tent-p396453.

Saw them, bit on the pricey side and I don't need a 4 manner just me and my gear.

I doubt you would find a pop up tent that's small enough when packed for a bike. My tent takes about 5 minutes and I never found that an inconvenience when I went on 12 day tour to the foot of Italy... Ever day a different campsite. If you want to be super lazy then the words to look for are pitch as one and freestanding. You will always need to use pegs to pull the groundsheet tight and maximise the floor space. But guy lines? I don't think I've ever used them... These are for windy conditions mostly, though occasionally they're to maximise the living space.

There are more 1/2 person tents than you can shake a stick at. You need to start with first principles. What is the maximum pack size you can carry. A 2man is better as it has space for all your gear inside.

Sleeping bag. I use a snugpak its a summer only bag.. Air bed is an exped synmat with built in pump. (an extravagance)

Stove. Kettle. Cafetière. Ground coffee. Spoon. Mug. I don't bother cooking at all. This for European touring where eateries are almost everywhere. You could also... When planning use campsites that have a lidl/aldi or other market close by ... Or that you will pass. Call in for bread cheese cold meats salad and beer... That's assuming the campsites mini market doesn't sell chilled beer. Add cutlery and plastic plates to your shopping list. (And a bottle opener)

I doubt you would find a pop up tent that's small enough when packed for a bike. My tent takes about 5 minutes and I never found that an inconvenience when I went on 12 day tour to the foot of Italy... Ever day a different campsite. If you want to be super lazy then the words to look for are pitch as one and freestanding. You will always need to use pegs to pull the groundsheet tight and maximise the floor space. But guy lines? I don't think I've ever used them... These are for windy conditions mostly, though occasionally they're to maximise the living space.

There are more 1/2 person tents than you can shake a stick at. You need to start with first principles. What is the maximum pack size you can carry. A 2man is better as it has space for all your gear inside.

Sleeping bag. I use a snugpak its a summer only bag.. Air bed is an exped synmat with built in pump. (an extravagance)

Stove. Kettle. Cafetière. Ground coffee. Spoon. Mug. I don't bother cooking at all. This for European touring where eateries are almost everywhere. You could also... When planning use campsites that have a lidl/aldi or other market close by ... Or that you will pass. Call in for bread cheese cold meats salad and beer... That's assuming the campsites mini market doesn't sell chilled beer. Add cutlery and plastic plates to your shopping list. (And a bottle opener)

Thanks for the advice :thumb:

One other tip that I like to promote.

I often see bikers on tour with multiple 'bundles' strapped to the pillion seat... Tent, sleeping bag, mattress etc. I've been taking the single bag approach... Where everything "camping" is carried in a single waterproof bag. And then that is bungied to the back end of the bike. Bag I use is 89 litres and is the same length as the bike is wide measured from pannier to pannier. Using a single bag... Certainly in my experience has meant I can divide my stuff so I know exactly where everything is... I also have space for dirty laundry... Stuffed into a plastic bag and kept apart from the clean stuff.

Also this method allows me one luxury I will not be without.... At the bottom of the bag, with everything on top of it so it's well crushed down is a memory foam pillow... The orthopaedic type. Cheap from ikea or eBay. Normal camping pillows are awful in my opinion and if you have the space - why not?

If the weather is good... Then I lay out my towel across the bag and bungied in place and it soon dries out in the airflow and sunshine.

Occasionally there may be a campsite where its not ideal having the bike next to the tent... So one bag means one back and forth.

Wild country make high quality tents. Not hard to pitch but not really as convenient as you're looking for. Their parent brand Terra Nova make real premium stuff as do competitors Hilleberg. Price tag to match though!

Yes, the "one bag" method works brilliantly.

Vango tents are great.

At the rallies I always use my leathers as a pillow..great until my face sticks to the leather and I have to peel myself off, but normally too drunk to care so doesn't matter. :cheers:

Edited by Joeman

One tip to speed things up is to to get a dry bag which is bigger than the tent bag. That makes it much easier and quicker to pack the tent away. I do not need to make sure it is neatly folded in a specific way to get it to fit.

I have two dry bags, one for the tent and one for my sleeping mat, a chair, a table and other bits.

My and my girlfriend can't be bothered with erecting tents and packing them down again so we ride with a pop up. 3 person. About 5 seconds to errect and 30 seconds to packdown.

Gives me an extra 30mins riding each day and is as good as my normal tent.

Similar feel to riding with a light pillion at speed.

4312017154923.jpg.00d6ba9c5a1a7da46b7ecd09b10085d9.jpg

It would annoy me having something like that behind me. I know it's no different to a pillion but it would annoy me. I intend to try and use my DD hammock/tarp setup a few times this year; haven't managed to get out with it yet.

Used Vango tents since the dawn of time, but swapped to an MSR last year - its the tits.

I go by a two-bag system to get over having to pack clothes and stuff with liquid containers or wet tents. That's if I'm not using hard luggage.

I'm still trying to train myself to cook on campsites - but the Lord of Darkness didn't create breakfast cafes and chip shops for nothing.