Knox layering system over a traditional jacket

I'm very early days in biking and am looking to buy my first set of kit.

I've come across Knox clothing and it looks quite appealing, I like how the armour is worn very close to the joint rather than being within a jacket where it could move and not be in the right place when it's needed. Does anyone have any experience of them?

I'm guessing that the armoured shirt could be worn with a traditional jacket? From what jackets I've seen they come with shoulder and elbow protection, that can be removed can't it to allow the Knox shirt to provide the armour? Or should they only really be worn with the Knox jackets?

Apologies for what may be stupid questions but it's all new to me.

The Knox armoured/action shirts provide impact protection, but abrasion resistance comes from what ever you wear over it.

"Normal" casual jackets will not have anywhere near the same abrasion resistance as a Motorcycle jacket.

The advantage of the Knox system is the armour does not move around as much as when it is in the jacket as it is held so close to the skin

SorryI wasn't clear with what I meant. When I said traditional jacket I meant a traditional motorcycle jacket, I understand the armoured jacket is only providing impact resistance. I was just wondering which of the below I should go for:

• [list=]
  • Knox armoured shirt with another brand motorcycle jacket (with the armour removed from that)

[list=]Another brand motorcycle jacket with the armour integrated into the jacket

[list=]

• Another brand motorcycle jacket with the armour integrated into the jacket
  •  

This

you will get miffed at wearing two layers all the time!!

Ah ok, that makes more sense!

I've only every tried the know shirts on at a show (I'll probably buy one at some point) and I'd feel more comfortable wearing that under a bike jacket with its included armour removed.

However, each jacket and person is different, so you might find a jacket with integrated armour more comfortable.

Sorry, not much help :-)

Just to follow this up I went to Sports bike shops store this weekend to try the knox stuff on. I was impressed with the Urbane shirt but I didn't get on with the all sports jacket so I decided not to buy it. I will consider it at a later date though if I'm looking at getting a leather jacket at some point though.

I've ended up going for Halvarssons gear as I felt this fitted me the best after trying on all sorts of jackets.