Best tracker

Got my new bike yesterday after having my last one stolen. I am now feeling very paranoid. My bike is chained to a metal railing with an Almax chain in a public car park right outside the flats where I live and I now put a disc lock on as well although I know that isn't much of a deterrent. It kind of has an immobiliser is so much as the key is coded and can't be started without it but that didn't stop the last one getting half inched.

Is it worth getting a tracker fitted and if so what would you more knowledgeable folks recommend?

A chap at work had his last bike stolen and fitted a tacker to his new bike. Guess what....

yep stolen, but recovered pretty quickly (same day). I'll find out what make he went for, although from looking into it earlier today Datatool subscriptions seem fairly reasonable.

MCN are offering 33% off tracker and one year subscription for getting an insurance quote and that is a Datatool. It's pants that we have to worry so bloody much

The trouble is a tracker won't stop it getting stolen! yes you may get it back if they haven't found it and removed it but what state would it be in?

Personally I would rather spend the money on making harder for them to take

I did have that thought as well hence this thread. Trying to work out if it is worth it in the long run. Just bloody paranoid about it at the moment

From reading your post when the bike was stolen it seems fairly certain your bike was targeted by professionals with a shopping list and one of the bikes they were after was an F800GT. They knew where the bike was, probably because they followed you home... that might have been a car, or more likely another bike or scooter type bike. They looked at where it was parked, what security was in place and concluded they could get it away nice and easy. My bet is its no longer in western europe.

so.. the new bike. 1. never park it where it can be seen from the road by passing vehicles. 2. always have an eye on your mirrors for the final approach to your home, if you have the slightest suspicion you are being followed then take a turn around the block and see what happens. 3... always use your locks and chains and cover it fast.

Rather than a tracker... maybe look at some kind of alarm system that will send you a text.

If they dont know where it is... how can they target it?

if they do target it.. make it as difficult as possible.

covering it makes it more anonymous. make it difficult to spot.

Theres nothing wrong with paranoia.. but if this was a professional job. then they are long gone and moved to another area... with another shopping list.

I've fitted a tracker but really just for the fun of it. If it gets nicked, I don't want it back.

But I don't leave it anywhere to get nicked and I'm always careful about people following me home and I never keep my garage door open for people to know it's there.

The tracker i have will send me text messages. Only cost a few quid and has a cheap giffgaff sim card.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour...

If you do go for any tracker, just bear in mind that it's only the actual 'Tracker' branded unit that Police can actively track, real time. Anything else is playing catch up if it's on the move.

Just to let yas know...