Paddock Stands

I haven't had a paddock stand, but did purchase an abba stand a few weeks back, I'd definitely recommend it - very easy to fit and almost effortless to raise the bike up so that the rear wheel is off the ground.

Also you can get a front lift arm if you want to raise the front of the bike.

So, centre stands are rather too expensive for me just now, but I do need to be able to clean and lube the chain properly. What's TMBF's verdict on paddock stands like this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ConStands-Paddock-Triumph-Single-adaptor/dp/B00KJ6E35I

I have used one of those in the past and was a good bit of kit

So, centre stands are rather too expensive for me just now, but I do need to be able to clean and lube the chain properly. What's TMBF's verdict on paddock stands like this one?

I have the same one and use it for the Daytona, but I've never had to lift the Tiger with it as I have a centre stand. I'm not sure I'd want to TBH as you need to hold the rear of the bike upright with one hand, while you push the handle of the paddock stand down with the other. Once you've got downward pressure on both paddock stand wheels the bike won't fall, but up to that point the Tiger is a tall and heavy bike to be holding upright, from the rear, with one hand.

I have the same one and use it for the Daytona, but I've never had to lift the Tiger with it as I have a centre stand. I'm not sure I'd want to TBH as you need to hold the rear of the bike upright with one hand, while you push the handle of the paddock stand down with the other. Once you've got downward pressure on both paddock stand wheels the bike won't fall, but up to that point the Tiger is a tall and heavy bike to be holding upright, from the rear, with one hand.

So what you're saying is I should practice with yours instead then? :mrgreen:

Just put a bloody centre stand on it.. you can get one for £150. if money is really THAT tight... I'll lend it you and you can repay me when you get back from Spain and are back on a financial even keel.

Edited by Gerontious

So what you're saying is I should practice with yours instead then? :mrgreen:

:lol:

I can let you see mine, but the Daytona is sitting on it just now, and chained through the back wheel and the paddock stand to the floor, chained to the Tiger at the front, and disc locked, plus there's loads of heavy stuff piled between the garage wall and the back of the bike, on top of the paddock stand handle. I'm just hoping that if a thief does get into my garage, he'll look at how much hassle it is to get the bike off the paddock stand and out, he'll say "f**k it" and leave.

Just put a bloody centre stand on it.. you can get one for £150. if money is really THAT tight... I'll lend it you and you can repay me when you get back from Spain and are back on a financial even keel.

Good advice! ^^^^^

I didn't realise they were £150. In that case £70 on a paddock stand now is £70 wasted, you'd be better waiting and putting that money towards the centre stand when you've got the other £80.

Then again, he may say b0!!0cks and leave, depending on the nature of his swearing preference. :shock: :D

The Tiger is also chained and disk locked.

I'm hoping they'd say bollocks before trying to get into the garage. The up and over doors have extra bolts on the inside so they can't be forced up with a crowbar, the garage is alarmed and right next to my bedroom window, and it's covered by CCTV at the top of a private driveway where anyone that comes past the gateposts at the bottom are stand out like a sore thumb because they have no business being there, and they are basically trapped in there if they get confronted.

The bikes are SORN with no insurance at the moment, so I really don't want them getting nicked.

This seller has ONE ONLY...

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/tiger-1050-se--sport-center-stand--main-stand-one-only-sku-hps1161110000b-35617-p.asp

though its actually £4.99 more due to delivery costs.. (I checked) £154.98 total.

The description says its for your bike.. and also fits the revamped 2016 model.. so i would double check that before pushing the buy button.

And in the meanwhile: clean - push - clean - push - clean - push - lube - push - lube - push - lube - push :lol:

My paddock stand is on its way out so I've been doing that a lot lately :P

Or just stick a jack underneath the dogbones, rear wheel will lift, and bike is very stable on the tripod created by the jack, sidestand and front wheel, and you can spin the rear.

Just put a bloody centre stand on it.. you can get one for £150.

That is the most sensible option really - I'm just trying to be sensible with money too, for wider household PR purposes! :lol:

And in the meanwhile: clean - push - clean - push - clean - push - lube - push - lube - push - lube - push :lol:

Trouble with this is that my driveway is clean - push - clean - fall down a hill.

[mention]Baloo[/mention] Wasn't being serious, even before seeing how awkward your bikes are to access! Sounds like they'll be safe though!

you have no room... but, adding a centre stand and raising it onto that will give you that little extra room in the space you have to do maintenance where its normally parked, rather than having to heft it over to the front of your shed.

Or just stick a jack underneath the dogbones, rear wheel will lift, and bike is very stable on the tripod created by the jack, sidestand and front wheel, and you can spin the rear.

Blimey, I wouldn't have thought to try that on something as big as a Tiger! Done similar on mine before, rocked the bike onto the side stand then turned the wheel a bit and plonked it down again with a different bit of chain exposed. And in reverse when I needed the front wheel off (with the jack under the sump guard), but then mine weighs half as much :lol:

Trouble with this is that my driveway is clean - push - clean - fall down a hill.

Whoops :lol:

Edited by RantMachine

Or you can use a breaker bar if you have one the right length

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/sTE610vE/Trail%20Stand%202/7.jpg

you have no room... but, adding a centre stand and raising it onto that will give you that little extra room in the space you have to do maintenance where its normally parked, rather than having to heft it over to the front of your shed.

I just move the car and clean it on the driveway - worked well with the old bike, and loads of room. :thumb:

Blimey, I wouldn't have thought to try that on something as big as a Tiger! Done similar on mine before, rocked the bike onto the side stand then turned the wheel a bit and plonked it down again with a different bit of chain exposed. And in reverse when I needed the front wheel off (with the jack under the sump guard), but then mine weighs half as much :lol:

I use a 2 tonne bottle jack will lift a car very easily, the heavier the bike the more stable it will be. So long as you haven't taken the rear wheel off, the worst that will happen if the jack fails or gets knocked out, is the bike will dump itself back down onto the rear wheel. You only need to lift it until the rear wheel is a half inch off the ground. It would take one hell of a push to get it to fall in the direction of the side stand.

*car falls down hill*

You joke, but most of our friends won't park directly outside of our house, and the neighbour's van sometimes rolls gently into the tree he parks uphill from! :shock: