Hey

I'm new here, and not even a bike owner yet. Just did my CBT last week, looking at DAS soon.

One thing I need to work out is how to store a bike. My garage is full of junk, but blocked by 2 cars anyway so I'd have the hassle of moving them to get a bike out.

I've got a bit of space down the side of my house which would fit a metal shed, and I could put a CCTV camera in place to cover it.

I wondered if anybody had recommendations and advice on these? What size? Side door, or front door? Security considerations etc.

Bike wise, my current lust is a Triumph Street Twin. So nothing mega long, wide or high.

Cheers in advance

Rich

My bike has to live outside, so I got a big chain, lock, and ground anchor set into the wall of the house, along with a dark cover. No sheds were really suitable for where my bike has to live, so can't help on that front I'm afraid.

Wouldn't get a metal shed. They don't breath, they condensate in winter and get too hot in summer. Also metal looks like you have something to hide and cost a fortune!

Get a cheap wooden shed instead.

My bike has to live outside, so I got a big chain, lock, and ground anchor set into the wall of the house, along with a dark cover. No sheds were really suitable for where my bike has to live, so can't help on that front I'm afraid.

If I do that, my bike will be very visible and accessible to passers by. Should I be worried? I guess it's not much different to parking it up in a public car park, except you can use a ground anchor.

Wouldn't get a metal shed. They don't breath, they condensate in winter and get too hot in summer. Also metal looks like you have something to hide and cost a fortune!

Get a cheap wooden shed instead.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

I could build a wooden shelter easily enough against the wall of my house. I'd interested to know how easy it would be to push a bike backwards into a narrow hut, or should I put the doors on the side?

Easy to build a shelter yes. Also it would be more spacious than a bought shed as you could join to the house and use the house as one wall, and take the other side right up to the fence (or whatevers on the other side)

How wide is the gap? I push my bike backwards to slot it between other bike and shelving in my junk filled garrage

I've got a strip of gravel down the side of the house which is just wide enough to park my VW Transport van on - 1.8metres.

So, that's plenty wide enough, just that I'd rather it wasn't the full width because it'll look funny.

Is it easy to push the bike in and out without being able to get along side it? I guess you fold the stand down first.

Can you not squeeze the bike between the cars. I can normally get away with that unless my Mrs parks to far over. Then get a shed and move some of the junk into that to make space in the garage for the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

So, having passed my theory test today I'm thinking harder about this.

My current plan is to build a fairly simple wooden shed, using decking planks so it looks nice. One long side will be against a garden wall, the other will face out onto my gravel driveway. Access will be from one of the ends. To make getting the bike in and out easy, I'm thinking of creating a sliding/rolling platform for the front wheel, with a chock attached. I'd roll the bike forwards onto that at the door of the shed, then push it into the shed from the rear.

For security I'd put a disk lock on the front wheel before sliding it into the shed, and use a ground anchor near the door with a heavy duty chain to secure the frame and rear wheel.

I'm looking at ways of building the shed structure to be relatively secure too, and I'd try to make it as watertight as possible with some ventilation built in.

Like a skateboard for your bike!

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me...

I was indeed thinking of a set of skateboard trucks, running on a guided rail so there's less chance of something going wrong.

It's going to topple over!

Safer to have the shed roll back on wheels..

But easier if you could just open the front and side, wheel it in, then close the side and front of the shed..

Fair point. I might be able to find a proper sliding platform that wouldn't topple. Or, just put a set of wheels on the top edges too, which run on an inverted track so the skateboard is secured in position.

Your local plumbers merchants will almost certainly let you take all of their delivery pallets ( not blue ones ) a cheap source of materials for your bike shed. Pop in & have a word with them first though. 🖒

Tell your insurance you're keeping a bike in a shed instead of your garage: buy lube, bend over, accept tumescent delivery.

I've had quotes already for keeping it "on private property" and it isn't too bad.

I like your idea - it would work if you figured the slider part out. Maybe a couple of bits of steel C-section either side of the trucks (cheap version) or some linear bearings (not so cheap).

I reckon it's worth a go anyway.

Tankbag is right about the pallets - they're only worth 50p used and if you've got the time and patients to separate them up they can be a good source of cheap wood.

I like your idea - it would work if you figured the slider part out. Maybe a couple of bits of steel C-section either side of the trucks (cheap version) or some linear bearings (not so cheap).

I reckon it's worth a go anyway.

Tankbag is right about the pallets - they're only worth 50p used and if you've got the time and patients to separate them up they can be a good source of cheap wood.

I'm looking at linear bearings now. I don't mind spending a bit of money to get a good solution. I have very little in the way of options, other than maybe to rent a garage miles away. And I like a DIY project.

If the shed is wide enough for the handlebars it's wide enough for you to be sitting on the bike as it goes into the shed. Low roof might mean you have to lay on the tank, or have a hinged roof!

The Dolly looks very good - stable, strong, cheap. I could create tracks to guide it in and out. Only issue would be that the shed will be opening into gravel so that's why I was looking at a front wheel only system.

The screw based anchors are also tempting. I'm worried that I can't drive one into my heavy clay soil though.

i priced up those sheds when i got my bike, considering i paid £850 for my bike, £500 on a shed seemed a bit daft lol

Ive got a chain (16" so can resist all but the biggest bolt cutters) a ground anchor, a cctv cam that hooks up to my pc and iphone (£50!) and an alarmed padlock from work (£10)

Way i see it if they want my bike there gonna get it so i would advise just make it as secure as you can for a reasonable amount of money, enough to deter your average chav and you should be good :)

A bike cover and some tarpaulin keep the worst of the weather off

when i upgrade to something worth nicking then i might look into something a bit more secure like a wooden shed :)

Tell your insurance you're keeping a bike in a shed instead of your garage: buy lube, bend over, accept tumescent delivery.

I've had quotes already for keeping it "on private property" and it isn't too bad.

I pay an extra £175 for parking on the driveway with no additional security just for the sheer ease of not having to worry about putting the bike away every moment i return home ..