Care of leather and textile gear

hi guys

Today i had a very big meeting with rain while I was coming back to home, everything is really really wet, especially boots

Now I'm just trying to dry it all asap, using newspaper, rice for boots etc

My question is: what Is the best way for care of leather boots when it will be dry enough, I know I should cream it with something. Do you recommend something?

What do you thing about spraying leather boots and gloves and textile jacket and trousers with waterproof from deichmann. Someone used it before?

It's armr boots, rst jacket and trousers if it help you

https://m.deichmann.com/GB/en/shop/default_category//0000900093909800000001/2985301.prod

Please

Just dubbin for the leather boots, to rehydrate and protect the leather. It won't make them waterproof, but nothing short of a plastic bag will if they aren't already. You might want to try gore tex socks http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sealskinz-mtb-trail-mid-socks-ss17/rp-prod158571?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sZk48Himh_dc|pcrid|161850070953|pkw||pmt||prd|581291UK

Wash your textile gear twice in the washing machine using this stuff, following the instructions https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/192577-nikwax-tech-wash-and-tx-direct-twin-pack.html

For occasional spray on waterproofing, use this https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/197152-nikwax-tx-direct-spray-on-300ml.html

Again, it's not a miracle cure, if your gear isn't waterproof, nothing you spray on it is going to make it waterproof, but using this stuff will help the gear last longer in the rain before it starts to leak.

Waterproof motorbike gear is a bit of a myth unless you are spending £800 upwards on stuff like Halvarssons, Rukka or Klim.

RST is good stuff and will do the majority of what most bikers need, but if you ride in torrential rain for hour after hour, eventually most stuff will leak, it's a case of how long is stays water resistant, as opposed to actually being waterproof.

Regarding the leather boots, dubbing is best or some of the G-wax which will help run water off the top of the boot but it will eventually soak in and as said above short of plastic bags or Gore-Tex socks in seriously heavy rain you will get wet and it will just run down your legs from your trousers in to your boots anyway :)

Jackets are a tough one - I have found if you want waterproof for anything more than a short shower its either £800+ on kit or just buy a £30 Army Gore-Tex jacket and wear it over the top. You will still get water ingress from around your neck and up your sleeves but it will deflect the worst of it as it wont be pushed in to the textile jacket at 60+mph, your jacket also wont get heavy with water and it's great as a wind blocker as well to keep any warmth around your core.

Bonus is they are small enough to stash under a seat and will make your leather jacket waterproof too :P

I now just ride in a leather jacket all year which I purchased with a little extra room to layer up with thermals in winter and a belt zipper to attach to my Kevlar jeans in the event of the worst, it also stops the wind blowing up your back in cold and wet weather :)

Only when it gets seriously cold (where I would question riding at all) will I pull out the thermal textile jacket and even then if in crap weather I will still slap on the Army jacket over the top for wind and water protection.

Waterproof motorbike gear is a bit of a myth unless you are spending £800 upwards on stuff like Halvarssons, Rukka or Klim.

I have Hein Gericke gear, bought from ebay for about £70 total for jacket and trousers.

Washed and proofed using the Nikwax stuff you had a link and it is properly waterproof.

I have had long days in Scotland on the bike where it rained continuously and the only part of me to get wet was my hands, but then the gloves didn't claim to be waterproof.

There is a sequence with the trousers though:

1 - You think they might have leaked around the crotch a bit.

2 - You're pretty sure they have.

3 - You know they have

4 - You get to your destination, take them off, and find they haven't

I guess it's because they lose a lot of their breathability when really wet.

It may also help that I ride a BMW RT1200, which means a lot of the weather just passes me bye as long as I'm going at a reasonable pace. :lol: