First gloves

Was at J&S in Finedon yesterday looking at getting myself kitted out - only just done CBT, planning DAS in the coming months.

Gloves was the only thing that I didn't come away understanding much about, and having an idea of what I wanted.

I expect to be riding in a leisurely way mostly. Days out just to practise, maybe a weekend trip away. Bike is likely to be a retro or retro styled, comfortable ride rather than anything sporty. My eye is on the Triumph Street Twin, for example.

I would like something that can handle a little bit of rain, just in case. Something that keeps the wind out but doesn't get too hot. Something not too bulky so that I can feel what I'm doing. Probably the same desires as everybody!

What's a good first glove, that won't break the bank and gives decent features.

One that fits well!

Afraid I can't give any advice on specific gloves/brands other than my own limited experience. I have a pair of medium-weight IXS goretex gloves, and really thin mesh Richa summer ones (but with leather palms and a big plastic knuckle guard too). My hands don't really get too cold, so those two pairs are just about good for everything between them, although I'm tending to take both out at the moment and swap if I need to.

However it took me ages to find some which fitted comfortably, and I tried on loads.

Sounds like you probably want a pair of thinnish leather gloves, but there's no one glove which covers all eventualities. Welcome to the world of needing multiples of everything!

Gloves I find really hard to find ones I like. However I love my RST stunt gloves (I have the first version, but I think they are on 3rd generation of them now). They are vented summer gloves. Every pair of "winter" gloves I have tried the fingers are way to long, or wide. Non vented gloves end all to clammy for my linking.

So I wear my RST gloves all year, and have done for the past two years. Granted I don't ride when it is torrential rain outside, or snowing/ice on the road. But for extra warmth I have a Held outlast glove liner that I stick in them, and for extra waterproofness, medical latex gloves I have acquired from my mum :roll: Works a treat :thumb:

They cost me £40 nearly 3 years ago (I used them as a pillion before I got my own bike) I think you can pick them up for between £35-55 now depending on which generation you get.

I have more than one pair.

For most riding, I love a thin pair of fawn summer gloves. They probably offer next to no protection but they're eleven years old and I love them.

I've got some thick ones with waterproof lining for long distance & wet weather work.

Then I've got some claws that turns my hands into Dr Zoidberg during winter.

IMG_0680.thumb.JPG.ca5ae5c2b1714ff9706eaa079a05584c.JPG

In almost forty years of riding, I reckon gloves are the single most overhyped and overpriced accessory - as in almost all will fail when it rains, gets cold or you crash. Either that or I've been spectacularly unlucky with my succession of purchases. Get something that fits, that you like, and that carries the claims it does what you want. And then don't be surprised if it doesn't do them that well. :thumb:

If they fit well and the wrist closure keeps them on your hands properly, go for it. :thumb:

I had a very short pair (shorter than those) I was given for free, and whilst they fitted ok in the fingers the wrist strap was useless and I could pull them straight off when done up, so I ditched them.