Some vision issues

Hello all, so now I've finally got riding a bit on my own, I've noticed a couple of things around my ability to see whilst riding.

So I've got an AGV K3SV model helmet (the loveliest of pink and blue courtesy of Guy Martin :P :P ) and I've got the pinlock fitted to it. I also require glasses while I ride/drive.

So I'm in the process of eliminating the glasses and I'm going to try contacts, but basically I'm finding at the moment, between my glasses, the limited field of view that comes with a helmet and the pinlock edges that my line of sight is broken when I'm scanning around and it feels like its distracting me. I also find that despite the pinlock fitted my visor does still have a tendency to fog up.

I should point out that I believe the visor fogs still because I made a complete mess of fitting the pinlock and it isn't very secure.

But overall I feel much comfier riding with the visor up as opposed to being shut, because at that point all I have to distract me slightly is the rims of my glasses.

So has anyone had or noticed these things before? It just feels like the lines from the pinlock and my glasses rims create a lot of little breaks in what I'm seeing.

Also I've ordered a helmet cleaning pack (Oxford one of Amazon) which includes an anti-fog mist. I'm going to attempt using that and removing the pinlock for a week or two and if it doesn't work very well I'll probably bite the bullet and order a fresh pinlock.

Your pinlock certainly isn't fitted right. I don't wear glasses, but it took me no effort to adjust to a pinlock visor when I got my first one. I've used them in the rain and cold without any fogging.

I've tried various anti fog things, and a properly fitted pinlock is the best out the lot.

Don't yet me wrong, it does occasionally still fog on really "bad" days. But 90% of the time it stays clear. It should be complete flush against the visor, no gaps or bubbles of wiggly bits.

The actual pins are eccentric so if you turn them it alters the "curve" of the pinlock to enable a tight fit against the visor.

with a good fit you should not be able to slide a piece of paper between the silicon bead of the pinlock and the visor.

However even if the visor stays mist free your glasses wont.

Also on some visors with a small field of vision you will see the edge of the pinlock. On my Shoei Raid i could see the top edge. Changed the pinlock for a race version which had a higher top edge.

I'm convinced Pinlock simply doesn't work in some helmets.

I've got a Caberg Duke and it's hopeless. For a while it sat in place, a bit squished. Then, after a couple of months, it refused to ever stay in place. Cleaned it, reseated it - nope - it simply doesn't want to play.

It's now sitting in my garage bin and I've gone back to washing-up liquid.

Thanks guys. Contacts are the first thing to look at getting sorted for sure, as for the pin lock I ripped it off my visit mid ride home tonight because I flipped the visor down and the pin lock was so lose it prevented the visor from closing. Its gone and I'll deal with the little mist I have to for now and maybe look into getting another one sorted next week.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Contacts are a lot better than glass's when riding i can vouch for that buddy but i dont have problems wearing either

Not when you need verifocal glasses. :x wear my contacts and can't always see the SatNav. :twisted: Fortunatly the Digital speedo is readable. :D

Thanks guys. Contacts are the first thing to look at getting sorted for sure, as for the pin lock I ripped it off my visit mid ride home tonight because I flipped the visor down and the pin lock was so lose it prevented the visor from closing. Its gone and I'll deal with the little mist I have to for now and maybe look into getting another one sorted next week.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Not sure how the pinlock was so loose. When mine are fitted it's a fight to get it onto the visor and an even bigger fight to get it off. :?

It's the helmet.

I had a k3 (not the guy Martin one I hasten to add).

The pinlock was terrible on it.

Also the vision was obscured in a arse down position.

The K5 is a much better thought out helmet.

Also I swear by the hjc is17 for commuting.

I wear glasses and went through the whole contacts thing. It's worth it.

Cheers Neil. I'm rather fortunate that my dad still has his brand spanker helmet from when he had his last bike which he's gonna sling my way so I may end up using that a little more maybe.

This is all stuff that you don't really appreciate until you're living with a bike and riding, before now I'd never have thought of these little things.

I think some of us must just be 'heavy breathers'. I ride with glasses and pinlock and I get problems with fogging quite a lot of the time. Sometimes even at unexpected times, like in the summer with my glasses fogging up early in the ride.

It's not specifically the helmet, I have been through several trying to find one that works. And part of it is certainly riding a bike with decent wind protection.

I don't think there is a 'one size fits all' solution, you just have to find the one that works for you.

This is really a very individual thing - some of my mates wear contacts and love them. I wore them for years and eventually had to accept they don't work for me.

The one thing about contacts and riding bikes is the very occasional times when something got into my eye even with a full face helmet and the visor down. It only happened occasionally but since I have to wear gas permeable lenses it was horrendous when it did.

I tried soft lenses but they just didn't work for me - but they do for most people.

So for me it's glasses and full face flip, and I don't generally have any major fogging issues. But for you it may be entirely different. All you can do is to try and see what works for you.

i have this same helmet and the pinlock is rubbish in it. whereas my shoei qwest's pinlock was amazing.

regarding the field of view, the k3 does seem a little narrower compared to the qwest but you'll get used to it, get some more miles in on nice weather so you dont have to worry about scanning for poor road conditions etc and just enjoy it. and you'll soon get used to that field of view.

i have this same helmet and the pinlock is rubbish in it. whereas my shoei qwest's pinlock was amazing.

regarding the field of view, the k3 does seem a little narrower compared to the qwest but you'll get used to it, get some more miles in on nice weather so you dont have to worry about scanning for poor road conditions etc and just enjoy it. and you'll soon get used to that field of view.

Or just sell it at a massive loss like I did :crybaby:

Contacts are a lot better than glass's when riding i can vouch for that buddy but i dont have problems wearing either

Not when you need verifocal glasses. :x wear my contacts and can't always see the SatNav. :twisted: Fortunatly the Digital speedo is readable. :D

I use varifocal lenses, they're readily available.