Motorbike Security

Hi,

My bike a Honda PCX was almost stolen last night, i have cctv and security light on my bike at all times as well as a ground anchor with what i thought was a good chain lock (10mm) and padlock, a disc lock and i must admit a cheap alarm. Luckily i think a combination of cheap alarm and myself disturbing them prevented it being put in the back of their van. They had tried to cut the ground anchor to pull the chain out but this appears to have failed so moved onto the padlock which they did manage to cut through and break at which point i believe the alarm triggered a warning as they ran off but then returned when it seemed no one had noticed but ran off again as i believe i disturbed them when i turned a light on and told our dog off all by chance. My bike is currently in my hallway so is secure for now as i wait for 2 new ground anchors to come but my question is what more can i do to keep my bike safe, ie- a new alarm, different chains and locks etc but which is best.

I will add my old bike another PCX was stolen 8 months ago with my insurance doubling, i am now at a point if this bike gets stolen i won't be able to afford my insurance so will be off the road and back to the dreaded bus.

Thank you for any help

Lyn.

Big chain and padlock, almax now do a 22mm link chain for example. Unless they use oxy acetylene then they are going to have to make a bit of noisr getting through that.

Unfortunately if they have their mind set on taking it then who knows what lengths they will go to.

Unfortunately I think CCTV is not much of a deterrent these days, they just make sure their faces are covered. When it comes to security the key factor is time - the longer it takes for them to break through the protection the more chance there is of them being disturbed, the more effort is involved, and the higher the risk for the thieves.

I agree with the above post that a 10mm chain isn't going to stop anyone for long. You need something thicker than that and, ideally, two chains (connected to separate ground anchors would be even better) so it takes twice as long for them to cut through. You also need some sort of noise maker to alert you (or others) to the fact that someone is tampering with the bike. Whether that is an alarm on the bike, or some sort of alarmed chain, the key is that you need to be able to hear it. If the alarm is going off and you sleep through it then it's worthless.

Clearly your address is being targeted. Thieves will often return to the location of a successful 'boost' to try and take the replacement bike. You need to make it too difficult and unpleasant an experience for them so they go look somewhere else. Good luck!