Renntec Sports Rack and Top Boxes

Morning,

I briefly read on a different forum a post by another user that fitting a top box to a Renntec sports rack was not a good idea. No further explanation provided.

Is there anyone who has done this, and can they let me know if all is well with it?

I finally got hold of a sports rack for my curvy SV650S and tempted to get a top box on it.

Thoughts?

Appreciated!

Had a Renntec rack on my GPX750 with a top box fitted.

the rack was fitted to the hand grip points 4 in all and the rack failed on the lower points due to the flexing of the rack with the top box as it sat further back than the edge of the rack.

Did not bother me as i just added "weld fixing point" to the general service schedule of the bike.

If the fixing points for yours are firm and well spaced may not be too much of a problem.

(eventually i fitted a wing rack bought cheap off ebay by making up my own support brackets)

Givi Shad etc boxes matched to base plate. then base plates can be i 2 styles.

1 fix to there own frame system

2 generic fit for tubular racks etc.

This is just the GIVI base for example to fit tubular racks. givi box required.

http://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/Givi-Luggage/Givi-E251-Universal-Monokey-Plate-9550/

Universal from Amazon for example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Homcom-Motorcycle-Scooter-Luggage-Universal/dp/B0055RFRGA/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1503483185&sr=8-14&keywords=motorbike+top+box

Bend you own brackets.

Hi, As JHR has said you can fit a topbox to a renntec rack, this is a couple of photo's to show you my way of fitting, if you stick a plate on rack then weight is over end of rack, so I sat my normal pillion on bike, and lifted plate up and over grab rail.

this still gave room for pillion but also moved weight inwards, hence the rack never broke on mine!!

Just study pics may be of some help.

IMG_0002.thumb.jpg.5b053598081e1852c6401f65c6414dbd.jpg

IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.13b78916ba3ac8937ac6e6944e0ae724.jpg

+ the supports on your rack look more substantial than for the GPX

The lower fixing points were the ones that went as the rack tried to pivot about the upper fixings so everything was in a line.

Hopefully the fixing points for [mention]markhibberd5[/mention] rack will be more spaced out and braced.

1912742131_GPXrack.thumb.jpg.f89569a40f39c411d470bd3394130829.jpg

Morning,

I briefly read on a different forum a post by another user that fitting a top box to a Renntec sports rack was not a good idea. No further explanation provided.

Is there anyone who has done this, and can they let me know if all is well with it?

yes.. it bent the sub frame ... CBR600f, 45l givi box,

yes.. the rack fractured across the main bracing... YZF R1 .. (not a top box.. but a textile bag ... 5kg inc. contents.)

I finally got hold of a sports rack for my curvy SV650S and tempted to get a top box on it.

Thoughts?

Appreciated!

buy the proper kit ...

because it was hilarious watchin a givi box bouncing down the road .. scatterin all his holiday clothes all over the road ...

and I did warn him.

I bought a Renntec rack for the TRX, but quickly realised it was poorly designed and near useless. So I did this instead:

2013-06-24-140.jpg

Much stronger, though it does make getting on and off more of a challenge. Something to think about perhaps?

Morning,

yes.. it bent the sub frame ... CBR600f, 45l givi box,

yes.. the rack fractured across the main bracing... YZF R1 .. (not a top box.. but a textile bag ... 5kg inc. contents.)

Thoughts?

Appreciated!

buy the proper kit ...

because it was hilarious watchin a givi box bouncing down the road .. scatterin all his holiday clothes all over the road ...

and I did warn him.

That must of been slightly hilarious for you to watch, but not for the poor rider. Unfortunately, kits are hard to come by for the 2000 SV650S. I think people tend up making their own.

I bought a Renntec rack for the TRX, but quickly realised it was poorly designed and near useless. So I did this instead:

2013-06-24-140.jpg

Much stronger, though it does make getting on and off more of a challenge. Something to think about perhaps?

I've seen these before, but my Mrs loves being pillion on the bike and so the rack was bought in order for her to not need to wear a rucksack on our travels. She did that once in the heat, for a 2 night stay in Bristol after a ride across the south. Poor girl nearly fainted!!

I think a lot will depend on how the rack is designed with regards to the fixing points. As I said on the GPX the fixings were in my opinion too close and did not distribut the loading forces enough.

If you are handy with welding etc you could have a go at fabricating some supports.

For the GPX I bought a Givi Wing rack of EBay and some random fixing kit for about £15 then fabricated fixings from the rear sub frame and rear pegs.

Attached shows the finished result but not too clear on details.

image.thumb.jpeg.ec72d3b416cf8eaf189f9084d1b1369b.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Update and good news, I got it sorted!

Now look at the view a truck driver will have of your rear lights and brake light .... not visible with that overhang !

I would move the plate inwards to reduce overhang .And fit a secondary brake/tail light on the box

Update and good news, I got it sorted!

Now look at the view a truck driver will have of your rear lights and brake light .... not visible with that overhang !

I would move the plate inwards to reduce overhang .And fit a secondary brake/tail light on the box

Fair point, hadn't considered it. Will take another look. :shock: :thumb:

• 2 years later...

I had a renntec sports rack on my GPX with a top box. Had to weld/braze the rack fittings and support a few times. Gave up in the end and made a GIVI rack fit. Had to make up the fittings as GIVI no longer supported the GPX.

If you carry more than a couple of kilo the rack will fail.

Didn't use the big box in the end, used a more manageable size one :thumb:

I wouldn't explain it well so I took pictures. The metal bolts/nutd were what held it on. Haven't had any problems. Nothing too heavy in the box though, but it's been useful.

20200629_182618.thumb.jpg.8d6dbddafe1a7c7d30177f7ce1005e91.jpg

20200629_182605.thumb.jpg.369fe7171944079881792a53f3151c7e.jpg

20200629_182524.thumb.jpg.d28e5e5037dc860b9f15d20bfaab0240.jpg

[mention]Moonraker[/mention] those mounting points look much more substantial than fit the GPX.

Didn't use the big box in the end, used a more manageable size one :thumb:

I wouldn't explain it well so I took pictures. The metal bolts/nutd were what held it on. Haven't had any problems. Nothing too heavy in the box though, but it's been useful.

20200629_182618.jpg

20200629_182605.jpg

20200629_182524.jpg

That certainly looks to do the trick.

I think I’ve realised I’ll need to buy a full Gigi rack as I want it to store photography gear in. Which is pretty heavy (my current backpack weighs 20kg but think I can slim it down to something nearer 8 or 9 in if a top box.