First gear advice

Hello everyone,

Should be getting my first bike soon, and I'm not 100% sure what gear to go for. Looking at RST at the moment.

My budget is around £300, but that can be raised if need be. What helmet, trousers, jacket, boots and gloves do you recommend to suit my budget?

Thanks!

Infinity Motorcycles are doing a full winter kit bundle for £300.

Doesn't include a helmet, but you'll be hard pressed to get a full set of gear for that price unless you trawl eBay for used bargains - in which case, there's little point in recommending specific products because it'll be down to what's available.

Infinity Motorcycles are doing a full winter kit bundle for £300.

Doesn't include a helmet, but you'll be hard pressed to get a full set of gear for that price unless you trawl eBay for used bargains - in which case, there's little point in recommending specific products because it'll be down to what's available.

Hi, thanks for the response. I'm more than willing to raise the budget if I have to considering this stuff could save my life one day. Do you have a link to that bundle? Can't find it on their site.

First gear is the first click down on the gear lever..........oh! wrong first gear :lol:

What is your location? fill that in and people can recommend where to go for your gear!

You are best off going to a shop and having a look about and get something to match your budget

do you want winter gear or all round?

RST could eat that budget up in just a pair of trousers depending on your needs!

First gear is the first click down on the gear lever..........oh! wrong first gear :lol:

What is your location? fill that in and people can recommend where to go for your gear!

You are best off going to a shop and having a look about and get something to match your budget

do you want winter gear or all round?

RST could eat that budget up in just a pair of trousers depending on your needs!

Thanks for the response. I'll fill my details in now.

Preferably I'd like gear that will last all year round since I'm currently a student and low on cash.

Stuff that fits properly is much more valuable to you than higher price things. So I would definitely suggest going to a large bike shop like J&S accessories or similler where there is a big range of brands and sizes. The folk in the shop will be able to advise you of what you need and which brands would probably fit you best after talking to you. - They are normally realy helpful in bike shops, so don't be afraid to jsut say "I'm new to biking, help me buy stuff!"

Top brands for me are RST and Halvarssons.

I started off cheap and have gradually replacing with more expensive stuff... As I realised when I just tallied up my current gear :shock:

yeah go to a shop. if you're riding all year then decent waterproof gloves are worth the extra spend. Cheap waterproof overtrousers (ex army/police gortex are great and around 15 quid) are in my opinion money well spent. again a bit of extra cash for waterproof boots will be well spent. You will thank me when you're not riding with ice cold wet feet.

To be fair, there are many decent second hand Jackets, Trousers, Gloves available if you have time to trawl ebay, I got a 2nd Hand Scott leather jacket for £35.00 a few years ago and it was almost brand new, still wearing it today as well (well not right now, I've just got out the bath). :shock:

Join a few facebook motorbike groups, there are always people flogging stuff they no longer use or have outgrown, you just have to be patient and wait for the right bargains.

I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand lid (just a personal choice that) but you can get a decent new one for less than £100 these days.

Like others I can vouch for RST kit. It's well made, comfy and not expensive for the quality. I'm lucky that we have a J&S just down the road because to be honest it's a case of trying stuff on to find what suits you.

If younger to stick to the budget you'll need to buy some of it used but there's some good bargains to be had if you've got time to look. Personally I wouldn't scrimp on a helmet because a good helmet totally changes your riding experience.

Best of luck.