20% off at J and S?

Hello everyone,

As a newbie I was looking to buy my gear after taking my CBT and before DAS. But I just saw on their website that J and S are doing 20 per cent off everything online and in store. Seeing as I have to buy the lot (good helmet and all the other decent safety gear) I was thinking of getting it now with the 20 per cent off to save a fair bit. My question is am I better off waiting if this is just a ploy that retailers do normally to get rid of older stock or before bigger sales around the new year when perhaps sales of biking gear is slower due to the winter weather?

Cheers for any advice and a big thanks for the warm welcome I got in the newbie section! :cheers:

ahoy hoy

I'd compare their prices against other online retailers. if there is one near you go try on stuff if you like it and think the price is reasonable go for it. As you said you'll need it and as is the way regardless of how cheap you buy it you'll find it cheaper 2 months later :lol:

Cheers for the reply Megawatt.

Any recommendations in regards to getting fully kitted out for a newb if you reckon J and S are more expensive? Or I guess the bigger chains will be more anyway?

I've bought several things from the J & S outlet warehouse in Finedon.....seemed pretty reasonable to me...... 8-) Got my Bell carbon lid there.....was 50% off list price....then they had a new years sale with another 30% off....£500 lid for less than £200......result!....... 8-)

J&S are always up for negotiation. I've been in there before got the sales guys all excited, then said "so what discount are you going to give me if I buy all this stuff now".

They know full well they have to give a discount otherwise many people will simply walk out and buy online, so be cheeky and ask for your discount! That's why these discount events are bad in a way as its a reason for them to say no more discounts, but prices are not fixed so haggle them hard!

2nd hand on ebay you can get some good kit at good prices. I reckon it's best for textiles, as the fit is more forgiving. Harder for leathers and boots, as they need to fit well.

Buy the lid new. I'd really recommend getting it from a shop where they'll help you find a lid that's the right size and that fits.

Ride to Finedon.

The 20% applies to everything in store - and the end of season racks are already massively discounted. I’d theres one thing Northants does well it’s factory outlets. While you’re at it, pop to Doc Martens in Wollaston. :wink:

557474489_ScreenShot2017-11-19at20_12_15.thumb.png.8534be7dbd1c9f32a144bfcb3a70a801.png

And then I got another 20% off.

Pretty damn good value in my book. Plus, they have loops for your wrists when you take them off, which means you can look like the spanner in the school playground who's Mum put a strip of elastic through his coat sleeves. 8-)

So theory passed this week and wanted to get my own gear for CBT and lessons. Tried on loads of helmets and the one that felt the most comfortable was the HJC RPHA ST Murano (rrp £299 but reduced to £199, with 20% off cost £160). Also got an IXS jacket reduced from £199 to £99 so was £80 and Frank Thomas winter gloves for £24 after discount. The gloves seem of reasonable quality so I thought would get these to at least see me through a winter of training and then get better ones for the spring/summer when hopefully I'll have my full license. Being new to buying gear I think I got a pretty good deal, not sure about the RRPs though, but I think the lid was probably close to £299 when it first came out a couple of years ago and seems to be of pretty good quality compared to the cheaper ones I tried. Will pop in again to J and S this Friday and see if I can pick up some good boots and trousers. Any suggestions guys?

Anyways am pleased with my first bit of gear, can't wait to start riding now!

HJC.thumb.jpg.2aa7dbc2dc43d32bfc78804ed3a1d472.jpg

Jacket.thumb.jpg.e1ba112c87c7494e2e6ae83fed80f48c.jpg

gloves.thumb.jpg.f73677b6f805089e8b7fec60ebf5135c.jpg