Dropped Helmet

Just after some advise, I dropped my helmet this morning, hit the concrete floor in my garage with one hell of a clatter, it only appears to be scuffed, the shell isn't cracked or broken, should it be replaced or would it still be OK to use? I know manufacturers guidelines say "change it" but I often look at manufactures advice with a cynical eye, so thought I'd ask the question before breaking any bad news to the missus.

Thanks Guys.....You're mirroring my thoughts, not looking forward to telling the wife I've thrown my £400 helmet on the floor, at least this way I can blame you for the advice :)

I did something similar at a meet with my brand spanking new lid. Bloody thing flopped off of the mirror on to the tarmac. I was right next to [mention]Joeman[/mention] at the time too. :-)

I haven't let it worry me overly.

Fortnine did a video on this. I think it amounts to whether there was anything inside the helmet when it hits the ground as to whether or not the protection is damaged. But it is your head , would you risk it?

Has anyone actually tried to destroy a crash helmet ? I have , many times. When I worked in a bike shop and we were bored on a rainy afternoon we would often try to smash old helmets that customers had asked us to throw away . I don't think we ever succeeded in cracking open a single shell . I seem to recall that the cheaper and nastier the helmet , the harder it was to damage. My favourite method was to swing them by the strap and whack them on the corner of a skip as hard as possible. So what you pay for is mainly the quality of the interior and the shock absorbing properties of the materials. In the light of this I personally wouldn't be too worried about dropping a helmet from a few feet. Incidentally, the only helmet I have ever seen smashed open was an Arai Doohan replica. The wearer survived a high speed track day collision with another bike, well at least their head did .

I've decided to invest in another helmet, I'm 70% certain that this one is probably OK, but as pointed out, you only get one head is it worth the risk, I've seen enough accidents over the years to know that one of the reasons people get up and walk away is not just down to luck, but also due to the quality and integrity of the gear their wearing. Need to blag a bit of overtime now to help pay for it, could have been worse, could of dropped the wife's helmet, would have needed a new head then! :hammer:

I rather like this helmet although it might be a little impractical http://i.imgur.com/2b4O3B3.jpg or alternatively http://i.imgur.com/Hc2V5rU.jpg

Has anyone actually tried to destroy a crash helmet ? I have , many times. When I worked in a bike shop and we were bored on a rainy afternoon we would often try to smash old helmets that customers had asked us to throw away . I don't think we ever succeeded in cracking open a single shell . I seem to recall that the cheaper and nastier the helmet , the harder it was to damage. My favourite method was to swing them by the strap and whack them on the corner of a skip as hard as possible. So what you pay for is mainly the quality of the interior and the shock absorbing properties of the materials. In the light of this I personally wouldn't be too worried about dropping a helmet from a few feet. Incidentally, the only helmet I have ever seen smashed open was an Arai Doohan replica. The wearer survived a high speed track day collision with another bike, well at least their head did .

Ive seen a twice crashed helmet split.

Jump to 07:15...

">

Real food for thought that Joe

It's a whole banquet worth of food!! :lol:

It's a manufacturer telling you in no uncertain terms that a helmet falling from your handlebars is fine to use.

If there was any doubt that it wasn't, they wouldn't dare say that, especially in America (the land of litigation).

You don't get more confirmation than that!

Has anyone actually tried to destroy a crash helmet ?

Yes, I bought a new lid from J&S after I'd dropped my old one and I got to smash it with a hammer.

Took a few swings to get it open.

No relevance to this thread but it's a great stress reliever :thumb:

Yes, I bought a new lid from J&S after I'd dropped my old one and I got to smash it with a hammer.

No relevance to this thread but it's a great stress reliever :thumb:

Must have been a bloody big hammer ! I could never break one.

No relevance to this thread but it's a great stress reliever

Strong arm? :D :lol:

No relevance to this thread but it's a great stress reliever

Crap helmet ? :lol:

Crap helmet ? :lol:

Having seen some small people swing some big hammers, with incredible accuracy and punch its practice.

I knocked the pins in cause we all knew they could come out when required. They knocked them out, I just held the punch, which was not without risk...

Having seen some small people swing some big hammers, with incredible accuracy and punch its practice.

I knocked the pins in cause we all knew they could come out when required. They knocked them out, I just held the punch, which was not without risk...

Sorry, you've completely lost me there. We were discussing the enormous effort required to deliberately destroy a crash helmet in contrast to the very small potential for damage that might result from dropping one from a height of a few feet .

Ordered a new helmet from the guys at SBS (1st rate shop by the way) i've gone for the Shoie GT air, looks like it will serve my purposes very nicely, will give an update when it arrives.

Ordered a new helmet from the guys at SBS (1st rate shop by the way) i've gone for the Shoie GT air, looks like it will serve my purposes very nicely, will give an update when it arrives.

I've got one, great helmet.

My only complaint is that the sunvisor doesn't come down far enough so riding along with the main visor open and the sun visor down, I get an annoying breeze in my eyes. My old helmet had a longer sun visor so I didn't have that problem :(