Rucksacks

I currently use a normal bog standard (read school boy) rucksack to get stuff to and from work whilst on the bike.

The zip keeps jamming and it doesnt sit very well at *moderate* speeds.

I am looking at getting a new bag and was wondering whether people have any recommendations!

Waterproof would be good and around 20L should so it.

Kriega’s would be deal if they were 70% cheaper.

Also, anyone know of any good tail packs similar design to the US5 or US10?

Ta :cheers:

OK I am not a believer in rucksacks if you do have an off it is unlikely to offer any protection in fact depending whats in the bag a can of baked bean badly pointed pen or keys could do some considerable damage.

I still do it from time to time but really try and avoid it routinely...

How about this instead?

https://www.rydestore.com/ryde-large-rear-motorcycle-tail-bag.html

I use this tail/tank bag from Held:

IMG_20170810_152945.thumb.jpg.9035a773996248ac522ac3d64f853d05.jpg

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Held-Vanero/SubProducts/Held-Vanero-0002

Fully waterproof, zips onto its "pad" that you leave attached to the bike via straps (or you can add magnets if you like)

It's got rucksack straps under if so you can wear it like a rucksack off the bike if you like.

OK I am not a believer in rucksacks if you do have an off it is unlikely to offer any protection in fact depending whats in the bag a can of baked bean badly pointed pen or keys could do some considerable damage.

I still do it from time to time but really try and avoid it routinely...

How about this instead?

https://www.rydestore.com/ryde-large-rear-motorcycle-tail-bag.html

That did cross my mind. I only carry two tshirts and a pair of trousers to work. Sometimes a small tablet/toughpad so nothing that should cause injury!

I use this tail/tank bag from Held:

IMG_20170810_152945.jpg

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Held-Vanero/SubProducts/Held-Vanero-0002

Fully waterproof, zips onto its "pad" that you leave attached to the bike via straps (or you can add magnets if you like)

It's got rucksack straps under if so you can wear it like a rucksack off the bike if you like.

Looks very tidy!

How does it strap down? Do the straps come with?

Looks very tidy!

It's got attachment points at each corner and a sort of collar clip at one end. I've got the two "front" straps attached to the rear foot peg supports and a Rok strap attached to the two "rear" attachment points, under the bike. The collar strap I've got going around the pillion hand rails to stop it moving back/forward. But it doesn't really need this in my experience so far, so long as the straps are done up tight.

I can get more pictures of it this evening if you want.

Edit: Yes the straps all come with it

Untitled.thumb.jpg.521d9de5ccdae420278ccbfdbe2703aa.jpg

I'd vouch for Lomo too. I have used their bags else where and they are fantastic. Very similar build quality to Held and Ortlieb. Plus, they are "local" to me :lol:

This has been on my list since day one. If it was 20L it would have been bought already!

I will see if there is anyway to attach it as a tail pack as an alternative but they do look good!

Looks very tidy!

It's got attachment points at each corner and a sort of collar clip at one end. I've got the two "front" straps attached to the rear foot peg supports and a Rok strap attached to the two "rear" attachment points, under the bike. The collar strap I've got going around the pillion hand rails to stop it moving back/forward. But it doesn't really need this in my experience so far, so long as the straps are done up tight.

Untitled.jpg

I'd vouch for Lomo too. I have used their bags else where and they are fantastic. Very similar build quality to Held and Ortlieb. Plus, they are "local" to me :lol:

Thanks! Looks like a good little set up!

Love the bike too!

Waterproof would be good and around 20L should so it.

Kriega’s would be deal if they were 70% cheaper.

You get what you pay for, quality normally comes at a price

Looks very tidy!

Untitled.jpg

There is very limited info on this on the internet!

Can you do me a few more photos? It is looking lime he most likely option! :cheers:

That did cross my mind. I only carry two tshirts and a pair of trousers to work. Sometimes a small tablet/toughpad so nothing that should cause injury!

Motorcycle gear is designed to allow you to slide smoothly in event off unplanned dismount ... anything on the exterior of these layers will create friction and disturb that flow and spin you about like being in a spin drier

Is there any possibility of a top box? I used to throw a bag with anything I needed in a topbox on my Vara125 and that served me great.

Another option, if you want to avoid the tumble dryer, is a tank bag that disconnects to be carried. :D I think Givi do a few to look at

Have to admit, I spent a long time just cargo-netting my rucksack to the pillion seat! Means if you come off you haven't got something attached to you but it's safely attached to the bike and easy to take off at the other end. (Also the cheapest option by far and Cargo-nets are Amazingly useful!) :thumb:

If you do feel like dishing out the money, I have a Kreiga backpack that I impulse bought before a trip to France last year and I Adore it. Use it every day and love it to pieces! :love:

Lots of options for you :mrgreen:

Motorcycle gear is designed to allow you to slide smoothly in event off unplanned dismount ... anything on the exterior of these layers will create friction and disturb that flow and spin you about like being in a spin drier

Is more concerned about the landing than the sliding, a little extra thickness on your back could give your neck one hell of a jolt. Then picture your keys a couple of pens and a can of cola.

Correct me if I am wrong once sliding the priority is to stop sliding, before you hit anything not continue sliding as far as possible.

Personally.. my strategy would be a 20L waterproof rucksack carried on the pillion seat and held in place with a cargo net. I would use the cargo net if carrying anything hard/solid or pointy. and wear it if carrying something soft - like clothes. Cargo net can either be left on the bike or removed in seconds and popped into the bag.

Take a look in Halfords Cycling section. They do some good value, supposedly waterproof rucksacks. If it's just for a few items, they would be fine.

Long distance with a loaded up rucksack leaning forward on a sports bike makes you feel like your spine has been bent in half, so avoid heavy rucksacks for long distance!

I'm biased. For for £30, get the Held tail/tank bag I've got. It's the same price as you average rucksack, but attached to a bike with ease. The Lomo is a few quid cheaper, but you would need to cargo net it or wear it. - I'm also in the band of "don't wear a ruck sack on the bike".

If you want something much sleeker looking, and don't mind spending the cash then go with a Kreiga US bag. They are worth it from what I have heard.