I currently have a Spada Flip Front helmet. It was my first helmet and was a modest £65. Having been riding for around 6 months now i have a few issues with the helmet:-

1. I have had to have 2 replacement sets of visor side hinges as the others wore down and the visor would clip out;

2. It leaks, even with the visor fully down, water gets in down the top of the visor;

3. Pinlock wasnt included so i had to get a new visor with one fitted;

4. It is heavy;

5. It cannot be ridden with flip up (ie. Not P & J kite-marked)

In an ideal world i would love a Shoei Neotech 2 but alas, it is outside of my price range.

I have seen a helmet by Caberg called the Duke II which seems to tick the boxes at a more realistic £150ish but I wondered what experience others have or what different options i may consider?

thanks in advance.

I had a £50 helmet years ago and then I thought my head is worth more than £50 so I splashed out on white Schubeth flip up model which cost me a great deal more than £50. So pleased with that purchase but I always discard helmets after five years. Moral, If you have a £50 head get a £50 helmet.

Ride safe.

They all conform to the same safety standards. The expensive ones just feel better quality and have nicer interiors and better quality visor mechanisms, and are typically lighter and last longer.

The 5year rule is a myth.

I have a Caberg Duke.. its fine for its price point. tends to be noisy so ear plugs are a must. The Duke 2 is blue tooth ready and so 'may' be quieter.

I was looking for a plain white helmet.. one that fit me and cost less than £200. So.. at £130 the Caberg was fine. its not a 'top tier' helmet by any means... but its perfectly adequate. Easy to open and close with a decent and very positive 'locking - CLICK' mechanism. the drop down visor is always handy and the included pinlock a nice touch.

I bought a Shark Sqwal LED last year, best helmet I have ever had.

I spent ages looking for a new Helmet, none felt comfortable untilI I tried the Shark at the bike show.

Got a good deal on it as well, £160 from the show, cheapest on Ebay was £220.

The LED lights are a bit "gimmicky" I dont think they are really bright enough.

Rest of hlemet is excellent, vents are good, comfortable, visor stay sout in any position, doen't leak and it has Pnlock.

I have the duke 2, its fine, i dont think its particularly noisy, does everything else its supposed to fine, flip front can be used in the open position if you want, flips up ok, when its hot could do with a bit more ventilation but thats nothing cracking the visor open a tad does not cure, feels good quality for the price and is 5 on the sharp safety site ( i think), just checked, it is.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/caberg-duke/

I also have a Duke, and going by the photos on the Caberg site it is actually probably the Duke II, it was bought just over a year ago. It is my second one after my head hit the ground in my original one, and though it seemed okay I decided it was not worth the risk of still using it.

That original one had a plugged gap in the left side where you could fit the Caberg Just Speak Easy bluetooth kit, this hole is absent from the newer model which though is apparently compatible with the Just Speak S kit. I was easily able to attach a Cardo Scala Rider on both, though. But I assume this is what Gerontius is referring too, and if so I have not noticed any noise improvement. But otherwise than a few slight changes there is no obvious difference between them.

The Duke was actually my third helmet, the first was a free one I got with my CBT and shortly after that I bought a Lidl flip one as a cheap spare. When the visor cracked in the free one I switched to the Lidl and and always intended on buying something better, but laziness and little big road riding meant that never happened until I dragged my head along the road a bit.

I only mention the Lidl one because in two ways the it was, for me, much better than the Duke. The visor was bigger at the edges giving better peripheral vision. When doing a shoulder check you have to turn much further with the Duke.

But the key one to me is the ventilation, it was just something I never thought of with the Lidl, but the Duke feels a lot hotter with just a single flap on the top. There is also a vent on the exterior of the chin, but with no control and it is solid on the inside so no idea where the air actually goes. I almost always have to leave the visor open a crack unless the weather is too wet or too cold.

And related to that the Lidl had a nose guard which the Duke does not, and I guess it made a big difference because I had fewer problems with the inside steaming up in cold weather or fog despite the lack of a pinlock. Although that could be the strange chin vent which cannot be closed?

But the Duke is definitely quieter and lighter, which matters a lot if you are riding it on anything more than short trips. I would not have been able to use the Lidl for long as I started riding more. Most helmets you have to wear ear plugs with anyway, so though I do not have experience with anything quieter I have no problems with it. And I can listen to music through bluetooth speaks with ear plugs.

I am not too keen on the control for the sun visor as I tend to keep having to fumble to get the end of the slider. It also hits my nose when all the way down, but stopping it one click before that is fine, once you have found the slider. (The Lidl had a sun visor too, incidentally, but whilst the control on that was easier to find it was more fiddly to use and got in the way of a bluetooth kit, so the Duke comes out better.)

In most weather when riding with the visor open anyway makes the Duke easily the better option, though in fog the Lidl one just seems better at stopping the inside clouding up. As Joeman says, all helmets have to meet safety standards, so fit is the most important aspect of that, and afterwards you are mainly paying for features. Although the Duke having a five-star SHARP rating did influence my choice. It also helped that it was a recognized brand, and was pinlock ready and included one.

Overall I think next time I am buying I would look for something similar but with better ventilation, though the price may see me return to the Duke again. It is just very good value for an otherwise reliable helmet with good features and a good safety rating. And I have never had any problem with the flip or visor showing signs of breaking or wearing out, nor with leaking. Never used the option to ride with the flip up, though whenever I have accidentally flipped the lock it has held so it seems sturdy too.

Based on your price range and list of issues and features, I would recommend it as a good choice. And I do suffer from heat very easily, so maybe the ventilation will not be a problem for you.

HJC IS 2 MAX was my choice I tried the caberg on and it didn't fit my head as well as the hjc and the sharp test was highly rated. With the flip fronts they have a tenancy to fail in the sharp test. Ultimately its down to comfort and safety for me go and try a few on.

HJC IS 2 MAX was my choice I tried the caberg on and it didn't fit my head as well as the hjc and the sharp test was highly rated. With the flip fronts they have a tenancy to fail in the sharp test. Ultimately its down to comfort and safety for me go and try a few on.

I also have a Duke, and going by the photos on the Caberg site it is actually probably the Duke II, it was bought just over a year ago. It is my second one after my head hit the ground in my original one, and though it seemed okay I decided it was not worth the risk of still using it.

That original one had a plugged gap in the left side where you could fit the Caberg Just Speak Easy bluetooth kit, this hole is absent from the newer model which though is apparently compatible with the Just Speak S kit. I was easily able to attach a Cardo Scala Rider on both, though. But I assume this is what Gerontius is referring too, and if so I have not noticed any noise improvement. But otherwise than a few slight changes there is no obvious difference between them.

The Duke was actually my third helmet, the first was a free one I got with my CBT and shortly after that I bought a Lidl flip one as a cheap spare. When the visor cracked in the free one I switched to the Lidl and and always intended on buying something better, but laziness and little big road riding meant that never happened until I dragged my head along the road a bit.

I only mention the Lidl one because in two ways the it was, for me, much better than the Duke. The visor was bigger at the edges giving better peripheral vision. When doing a shoulder check you have to turn much further with the Duke.

But the key one to me is the ventilation, it was just something I never thought of with the Lidl, but the Duke feels a lot hotter with just a single flap on the top. There is also a vent on the exterior of the chin, but with no control and it is solid on the inside so no idea where the air actually goes. I almost always have to leave the visor open a crack unless the weather is too wet or too cold.

And related to that the Lidl had a nose guard which the Duke does not, and I guess it made a big difference because I had fewer problems with the inside steaming up in cold weather or fog despite the lack of a pinlock. Although that could be the strange chin vent which cannot be closed?

But the Duke is definitely quieter and lighter, which matters a lot if you are riding it on anything more than short trips. I would not have been able to use the Lidl for long as I started riding more. Most helmets you have to wear ear plugs with anyway, so though I do not have experience with anything quieter I have no problems with it. And I can listen to music through bluetooth speaks with ear plugs.

I am not too keen on the control for the sun visor as I tend to keep having to fumble to get the end of the slider. It also hits my nose when all the way down, but stopping it one click before that is fine, once you have found the slider. (The Lidl had a sun visor too, incidentally, but whilst the control on that was easier to find it was more fiddly to use and got in the way of a bluetooth kit, so the Duke comes out better.)

In most weather when riding with the visor open anyway makes the Duke easily the better option, though in fog the Lidl one just seems better at stopping the inside clouding up. As Joeman says, all helmets have to meet safety standards, so fit is the most important aspect of that, and afterwards you are mainly paying for features. Although the Duke having a five-star SHARP rating did influence my choice. It also helped that it was a recognized brand, and was pinlock ready and included one.

Overall I think next time I am buying I would look for something similar but with better ventilation, though the price may see me return to the Duke again. It is just very good value for an otherwise reliable helmet with good features and a good safety rating. And I have never had any problem with the flip or visor showing signs of breaking or wearing out, nor with leaking. Never used the option to ride with the flip up, though whenever I have accidentally flipped the lock it has held so it seems sturdy too.

Based on your price range and list of issues and features, I would recommend it as a good choice. And I do suffer from heat very easily, so maybe the ventilation will not be a problem for you.

Excellent answer. Thank you very much

Useful write up, thanks. I'm actually looking at replacing my £50 lid and a Caberg Duke 2 was top my list and within my budget. Did you still get fogging issues with the pinlock fitted?

That's it you have to try them, initially I liked the caberg but for me the hjc felt a better fit. I went to the shop and tried as many as I could, I went for a flip front as I have to show Id and my ugly mug to get in the car park at work but the noise is not too bad on the hjc

That's it you have to try them, initially I liked the caberg but for me the hjc felt a better fit. I went to the shop and tried as many as I could, I went for a flip front as I have to show Id and my ugly mug to get in the car park at work but the noise is not too bad on the hjc

Useful write up, thanks. I'm actually looking at replacing my £50 lid and a Caberg Duke 2 was top my list and within my budget. Did you still get fogging issues with the pinlock fitted?

The pinlock seems to work in normal conditions, it does not fog up, but for me the the overall effect can be limited as the glasses do instead.

Although riding in fog you have to keep it closed at all times, as just opening it briefly whilst stopped lets enough moist air in that it needs drying off. I think that is part of the helmet's poor ventilation though, as it is not removed so just warms up and has nowhere else to go.

• 3 months later...

Hi, can someone help me?

I am new to riding and have just bought an LS2 flip up helmet, it fits my head quite well with no obvious pressure points, but it seems to be a bit tight around the chin. Is this something I need to be worried about, or will it be ok once the helmet has broken in?

I am not sure if I should keep the helmet or try a different make, so I would appreciate any advice you could give me before I start breaking it in, in case I want to return it.

Thanks

Everyone tells you snug is better so my first helmet which fitted perfectly round the head but was tight on the cheeks (to the point it was a relief for my teef to take it off) has never bedded in. A years worth of wear and it turns out my cheeks are no match for the foam- ooh err misses! Yep try them on, like ill fitting shoes take note of those poor points you immediately feel and disregard accordingly. Don’t be afraid of producing your phone with the web page up of the same helmet at half the price, almost all places price match now and don’t mind you asking, coz we’re no mugs! Bought my lovely a jacket that was in the shop 770 quid but I got it for £325, I merely and politely asked “do you price match?” before producing my phone for them to check I could legitimately go elsewhere. Excellent experience and I would go back based on their attitude.

ps the jacket was for my other half for their bday, personally I can’t spend anything that starts with more than a 1 in its price tag!

Everyone tells you snug is better so my first helmet which fitted perfectly round the head but was tight on the cheeks (to the point it was a relief for my teef to take it off) has never bedded in. A years worth of wear and it turns out my cheeks are no match for the foam- ooh err misses! Yep try them on, like ill fitting shoes take note of those poor points you immediately feel and disregard accordingly. Don’t be afraid of producing your phone with the web page up of the same helmet at half the price, almost all places price match now and don’t mind you asking, coz we’re no mugs! Bought my lovely a jacket that was in the shop 770 quid but I got it for £325, I merely and politely asked “do you price match?” before producing my phone for them to check I could legitimately go elsewhere. Excellent experience and I would go back based on their attitude.

ps the jacket was for my other half for their bday, personally I can’t spend anything that starts with more than a 1 in its price tag!

£1,000,000, £100,000, £10,000??????

I've got an AGV K5-S Hurricane and it's fantastic, very comfortable, it's definitely a summer helmet as it has 2 vents at the front which you cannot close meaning that you get a very cold mouth in winter time (But then you can just wear a face mask which I do already) - It is a full face helmet so you won't be flipping it up but I've had this helmet and would never change it again if I had the choice.

I've also heard really good things about the AGV AX8 Dual Evo, it's got a shit ton of vision unlike a lot of helmets. Looks pretty damn snazzy as well if I do say so myself.

I’d check the sharp rating on what you’re buying, not that it’s the be all and end all but because the price tag doesn’t always reflect the safety level. Some flip front helmets are woeful cos they’re tested and passed as open face helmets not full face- sneaky so n sos they never mention that on the packaging! A lot of the flip front helmets open up with just a tiny tap.

Have a look at the Nolan N87. Scored very well on the SHARP tests, it's pretty quiet, comes with a pinlock, sunvisor, reasonably ligjt and the vents are effective. I got a pure white one for circa £140 from Sports bike shop. There's even better deals circa £115 for discontinued colour schemes around. An excellent helmet IMO.

I use mine daily and have been impressed by it. I'll definitely by another when it's due for replacement.

Edit:just realised this was a thread resurrection but the above applies for anyone else looking for a new one. I don't think there's a better value helmet on the market, and it's a big improvement on the shark s900c I had before.