What age do you replace a crash helmet?

When I did my test in 2000 I remember helmets were divided into 2 categories, Type B were cheaper ones which weren’t as well constructed and type A were constructed from better materials and had a higher impact rating, at the time I got told type B ones should be replaced every 2 Years and type A every 5, obviously only if it hasn’t suffered an impact.

How often do you replace yours?, I’ve had mine since 2013 so the 5 year thing is up but it’s never been dropped or damaged so unsure wether to get another or carry on with the one I’ve got a while longer.

Just binned my Lazer helmet I bought in 1994. The lining went horrible and it's not removable/washable. Also my head seems to have got bigger anyway.

Replaced it with a Leopard helmet with removable lining, seems comfortable enough and gets good reviews, should see me out.

Ps also got a Tuzo piss pot for the scooter which was only about 30 quid, removable lining & sun visor, can't fault it.

When I did my test in 2000 I remember helmets were divided into 2 categories, Type B were cheaper ones which weren’t as well constructed and type A were constructed from better materials and had a higher impact rating, at the time I got told type B ones should be replaced every 2 Years and type A every 5, obviously only if it hasn’t suffered an impact.

I thought type B was the BSI equivalent of ECE R22.05, whilst type A met the higher standard required for track use? If you can only use type B helmets for two years that would apply to most road ones being sold.

I have always replaced mine around the five to six year old mark. I spend as much as I can on my helmets. I always read the safety reviews before purchasing. When I first started biking I wore a fibreglass 'Stadium' helmet which cost me £5 in 1966. Recently I have been wearing Schuberth helmets because whilst watching 'How Its Made' they were featured showing the manufacturing and testing process. I always go for a plain white helmet.

Ever hear those adverts for new mattresses on the TV/radio? They all say they recommend replacing your mattress after 7years... Coincidence that 7years is legally accepted length of time any product is expected to last under UK law? Of course not!

So any manufacturer who states replace after 5 years likely puts themselves in a position exposing themselves to a lawsuit where the purchaser can claim the item not fit for purpose and be entitled to a refund.

The helmet internals degrade over time. this is from the Shoei website.

When do you have to replace a helmet with a new one?

For safety reasons, we recommend replacing a helmet after about seven years. The outer shell (fiberglass) is relatively resistant against aging. However, the material of the inner shell (EPS), which is substantially involved in the safety (shock absorption), hardens with time. So the inner shell no longer has those important absorption characteristics. There has also been much work on the development of helmets in recent years. Improved helmet shells, advanced materials, better comfort, changeable inner lining, more efficient ventilation systems, higher requirements also in the official test standards such as the E22 homologation, visor quick-change systems, etc. - in summary it can be said that helmets have simply become safer.

From the Schuberth website

Depending on usage and care, you should replace the helmet every 5-7 years. Although the outer shell is in principle suitable for a longer service life, wear of the other components may affect the overall action of the helmet. For this reason we recommend that you replace the helmet after the period of use stated above for your own safety.

Unfortunately there is no way of verifying the protective action of the helmet without destroying it. Because of this, SCHUBERTH does not offer this test.

there's that magic number Seven again after which products spontaneously fail.

I don't think that's what they are saying Joe, they have obviously performed age related tests and this is the safe number they have come up with.

I have an old crash helmet in my garage that has never been worn, it's been there about 5 years, I might go and give it a poke and a prod to see what its like.

there's that magic number Seven again after which products spontaneously fail.

That certainly applies to electronic goods where it is easy to program a fail as soon as the product reaches a predetermined date. Printer cartridges are also renowned for this.

its much like anything i wear.. when the time comes for it to be retired. its obvious to me. with helmets thats mostly when it becomes loose.. ill fitting. sometimes because it needs a new visor and it seems sensible to me to replace the entire thing. In years past before washable liners came along the thing would inevitably become smelly. but mostly its because i just fancy a new one.. no more reason than that. No real time limit... just reaches that point where i want a new one. And perhaps Ive gotten that extra nudge because Ive seen one discounted and thought "why not? its time".

right now i have two.. one i wear regularly, but is approaching the end of its life. and another waiting to become a full time replacement. which I've just used for touring so far.