Small petrol bottle for bikes?

Do any of you guys carry around small petrol bottles in case you run out of fuel? If so, can you give me links to any suitable ones? Obviously I want to carry it safely, not just stuck in a used Lucozade bottle :lol:

Preferably to fit under the seat of a CBR 600.

My previous bike had a reserve switch, but my current bike just has a fuel gauge which I don't quite trust yet. Don't want to end up stranded.

What age is it, is the the fuel injection with digital clocks?

2004, and yes I think so.

I can't help with the petrol bottle but I can offer some advice :D, I think it will be the same as mine then, so I don't think they have a fuel gauge but it does have a reserve gauge. When you see that reserve gauge you've got 15-20 miles (I've not pushed it any further :lol: ) to fill up. IT should be 4 bars that go down, the first one lasts about 10 miles and the last 3 go very quickly after that. When it's full the reserve gauge wont come on for about 130-140ish miles.

Unless they changed how they do it after a certain year but the F4i was from around 2001-2006

What age is it, is the the fuel injection with digital clocks?

2004, and yes I think so.

I can't help with the petrol bottle but I can offer some advice :D, I think it will be the same as mine then, so I don't think they have a fuel gauge but it does have a reserve gauge. When you see that reserve gauge you've got 15-20 miles (I've not pushed it any further :lol: ) to fill up. IT should be 4 bars that go down, the first one lasts about 10 miles and the last 3 go very quickly after that. When it's full the reserve gauge wont come on for about 130-140ish miles.

Unless they changed how they do it after a certain year but the F4i was from around 2001-2006

Ah, nice one mate. If I can get around 130+ miles out of a tank that's sound then, I'll just refuel every 2 days like I normally do (60 miles round trip to work).

If you must

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/4028/fuelfriend-petrol-can-1-litre

or

https://www.mandp.co.uk/plastic-fuel-can-1-litre-red.html

same thing but dearer.

But as Megawatt says, do you want 1 litre sloshing about under your seat.

As opposed to the 17 litres I let slosh between my legs in front of my seat :lol:

To be honest I know cars normally give the fuel light on 40 miles remaining so I always assumed the bike would warn on a similar range due to potential distances to a petrol station. It's certainly how I would design that system...

The 17 litres is in a sealed metal container.

I know a guy who had a crash in a Range rover with a gallon of petrol in an open boot. The crash didn't hurt him, but the petrol filled the passenger compartment and exploded. He is disfigured for life.

Not all bike tanks are metal.

But all containers complaint with The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 and certified as meeting the requirements of ECE ADR 2013 are sealed.

Like the ones they sell in petrol stations.

But not Lucozade bottles.

Do any of you guys carry around small petrol bottles in case you run out of fuel? If so, can you give me links to any suitable ones? Obviously I want to carry it safely, not just stuck in a used Lucozade bottle :lol:

Preferably to fit under the seat of a CBR 600.

My previous bike had a reserve switch, but my current bike just has a fuel gauge which I don't quite trust yet. Don't want to end up stranded.

1. RTFM. Amazingly, it will tell you how much range you have left when the light comes on.

2. And what's wrong with Lucozade bottles? Readily available from every central reservation and roundabout approach, all you have to do is remember to empty out the "trucker's champaigne" before use. What's not to like? :roll:

In the 60s I would travel from Lincolnshire to Bournemouth that’s 184 miles, at night, on my Honda CB165. In those days garages were attended (no self service) till 8pm so I strapped a one gallon oil can full of 99 octain fuel to top me up around Newbury way. The can was attached with two bunge cords to the carrier. Driving at night it was a fast empty roads and took me 6 hours.

I'm with speedy - nothing wrong with plastic bottles. In "developing countries" that's pretty much all there is to carry fuel in.

Okay, they do have the potential to be a bit explodey in the right circumstances but if you're going OG then you've got to do it right blud.

I know a guy who had a crash in a Range rover with a gallon of petrol in an open boot. The crash didn't hurt him, but the petrol filled the passenger compartment and exploded. He is disfigured for life.

Sorry megawatt I was just being a bit of a smart arse.

I imagine if he used a metal Jerry can he might have avoided that one. :/

But it does bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "defensive riding"......Lucozade Molotov, anyone? :twisted:

"No, when I said let's go for a burn-up, that's not quite what I meant........."

2. And what's wrong with Lucozade bottles?

Other than being illegal for this purpose and petrol stations not letting you fill one? Nothing.

The Whole World is out to kill Us......why add a hand grenade into the mix

By the sounds of things some people would rather drive to the petrol station on their lawn mower with their chain saw to fill their garden tools up than to carry the petrol home. So the rest of us we need the hand grenades to proect ourselves!

Other than being illegal for this purpose and petrol stations not letting you fill one? Nothing.

A mere detail in the wider scope of things. :thumb:

PS. Look up "irony" when you've got 5.......... :D

I always found milk bottles the best, unfortunately you would destroy the foil cap getting the milk out so I'd just fill it up and stick a piece of rag in the end to stop fuel leaking out.

I always found milk bottles the best, unfortunately you would destroy the foil cap getting the milk out so I'd just fill it up and stick a piece of rag in the end to stop fuel leaking out.

.....Now that's the sort of common-sense "can-do" attitude that's all too lacking these days. .... :thumb: