Correct way to wear gloves

I know there are many obvious & sarcastic answers BUT.....

I have a pair a Gor-Tex gloves now they don’t say waterproof on the label but it was/is assumed, I wear the cuffs of my coat inside the big cuff of the gloves as to me that is common sense the rain carried by the wind at speed hits the glove & pushes it along the glove & up the jacket sleeve but when I was out in heavy rain last week they were not waterproof,

SO......

I asked at my local clothing shop where I brought them from to be told I was wearing them wrong.....he said it’s a common mistake I need to put the glove inside my jacket cuff as when you operate the throttle or the body movement in braking the rain on your arm is leaking down the glove cuff.

Now I know April fools has just gone but he could of just sold me another pair of gloves

As above, Jacket over gloves if wearing textiles. Gloves over jacket if wearing leathers.

You’ll be hard pushed to get your leathers over gloves as leathers are a tighter fit by design than textiles. Textiles are made with water in mind, (although some should never be let near water for all the good they do) so are a bit looser. Jacket goes over gloves so the water can just run off sleeve.

Same theory as textile trousers over boots. You want the water to run off the leg, no into your boot

A few weeks ago when it was very wet I decided to see what happened if I put my gloves over the sleeves on my textile jacket. I know the theory but with the gloves strapped really tight I didn't think as much water would get into them as everyone says.

Well by end of the road I dabbed the brakes and my hands were instantly soaked. So I'll stick to sleeves over gloves in the wet.

It depends on the glove. Gauntlet gloves go over the sleeve, the rest go under.

Mine are gauntlets and the cuffs were strapped really tight but I still got soaked. I remember the old days they used to have arm pieces that went over the top of the gauntlets towards your elbow. I have something similar for my beekeeping suit. Never seen them in use for riding gear recently though.

It depends on the glove. Gauntlet gloves go over the sleeve, the rest go under.

I have something similar for my beekeeping suit.

Pics

I can't add a photo right now but if you Google beekeepers arm protection you'll see what they look like. They're not waterproof though. You can't work on hives in the rain.

If its raining I put cuffs over gloves, a little tricky with my kit but it does keep my hands dry.

If rain is really heavy. I have my textile on for protection, gloves over cuffs, then my waterprooof 2nd layer over the top (cuffs over gloves.

As mentioned above Textile jackets that are supposed to be water proof often aren't!

Mine is a goretex Hein Gericke jacket and the gauntlet gloves are goretex IXS.

I also have handguards, which deflect the rain way from my hands and in really bad rain, from cuff to elbow really cops the wet. The bike screen mean my arms in general are the most exposed part of me.

I have textile jacket, textile gloves, winter/waterproof ones, the glove is coming on top of the textile jacket, no problems with the water ingress inside the glove, even in heavy rain!