The Oxford Heated Grips challenge...

Nah, not another one of those wanky internet challenges, just a way of opening the topic "who the hell gets anywhere near maximum temperature on these things?"

I can only use 40% max before it gets too uncomfortable. How high do you guys go?

Nah, not another one of those wanky internet challenges, just a way of opening the topic "who the hell gets anywhere near maximum temperature on these things?"

I can only use 40% max before it gets too uncomfortable. How high do you guys go?

You have to bear in mind that these are a kinda 'one size fits all'.. some bars are notoriously hard to heat.. the heat being conducted away from the grips by whatever alloy has been used.. i think this is the case for some bars that are made from aluminium alloy. So, for these the heater has to work that much harder to maintain a temperature in the grips. Whereas other bars made from steel. will absorb the heat and not lose it so quickly due to conduction.

You have to bear in mind that these are a kinda 'one size fits all'.. some bars are notoriously hard to heat.. the heat being conducted away from the grips by whatever alloy has been used.. i think this is the case for some bars that are made from aluminium alloy. So, for these the heater has to work that much harder to maintain a temperature in the grips. Whereas other bars made from steel. will absorb the heat and not lose it so quickly due to conduction.

Fair point, never thought of that. I just thought it might have been a bravado thing, like choosing the hottest curry off the menu to impress a bird :lol:

Never seen the point of heating the palms of my hands when my arse is freezing off . 😀

I've also fitted heated seats on the Busa Bob :D

Ah well , now you're talking! 😅

My bike came with heated grips, first time I've ever had em on a bike .... they will never get used though , if it's that cold out I won't be going out .

Never seen the point of heating the palms of my hands when my arse is freezing off . 😀

Because unless there is something badly wrong with you, you arse is fatter than your fingers!

I always used to assume that grips would only heat the inside of the hand, and do nothing for the outside of the fingers which receive the impact of the wind. Instead I had heated glove liners for cold weather which were okay.

Then I got a bike with heated grips installed and discovered I was very badly wrong.

The heat spreads though the hand just fine. Whilst the insides of them are warmer, the outsides still feel better than they did in the liners. And I feel more in control without having the extra layer of padding between my fingers and the bike.

They are official Honda grips though so only have three settings, but that is plenty for all situations.

I have a better challenge

The post in the correct section challenge :lol:

Don't worry I have moved your thread to the correct one :lol:

As [mention]Gerontious[/mention] says the bars alone have a lot to do with the heat output

I can easily have mine on max any less and it's hardly worth having on!

• 2 weeks later...