Never ridden a bike but got my CBT on Sat then hopefully going straight into my DAS.

Looking at clothing online but is there any advantage to have a suit or trousers and jacket? I would like a suit but wondered if there were any advantages with either?

I have both and usually default to 2 piece that zips together, because it has more pockets and I can take off jacket, however come long blasts in the summer with my mates I'll stick the suit on or for track days

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome. You will end up spending at least as much on gear as the bike costs. You need clothes for wet weather, dry weather, track days, road days, city days and country days. And helmets and boots and gloves to match. Who ever thought biking was cheap obviously wasn't a biker.

I forgot that you need winter gear and summer gear as the winter gear will be too flappy without all the under clothes to bulk it out. Winter and summer gloves. It goes on and on.

Don't buy any gear til you've done your CBT, they'll have stuff to wear and you might decide you hate riding bikes.

Personally this depends on what you ride. (I know this'll be controversial).

Helmet is compulsory, by law and why the heck wouldn't you anyway?

Gloves are essential. Unless your a moron. But you can ride without them if you are...

Everybody should wear a motorcycle jacket with a protective armour in it, even scooter riders. Secondhand one can be picked up fairly cheaply.

People on motorcycles should have protected trousers as well, scooter riders can get away with sturdy jeans (although kevlar jeans are fairly cheap and recommended but not essential). Again secondhand one can be picked up fairly cheap.

Motorcycle boots are essential for motorcyclists, scooter riders can get away with any sturdy boots but again why wouldn't you wear the clothing designed for the thing your doing when your life is at stake?

Would you walk into a pit of rabid lions with just a loin cloth on or would you wear riot gear if you had the choice. Getting on your motorbike is walking into a pit of lions and not only that a pit of lions who will suffer far less from the consequences of their rage driven misdemeanours than you as the man with the loin cloth, so wear riot gear instead.

Would you walk into a pit of rabid lions with just a loin cloth on or would you wear riot gear if you had the choice. Getting on your motorbike is walking into a pit of lions and not only that a pit of lions who will suffer far less from the consequences of their rage driven misdemeanours than you as the man with the loin cloth, so wear riot gear instead.

Maybe wearing a merkin or jewel encrusted cod piece, but no not a loin cloth.

Coming back from work today I was overtaken by a powerful bike with the rider wearing shorts and T-shirt, sneakers and helmet. His pillion was in little more than a bikini and a helmet. It was 28 degrees but at least both had helmets on. ATGATT. I must admit I was rather hot and quite glad to get home and to a cold drink. I'm not used to this heat. But typical of this country it won't last.

I had to laugh.

Riding into work last night. I passed a young lad on a cbr125 with l plates. He had a pair of shorts on n a t shirt. :o

Started tutting away to my self in the helmet.

Thought hold on you grumpy old get.

At 17 you used to do exactly the same :lol:

...At 17 you used to do exactly the same :lol:

I never did, though I did bicycle round in shorts, never on the motorbike. Perhaps I'm too risk adverse.

I wouldn't do it now to be fair.

The lad also did exactly as I would have at 17.

Screwed the nuts off it to try n keep up :thumb:

(I know this'll be controversial).

So here goes… Why are 60mph accidents on a scooter safer than ones on a bike that scooter riders can get away with lesser trousers and boots?

Conversely when only going around town by bike, so not on any roads faster that 30mph, I just wear sturdy jeans and DMs rather that proper motorcycle jeans and boots.

Helmet is compulsory, by law and why the heck wouldn't you anyway?

If you really want controversy, because…

The limitation of helmets to save life and the negative aspects of helmet use which can increase the chances of accidents occurring and even aggravate the injuries under certain circumstances.

Many bikers declare their enthusiasm for helmets on the grounds that they FEEL safer in one. Feeling safe is the most dangerous sensation any road user can experience.

Peripheral vision and hearing are adversely affected by helmets while the extra weight they burden the neck with can cause spinal fracture even if the head does not strike anything.

I do not agree with that, but it is what MAG think on our behalf.

http://www.mag-uk.org/en/campaignsdetail/a6543