Pannier Question !

Im currently rocking a yamaha mt10 which is a cracking bike for me but not really ideal for the mrs !

How does a top box change the ride for a pillion ? in my head alot because you can sit back not have to hold on etc etc

But the lady is not convinced, anyone got any feedback of riding pillion before a top box and after :cheers:

The majority of 'higher quality'.. and sometimes less so. Top cases have the ability to fit a back rest... a padded cushion of sorts to make leaning back against the case more comfortable. I dont make a good pillion.. in fact I generally hate it. BUT.. with a top case to sit back against.. that extra feeling of security does tip the balance for me. I believe the MT10 has pillion grab handles at the side.. which is perfect.

Edited by Gerontious

The wife won't go anywhere without the top box on!

Mine has the back rest that [mention]Gerontious[/mention] speaks of

The wife never leans against it :?

If it fell off she probably wouldn't even know :lol:

A back rest is all well and good but in an emergency stop situation not so good . In my opinion the safest way to carry a passenger is with them holding onto a solid rear grab rail.

A back rest is all well and good but in an emergency stop situation not so good.

Why "not so good"? in an emergency stop the pillion will be thrown forward.. so the fact there is a top case makes no difference. for me the fact its there is mainly about sharp acceleration for that extra feeling of security. no danger of falling.. or sliding backwards, and for those longer journeys its great to have something to lean back against.

We used to use a topbox and love handles. On the bandit this was fine, on the guzzi the top box significantly reduced the pillion seat room so my pillion would be sitting much closer to me so was generally less comfortable. Now we use a lomo dry bag with a few bits in strapped on a luggage rack.

I don't like going pillion without a top box behind me... I rarely lean against it, but it acts as a sort of comfort that you wont slide off the back of the seat... :lol:

A back rest is all well and good but in an emergency stop situation not so good.

Why "not so good"? in an emergency stop the pillion will be thrown forward.. so the fact there is a top case makes no difference. for me the fact its there is mainly about sharp acceleration for that extra feeling of security. no danger of falling.. or sliding backwards, and for those longer journeys its great to have something to lean back against.

Exactly, being thrown forward is not so good . If the passenger is holding a grab rail rather than relaxing against a comfy back rest then this is less likely to happen. As for sharp acceleration, holding a grab rail with arms straight and elbows locked is not as uncomfortable as it sounds.

Many years ago I had a Krauser Top box. One day when i got to work it wasn't on the bike any more. :shock: never did find it and it had my lunch in it. The GIVI units fit much more securely.

Many years ago I had a Krauser Top box. One day when i got to work it wasn't on the bike any more. :shock: never did find it and it had my lunch in it. The GIVI units fit much more securely.

Hoggfather is still very bitter about this :lol:

Hoggfather is still very bitter about this :lol:

Not surprised, he lost his lunch. I'd be gutted if I lost my lunch. I had left over Thai green curry for lunch today. Delicious, imagine losing that, terrifying.

Exactly, being thrown forward is not so good . If the passenger is holding a grab rail rather than relaxing against a comfy back rest then this is less likely to happen.

The pillion can sit back and relax against the top case while holding the grab rails. so.. cake and eat it. :up:

Exactly, being thrown forward is not so good . If the passenger is holding a grab rail rather than relaxing against a comfy back rest then this is less likely to happen.

The pillion can sit back and relax against the top case while holding the grab rails. so.. cake and eat it. :up:

The wife doesn't do either!

Had a couple of hard braking moments without her squashing my nuts!

100mph as a pillion over the Forth Road Bridge with no top box. The most unpleasant thing I have ever done. But I have yet to get my first rectal examination. That may be worse.

100mph as a pillion over the Forth Road Bridge with no top box. The most unpleasant thing I have ever done. But I have yet to get my first rectal examination. That may be worse.

As someone whose gone pillion at speed and who also has a medical condition requiring the yearly camera up the arse sketch....

I can confirm the latter is definitely worse :shock:

Thanks Guys :D

She has read through the replies and decided she wants one !

Just got to find one i can take the frame on and off with ease :shock:

GIVI do a system for the MT10. Topbox fixed rack, removable topbox.

Side panniers on a removable frame.

https://www.givi.co.uk/my-motorcycle#YAMAHA,MT-10_(16_%3E_17)