Type of security

The bike is only worth 2k but its a lovely bike and its mine. Bikes are new to me so not sure about security, are disk locks good or just a chain and padlock?

I see oxford stuff a lot, are thry any good? Any other security measures?

Where is it parked over night.. is it out of sight? and where are you likely to be parking it during the day?

My view on security is.. if the thieves don't know where it is then they wont be stealing it. If they do know where it is then you have to make extra efforts to defeat them. put them off because its going to be a hassle to take. but keeping it out of sight.. especially of passing traffic is your greatest defence against theft. If you have a garage.. always use it,, never leave it on your driveway. if its parked behind a gate... always put it there straight after a ride. don't put it off. If its normally covered.. cover it immediately.

My concern is at home. Im not worried at work as its always in sight and within at least 50m of myself or a work colleague.

At home it'll be kept in a garage but wouldnt take much for them to get in to be honest. I will be putting a new lock on the door and during long period of not being used (winter) it'll be kept under a cover too.

There may be some days where its kept on the drive if I'm in an out (behind a hedge) so don't know if a simple chain that I can chuck around a wheel quickly will do. Or a disk lock.

I would opt for an alarmed Disc Lock.. that will go off if the bike is tampered with and so you'll know straight away.. assuming you can hear it.

But you have to be aware that if the bike is spotted by thieves of the professional type.. and its on their list. Unless the bike is chained securely to something that cannot be moved.. they can have the bike loaded into a van is seconds. so a simple chain is rather less useful than an alarmed disc lock. At least you have some chance of hearing it go off.

If I were you.. I would make maximum use of the Garage.. use it every time, even if its less than convenient.

Refer to your insurers terms and conditions about home address ...

Some state if your bike is stolen from within x distance to your home and vehicle is not in garage ( if declared as being kept in garage ) your insurance is null and void .

Oxford products are a visual deterrent only in my opinion...

It will stop an oppurtunity thief from wheeling your bike away but anyone who truly wants your bike their tools will make it seem made of dairylea .

Get two disc locks, one for each wheel.

If someone really wants your bike they will get it, no method is unbeatable, so security is about putting opportunist thieves off whilst not making yourself so paranoid that you spend as long locking it up as you do riding it.

A disc lock takes ten seconds for you to put on or take off, but using two doubles the effort for a thief while still be relatively trivial for you. I have a basic small one which I put on the rear wheel, and a Xena alarmed one for the front.

I used to carry a chain around but rarely used it, so now only take it when I know I will be. In part though the value of a chain is when you have something to lock the bike too, otherwise it is just a less convenient disc lock.

If someone really wants your bike they will get it, no method is unbeatable, so security is about putting opportunist thieves off whilst not making yourself so paranoid that you spend as long locking it up as you do riding it.

A disc lock takes ten seconds for you to put on or take off, but using two doubles the effort for a thief while still be relatively trivial for you. I have a basic small one which I put on the rear wheel, and a Xena alarmed one for the front.

I used to carry a chain around but rarely used it, so now only take it when I know I will be. In part though the value of a chain is when you have something to lock the bike too, otherwise it is just a less convenient disc lock.

I use two disk locks and a big alarmed disc lock with a chain, bike also has a sensor on it that tells people to f**k off if they go near it and a tracker attached to it as well, It's all about making it reaaaaallly hard for them to take.

I use a Xena xx6 alarmed disc lock (the discontinued one with black plastic on it) which has been very good.

I tried a Xena X14 disc lock but had to send it back as it kept alarming. It was also very bulky and you needed the key to lock it on.

Anyway as said above the best deterrent is keep it out of site.

I use two disk locks and a big alarmed disc lock with a chain, bike also has a sensor on it that tells people to f**k off if they go near it and a tracker attached to it as well, It's all about making it reaaaaallly hard for them to take.

I also have a cheap eBay motion sensor that I put under the seat, less sensitive than the Xena but it does work. I know because I usually forget about it until after starting the bike! I would never rely on its own, but for £5 and remote activated it is definitely worth it as it literally takes no effort.

Will a disk lock fit rear and front or are there specific ones?

Will most disk locks fit a 2010 sv650?

All discs are different, so locks are sold based on the diameter of the pins. Just measure the width of holes on your discs, in millimetres, to know what is the maximum size that will fit.

In theory the thicker the pin the more secure it will be, as it will take longer to cut, although I am not sure it makes any difference. The pin is not exposed when locked on so thieves are most likely to attack the lock or cut a section of the disc to remove it instead.

Have a look at pewag security chains from brindleyschains.co.uk

Their chains are a little more than oxfords but seem to be better quality.

I bought some recently and really am impressed by them.

I second this

They also sponsor the forum too and I also use their chain and their locks for my garage

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=63502

• 2 weeks later...

I like the "tells people to F*** O** sensor, what make details please?

Insurance premiums can go down if you use approved devices. There are drop down boxes when getting online quotes which show you the list. I have Datatag and a Kryptonite combined disc lock and chain attached to a ground anchor.

You could consider alarming your garage door if you want to go the whole way.

I don’t understand why there isn’t a lock that makes your phone alarm if broken/tampered with. It can’t be that hard, the circuits broken the phone alarms. Most of the time you’re very close to your bike and could possibly beat the living daylights out of them.... I mean scare them off and call the police....

I like the "tells people to F*** O** sensor, what make details please?

Hahahaha, I wish that were an actual thing because I'd buy it, it's just a standard sensor, if people go near the f**ker it bleeps like mad essentially saying "F*CK OFF F*CK OFF F*CK OFF F*CK OFF"

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a good alarmed disc lock, one that's likely to show up in insurance quotes drop boxes

I've got an Oxford Boss Disc Lock, it's a big f**ker and makes a noise. As with any Oxford product the first beep is very loud and the actual alarm is a lot quieter for some dumb reason, but regardless, alarm will do f**k all to scare away ***** that want your bike anyways, it looks like it'll take a fair bit of damage before it lets anyone get your hands on it, Thatcham approved as well so should give you discount on your insurance.

... Thatcham approved as well so should give you discount on your insurance.

don't bank on much of a discount, if any.

Agreed, it made no difference to me. But if you declare it then you must always use it. Forget that one time, and they can use that as a reason to not pay out.

That said, you should still definitely get a good one for the security benefits.

... Thatcham approved as well so should give you discount on your insurance.

don't bank on much of a discount, if any.

Having any amount of money off is worth it in my eyes, I will always be using security on my bikes to protect them from thieving bast*rds anyways, so why not buy decent quality ones that drop your insurance down just that little bit extra. I've got a lot of security on my bike, it all adds up.