security chain, ground anchor and more

Hi

I'm about to buy my first scooter and I have some security questions.

I'm planning on getting a chain and padlock (Pragmasis), a disc lock (not sure who yet), and cover. It'll be in the back garden (no garage or shed) or on the street at work where I can chain it to a lamppost.

1. Where do you attach the chain on the bike? The scooters I've seen don't have a solid point a chain could go through. I've read the rear wheel but can't thieves just remove it? You can go all the way around the floor and body of the scooter, is that better?

2. I've seen chains that thread through itself to create a noose at the secure point. Is it the same at the other end where it attaches to the bike? That will help deciding how long a chain to get.

3. I want a ground anchor but I can't do anything permanent with concrete. Then I saw these screw in anchors from Spyrabase and groundbolt.co.uk. Are they worth getting?

4. Should I get an alarmed disc lock and a tracker?

I haven't decided whether to get a new or used scooter but if it gets nicked, my premiums will skyrocket. I've had quotes ranging from £900 for TPFT and £2k for full comp, even with a high excess covered by excess insurance. I don't want them going higher!

Cheers

Edited by GetCartar

Either wheel is good enough, thieves won't remove a wheel, they'll cut the chain, it's easier and quicker.

Get the best quality chain you can afford as it will take them longer to get it off, but if they want it, they'll usually have it.

Just get a cheap shitter of a scooter use it for a couple of years, get some no claims , if it gets nicked don’t bother claiming .

The screw in ground anchor looks quiet good. I am sure it relies on any prospective their not knowing it is just a screw in one and once a chain is through it, that will restrict being able to unscrew it back out of the ground. The chain will twist and jam it.

I use this, which is the type of chain you describe and it combines with a disc lock;

full52539.jpg

The only issue may be that the disc lock is too fat to fit through any hole in the disc. I lock mine to a wheel spoke.

I would not bother with an alarmed disc lock, they are prone to weather activations. A tracker is a good idea, or Datatag.

I'll get the Pragmasis chain and padlock plus a disc lock, not alarmed, and bike cover. I also have a Kryptonite NY lock for my pushbike that's motorbike rated so will use that through a wheel.

The best I can do at work is a lamppost (which I've read is better than street signs) as the work car park is easily accessible and there's nothing to chain it to. There are a couple of bikes already parked on the road with no security so mine should be a harder target.

I've considered a used scooter so lower premiums, less nickable, but I don't know bikes or have a mate who does. The cheapest scooters in London shops is still over £1k, unless I go private, gumtree, etc. I'll read other posts for advice on buying 2nd hand and what shops are recommended.

Thanks for the replies.

spyra bases are good for their purpose .

they used to be a gold award in the highest security .

if they want it it will go.

i do have three in my ownership .two securing my trailer etc and one for the bike .

you can always screw the anchor in partially and then add postcement and carry on screwing it in add a bit more cement just to give a bit more form to the ground .

I had doubts about the spyrabase as the ring is only 12mm diameter (if I read their website right) and I haven't heard of postcement or postcrete before.

There is a wall in the back garden with those ornamental leaf blocks that I could chain it to.

Do you think the screw in anchor would be better than the brick?

@GetCartar you could always check out what Brindley chains have on offer they sponsor the forum https://www.brindleychains.co.uk/collections/pewag-security-chains/products/pewag-vkk-security-chain-mul-t-lock-padlock-packages

Stu, is there a discount code for TMBF ? no worries if not I'm getting one anyway

@GetCartar you could always check out what Brindley chains have on offer they sponsor the forum https://www.brindleychains.co.uk/collections/pewag-security-chains/products/pewag-vkk-security-chain-mul-t-lock-padlock-packages

Stu, is there a discount code for TMBF ? no worries if not I'm getting one anyway

Unfortunately not!