Hi all,

Being new to this today (rather shockingly in this country) was the first time I've encountered any rain.

I intend to commute most days no matter the weather unless dangerous and have invested in one of the finger squeegy things, that worked OK but needed to clear my visor quite a lot and wondered if there is a better way?

Are the water repellent sprays any good?

You can get some visor/helmet specific rain repellent sprays, I've never used them though so can't really comment - they're not expensive though. Keeping the helmet and visor really clean helps, I tend to use a bit of furniture polish to keep it slick in the winter and seems to work with no ill effects. Don't be tempted to use standard Rain-X or similar for glass though as it will fog up the visor over time.

You can always just turn your head to either side as you're riding and clear the rain from visor that way.

I use this

https://the-cafe-racer.com/nikwax-visor-proof-300?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-JvaBRDGARIsAFjqkkqVts-4TWUas6Xx9sBtBQpOysgqsFA4QDdPRzJi671nxtTd2UMSWKEaAvB0EALw_wcB

Clean the visor then apply.

Rain will bead on it then a gentle look to the side and the wind blows the water away.

As king says dont use the original Rain-x for glass. though i think they now do a vwersion for plastics.

get a microfibre cloth.. they usually come in packs of 3 (cheap from Wilko). use that to polish your visor. The biggest enemy for visors are scratches. Keep the microfibres nice and clean. if you were to ever accidentally drop it on the floor - don't use it again until its been washed.

• 3 weeks later...

I use this

https://the-cafe-racer.com/nikwax-visor-proof-300?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-JvaBRDGARIsAFjqkkqVts-4TWUas6Xx9sBtBQpOysgqsFA4QDdPRzJi671nxtTd2UMSWKEaAvB0EALw_wcB

Clean the visor then apply.

Rain will bead on it then a gentle look to the side and the wind blows the water away.

As king says dont use the original Rain-x for glass. though i think they now do a vwersion for plastics.

I found the Nikwax spray the best of the various types I have tried. Best as it last the longest. They are all effective for a short time, when the visor is still clean.

Look left to right and the wind will take off the rain for you, obviously don't do it stupidly and take your eyes off the road but if you shift your head slightly to the left and slightly to the right the wind will take it all off. I never invest in any products as doing that is just simple and easy.

• 1 month later...

Today I rode in a downpour and got back totally crotch wet. Crotch wet is way beyond sodden. I changed into fresh dry gear and went out and got crotch wet again.

I ride in all weathers in the worst wind and rain and I have never wiped water from my visor, I learned early on to cope and not need that. You can see all you need to by simply looking though and beyond the droplets.

The real killer is a misted up inside of the visor, you cant see a thing then. Closing the visor fully to keep rain out usually results in heavy misting up. Opening the visor by one click takes care of that. To reach the eyes the rain has to go upwards and water doesn't like going upwards.

I have no need of squeegees wipers waxes water dispellants. Helmet manufacturers appear to know what they are doing. I have a Vcan a Duchinni and a Frank Thomas and all full face, they are all good and not exactly expensive.

I rode home in a massive snowstorm once. Now that was a problem - had to wipe the white stuff from my visor every 19 seconds.

Not 18 or 20 seconds? Precision - that's what I like to see!

I rode home in a massive snowstorm once. Now that was a problem - had to wipe the white stuff from my visor every 19 seconds.

:stupid:

Snow sucks... well it sticks which is kind of worse. I stopped at some traffic lights and I think the kid in the car next to me genuinely thought Frosty the snowman had bought himself a bike :lol:

• 1 month later...

Get a Bob Heath Vee/Visor Wipe. Got my first one this year and can't believe I've only just bothered. Brilliant thing. Only 6 quid if you don't like it.

Regards,

Mark

• 1 month later...