Textile trouser inserts and little legs!

Hardcore noob question here!

I bought a pair of textile trousers with knee and hip inserts inside. Im 5'3 and at least these aren't too long/ the knee inserts sit in the right place... but the hip inserts are a nightmare. I can get the trousers on and off fine with them, but i cant lift my legs, lean forward etc.

I alrady have to do a bit of a karate kick and a jump to get my leg over most bikes, these inserts will make it impossible. I have removed them, and I have all my hip functions back. However Id rather have something in there to protect my hips...

Should I buy smaller inserts (if that exists?) or maybe cut down the ones that come with it (they are second hand anyway)? If this a problem anyone else has run into?

Thanks both I’ll try the stand thing and if not look at some different inserts.

I did find that after stretching around in the trousers they gave a little a moulders to me a bit better so hopefully if I do a bit more casual walking etc in them I can put the inserts back in and it won’t be an issue!

Maybe go for the next size up would be more flexible - if bought from a shop .

They were second hand, the waist is already too big to accommodate my bum lol (Ive sized up in all my bike gear just in case and for comfort).

I have trimmed armour inserts so they fit better.

What are the inserts you have made from?

They are fairly thin foam.

Hip inserts do restrict movement... It is just the way of them. Regardless of sizing up or not.

I've just ordered a pair of knox micro lock hip inserts to replace my semi-ridgid ones. The micro lock ones seem to be ultra flexible, so I'll let you know they work out. Should arrived next week at some point.