I have a very heavy and expensive £80 lock that I got with my bike as a sweetener. I carry it when I am working to lock my bike up. Some days this week I have managed to lock my bike to a metal parking sign. But it is so heavy, what are my alternatives for mobile security?

I have a very heavy and expensive £80 lock that I got with my bike as a sweetener. I carry it when I am working to lock my bike up. Some days this week I have managed to lock my bike to a metal parking sign. But it is so heavy, what are my alternatives for mobile security?

..........That must be one sweet lock for £80........can you imagine the angst when you come back to find they've nicked the lock but left the bike in-situ? :shock:

Seriously, though, what sort of lock is it? A U-lock, a shackle lock, a cable lock, a disc lock? Is there a chain? At the end of the day, nothing will resist the 12v angle-grinder. But they say a cover is a good deterrent (no, really!). You're just trying to make it more hassle to nick your bike instead of someone else's.

I'm starting to really like alarms, they put the little blighters right off. Alarmed disc locks are okay but they can be covered/muffled and they all seem to succumb to the rain eventually, but proper under seat systems are great and there's nothing to carry about. I wouldn't bother with an immobiliser though, far too much hassle.

The practicality of them is right up there with top boxes, as far as I'm concerned.

I have an alarm on the Honda which is quite handy as it self arms, bleeps if anyone nudges the bike and then lets all hell break loose if the interference continues. It won't stop the bike being nicked by anyone determined enough (but seriously - no self-respecting thief is likely to go to any great lengths to nick it anyway) - so for that application it works.

The Bobber - there is nowhere to fit an alarm or even an immobiliser. So I have bought a good quality alarm disc lock for that. The Oxford AX14 is a reasonable compromise between size and strength. Best bet is two disc locks - one front, one rear, with the best one on the rear. It won't stop a determined thief but it is enough to make them look elsewhere. Most thieves are lazy.

If a thief is stealing to order then frankly short of locking the bike in a bank vault there's not a lot you can do. Most of the time you're aiming to make yours the least easy target. What thieves really don't like is being caught so anything that makes it more likely it will take them time, during which they're vulnerable to being collared, is what you're looking to achieve.

Multiple smaller locks are better than one big lock.

I'm not sure what the hassle is about immobilisers - both mine have them and they are fit and forget. The Honda is within the alarm so when you turn off the alarm the immobiliser is switched off. The Triumph is within the ECU so it just checks you have the correct key. I guess some aftermarket cheaper versions might need separately disarming.

:stupid:

I have the Triumph alarm which is a Datatool one fitted and it also auto sets after about 45 seconds. The Triumph keys are coded to the ECU so effectively immobilise the bike if the correct key is not used. I also use a Triumph Artego U lock on the front and an ABUS Granite disk lock for the back. The U-lock can also be used to attach bike to appropriate street furniture, if available, instead of going through the front wheel. Councils really need to put decent street furniture in more places to attach bikes to. I realise that none of the above will stop a determined thief but hopefully it is enough to make most of them go elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Lock hasps can be cut, chains can be cut or shattered, lock cylinders can be drilled, Alarms are routinely ignored, bikes can be trailered away.

Given that no lock is ultimately secure and no alarm is effective you take your chances and trust to luck.

My choices for what they are worth are,

for the most insecure location - a sturdy bike lock and chain plus a disklock

for all other locations including outside the house, - a disklock

for occasional short term in safe locations - no lock

A disklock is small light and difficult to overcome having no exposed hasp to cut so it make a great deal of sense.

Buy a desirable bike and thieves will desire it. If you don't have a desirable bike all you have to defeat is the opportunist thief and he is easily defeated.

The most effective lock is the one you have with you. A disklock is carried easily and a small disklock is pretty good bang for your bucks.

I got the ABUS granite disk lock and the Oxford boss lock and big chain and padlock which they are all Havey so I got them to the bike as I used to have them in a back pack but the weight brakes your back so I lump them to the bike so the bike takes the weight. ..

I'm starting to really like alarms, they put the little blighters right off. Alarmed disc locks are okay but they can be covered/muffled and they all seem to succumb to the rain eventually, but proper under seat systems are great and there's nothing to carry about. I wouldn't bother with an immobiliser though, far too much hassle.

The practicality of them is right up there with top boxes, as far as I'm concerned.

[mention]Snod Blatter[/mention] Which one have you got ?

I have a Datatool Demon Evo which came with the Z250 and a £10 Chinese black box under the brand name "Master Racing" on the BMW. The Chinese one is the loudest and so far both have been perfectly reliable.

Press a button on the fob, listen for the beep beep and walk away safe in the knowledge that your bike is now far more annoying to steal than most others..

That Is a great suggestion but unfortunately I have multiple places of work. Took a lighter bike lock today. Going to buy a disc lock thingy I think and I will mix and

Match dependent upon journey.

That Is a great suggestion but unfortunately I have multiple places of work. Took a lighter bike lock today. Going to buy a disc lock thingy I think and I will mix and

Match dependent upon journey.

:shock: I hope you have business insurance! you don't want them to find an excuse to not pay out if the worst happens

:shock: I hope you have business insurance! you don't want them to find an excuse to not pay out if the worst happens

Thanks for checking in case I did not know. I do and I double checked the other day that I am covered.

If you don't use the lock other than when you're parking up at work, why not just leave the lock attached to whatever post/pole/fence etc that's next to the bike parking?

Someone wants your bike, they put glue in the unattended lock. You pull up for work, can't lock your bike, leave it unlocked and minutes later it's gone...

If you don't use the lock other than when you're parking up at work, why not just leave the lock attached to whatever post/pole/fence etc that's next to the bike parking?

Someone wants your bike, they put glue in the unattended lock. You pull up for work, can't lock your bike, leave it unlocked and minutes later it's gone...

Fair point I suppose, I don;t even have to think about things like that at my work. Loads of bikes parked up on the street with no security, usually pretty quiet, so I just use a disc lock so mines is the most work to steal.

Put on Datatag or a tracker and have the bike display something to show that is installed. For some thieves, a tracked or security marked bike is not worth the hassle, so they will move on to another without.