Tracker or Alarm Imobiliser?

What actually is the best deterrent?

An alarm immobilizer makes it harder to steal and more obvious, but who tackles thieves with hammers these days?

A tracker lets you know where your shit went but are you going to storm the lion's den to get it back? The Police will take their time and by then the lion has dis-resembled your pride and joy (and defeated you tracker in comfort).

Ok, BOTH is even better but that could cost more than the bike.

Opinions? What do thieves actually think?

Old age question with no real answer other than if they want it, they will get it, so by making it harder to get, they might not be bothered etc etc etc etc 10% of the value of your bike should be spent on security - so they say.

I have the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser, as well as factory fitted Datatool. I also have a cheap sim card that pings me an SMS every 30 seconds if it moves out of a designated area, & my bike is stored in a shipping container with 2 abloy locks - #paranoia However whilst i am out on the road, due diligence is the key, & not being further than earshot/eyesight from your bike. And would i stop a thief/thieves? Depends on how many, and what they are carrying.

• 4 weeks later...

My view is that often we defeat ourselves.

We want a bike to be proud of that looks wonderful dynamic fast and drop dead gorgeous.

Most stolen bikes are either impulse thefts or are stolen to order. A bike theft gang, the professionals if you will, want a desirable bike that is easily shifted, If a theft gang goes for a bike they don't want that bike to stay in their possession any longer than it has to.

We therefore spend a lot of money making our bikes desirable to thieves and shoot ourselves in the foot because of that.

My bike is an older design, an undesirable ratty looking bike with little resale value. The professionals who have the tools to take any bike they desire look for much more marketable bikes than mine.

All I have to do then is defeat the casual passing thief. A casual passing thief lacks the tools to open a disklock or a solid chain. Even a steering lock alone makes a bike impossible for a kid with no tools to nick when he just wants an easy ride home.

The bottom line is, a bike worth 10,000 pounds is much easier to sell than an old bike that looks like its worth less than a thousand. The risks are the same, but the money aint in the cheap bike so it is passed over.

I know that stolen pushbikes for example worth nearly a grand are being sold by thieves for around 5 to 10 quid. A motorbike worth a grand will have a resale value to a thief of maybe 100 to 200 quid. It aint worth their time to nick cheap rubbish.

Ive been biking for 30 years and owned 4 bikes, a 125, a 550, and two 900's often relying on steering lock alone sometimes using a disk lock and occasionally a chain, and ive never had one stolen. I think I understand the enemy.