Hello - first post and advice needed

Hi all - this is my first post, so I'll start with a really quick intro before seeking some advice from fellow members.

I'm 58, and have just returned to biking after a 35 year hiatus (I currently have a YBR 125). In my youth, I rode a 125cc and never ended up taking by bike test; however, I'm well into the process this time around and have completed my CBT and theory test so far. Next week I have some intensive training booked on the school's DAS bikes before taking my MOD1 at the end of the week, and - hopefully - MOD2 the week after. Once I've passed I have a quite short shortlist to test, but really my heart is set on the T100 Bonneville, which I've been sitting on and fondling lovingly for a while now.

Anyway, on to my question. I have two helmets - an Arai Axces 3 full face, and an AGV X70 open face (the latter for poodling around town rather than for journeys on the open road). I'd originally wanted a Davida open face but couldn't get them on/off without near tearing off my ears; the AGV is a beautiful fit, but sadly I didn't do enough research regarding visors before I bought it and, as glasses wearer, I have some limitations in terms of fixed visors as helmet removal with glasses in situ can be a bit hit and miss.

I'd really like to buy the Davida GOV or JPV visor, but unfortunately my helmet has studs on the front. Has anyone used either of these visors on a studded helmet, and if so how did you find it? I'm concerned not only about ease of use, but also about the studs potentially scratching the polycarbonate lens.

Many thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

try contact lenses they are an absolute revelation for biking. They don't fog up, obstruct peripheral vision, dictate what helmets you can and cannot wear. I have, in the last two months, gone over to them after struggleing with spectacles for 20+ years and they are wonderful. I'm using the daily ones as they are much more flexible and, for me, easier to use.

I'm not sure that would be an easy transition, Mike - I have myopia in one eye and an astigmatism in the other. I'll have a think about it, though.

Anyway, aside from those mentioned in the OP there's seemingly another decent option - the Leon Jeantet Aviator Pilot T2, designed to wear over glasses with cutouts in the padding. Not cheap, but good quality and probably worth a try-on.

One of my lids has cutouts for the glasses arms and they really help. Having said that I'm with Mike. I switched to contact lenses earlier this year and the transition is easier than you think. I get dailies as well and have got quite quick at taking them in and out. So much better than glasses. I also have astigmatism. Specsavers do a free trial so I got a weeks worth free to try.

One of my lids has cutouts for the glasses arms and they really help. Having said that I'm with Mike. I switched to contact lenses earlier this year and the transition is easier than you think. I get dailies as well and have got quite quick at taking them in and out. So much better than glasses. I also have astigmatism. Specsavers do a free trial so I got a weeks worth free to try.

Thanks - I've not really thought about it before now, but I clearly should. Could I get daylies, then, made up to my specific prescription (of myopia one one side and astigmatism on the other)?

Edited by learningtofly

Thanks - I've not really thought about it before now, but I clearly should. Could I get dailies, then, made up to my specific prescription (of myopia one one side and astigmatism on the other)?

They come in standard prescriptions rather than being made up so they'll give you the closest to your needs. You'll need an eye test first to check suitability. I'm short sighted one side and astigmatic the other like yourself so get daily toric lenses, a pack for each eye to match the prescription.

Once you have the check for suitability you then have an appointment so they can show you how to put hem in and taken them out. You then have to demonstrate you can do it (I had to go twice as first time I couldn't get them in and ran out of time). They then give you a weeks supply to try. If you don't like them no big deal.

Thanks - I've not really thought about it before now, but I clearly should. Could I get dailies, then, made up to my specific prescription (of myopia one one side and astigmatism on the other)?

They come in standard prescriptions rather than being made up so they'll give you the closest to your needs. You'll need an eye test first to check suitability. I'm short sighted one side and astigmatic the other like yourself so get daily toric lenses, a pack for each eye to match the prescription.

Once you have the check for suitability you then have an appointment so they can show you how to put hem in and taken them out. You then have to demonstrate you can do it (I had to go twice as first time I couldn't get them in and ran out of time). They then give you a weeks supply to try. If you don't like them no big deal.

Fantastic, thank you. I'll pop in and have a chat with them about it.

I always remove glasses first.

Also contacts can be made for most prescriptions. I had Torric to fix the astigmatism and I have also tried multi focal to replace my varifocal glasses. Unfortunatly can not get on with them. Would still need reading glasses.. :evil:

But try them and see how you go.

You still need spectacles for when you don't use the contacts or to see to put them in. It is not a cheap option but for me it was wonderful. I also have reading spectacles, computer spectacles, and normal varifocals - all for when I can't be bothered with the contacts.

For me the main reason was to ride the bike more safely as I can see better with them in preference to spectacles under the lid.

What [mention]mikestrivens[/mention] and [mention]goat[/mention] said is spot on.

In April I finished up 20+years as an ophthalmic nurse at Bristol Eye Hospital so I’m not talking out of my hat. You will be able to get contacts. Sometimes it takes a bit of mucking around to find what best suits you. Dailies are by far the most popular with good reason- no messing around with cleaning solutions etc.

Once you’ve cracked the contacts you won’t be interested in the helmets your currently looking at because every helmet will be an option but most likely you won’t notice your helmet because you’ll be too busy browsing all the sunglasses you can now buy without a thought!

What @mikestrivens and @goat said is spot on.

In April I finished up 20+years as an ophthalmic nurse at Bristol Eye Hospital so I’m not talking out of my hat. You will be able to get contacts. Sometimes it takes a bit of mucking around to find what best suits you. Dailies are by far the most popular with good reason- no messing around with cleaning solutions etc.

Once you’ve cracked the contacts you won’t be interested in the helmets your currently looking at because every helmet will be an option but most likely you won’t notice your helmet because you’ll be too busy browsing all the sunglasses you can now buy without a thought!

As it’s happens, if I could use my Maui Jims on my bike my life would be complete. Gooid point, we’ll made! :thumb:

I wear contacts also. It makes riding at certain temperatures much safer because there are no glasses to fog up.

Going back to one answer that you received. When I do wear my glasses I take them off, put my helmet on and then put my glasses back on. Reverse for taking lid off.

I don’t know why you would want to keep your glasses on while trying to pull your lid over them?? :scratch:

I wear contacts also. It makes riding at certain temperatures much safer because there are no glasses to fog up.

Going back to one answer that you received. When I do wear my glasses I take them off, put my helmet on and then put my glasses back on. Reverse for taking lid off.

I don’t know why you would want to keep your glasses on while trying to pull your lid over them?? :scratch:

My glasses process was similar

Take off glasses

Balance them on the bike

Take helmet off

Realise glasses are now on the floor

Pick up glasses and put them on

Realise I can see through them cos they are now covered in crap

Wipe them on my t-shirt.

My glasses process was similar

Take off glasses

Balance them on the bike

Take helmet off

Realise glasses are now on the floor

Pick up glasses and put them on

Realise I can see through them cos they are now covered in crap

Wipe them on my t-shirt.

I’ve not done that yet 😂

A mate who I ride with a lot has lost 3 pairs in 2 years. He has a habit of taking them off and resting them on his handlebars. He forgets they are there after a rest stop and just puts his lid on. He obviously only needs them for distance.

I've scratched several pairs of spectacles by them falling onto the ground when I rested them on the bike to put my helmet on and off. Should have put them in the top box. Having said that I scratched a visor on my Schuberth C4 in the top box. The scratch was right in front of the eye when visor down so annoying and expensive scratch.

Talk to your optician about monthly continuous wear contacts.

I dont get on with contacts, for the love of me i just cant get the things in without my eyes forcing shut. However a friend has the continous wear ones which he now wouldnt be without. Stick them in and forget about them for a month before changing them, no taking out every night and putting in solution etc... He's had no issues after around 18 months of using them.

Yes, I didn’t make that clear. It’s because I’d be able to pop a bubble (or other fixed) visor on my open face helmet.

I wear glasses and have tried contacts but they just don't work for me. I have tried various kinds over the years but seem to get some kind of allergic reaction to them. So I am stuck with glasses. I have ridden in contacts and had a horrible experience when something got into one on a motorway, even with the visor down. So personally I'm quite happy riding in glasses.

I don't know the helmets you mention, but just from experience I use a Caberg Duke flip front helmet. I find I can put it on and take it off without needing to remove my glasses. It has the pinlock so it doesn't mist up as much. I find the vent works pretty well in all weathers though in really cold weather round town I leave the visor just cracked open when I'm in traffic. It isn't the most expensive or glamorous bit of kit but I'm happy with it. There is an revised model now available.

Much as I like the look of open face helmets for certain kinds of bike I really wouldn't want to be wearing one in an off.

[mention]Mississippi Bullfrog[/mention] It is likely residue from the cleaning fluid causing the problem, if it’s strong enough to kill bacteria it’s not really surprising so many people have a problem with it. Opticians (generally they’re not even opticians doing the contacts) do not seem to recognise the large number of people who fail to get on with contacts due to allergy and dry eye. If you get red eyes (past the initial week or so) here’s how to rectify the problem.

Rinse off all cleaning solution with saline eye drops (never tap water) before you put them in.

Put a saline (or other contact lens compatable) drop into the centre of the lens before putting it in your eye (many people scuff their eye as they try to put them in).

If your eyes are still red you may well have an allergy in the preservatives in the eye drops your using for cleaning (even the large bottle of eye drops claiming to be preservative free have a preservative in them that can irritate before they break down) so you would need to switch to completely preservative free drops. Something like these- https://smile.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Clinitas These ones are particularly handy as they reseal so last a lot longer and can be easily carried. Many people who regularly use normal eyedrops and cleaning solutions go on to develop a problem with preservatives.

If you start off comfortable and then find things starting to smart that maybe an indication of dry eye. Just stick a drop in every now and then.

Or as youve said give up and go with your glasses!

Or do what I did.....as a yute, I used to have 20/20 vision....but as I got older, my eyesight went down the toilet. Eventually had to wear glasses all the time...it was crap.

Then when I was in my mid 50's I started to develop cataracts. ...they don't know why the onset was so early - might have been due to prolonged exposure to IR 'cos the fire service....Anyway, crapping myself, had the cataracts done. Not a pleasant operation but strangely painless and once you've had the first one done, the second is (almost) a walk in the park! But.......did it work?

Bloody Hell yes! It was like someone tearing a layer of plastic bag off of my eyes! I could see again! The new lenses are great for distance, I only have to wear a pair of readers for very small print.

Sorry about the ramble but just to let those in a similar position know that there IS "light at the end of the tunnel". But when I think about all the times I rode with no visor or indeed any form of eye protection....never, ever, again. :shock:

PS: at least I'm only deaf now.........

Lol. The reading glasses are upon me as I have found myself moving print towards the window for better light!

Cataract surgery is phenomenally effective and I wouldnt hesitate to have it if needed. The deterioration tends to be slow so you dont realise what youve lost and then taa daa- its back! The analogy I always used was its like a car windscreen slowly getting dirtier and you can still see until eventually you realise you need to clean the windscreen and blow me down everything is sharp and bright again! Worth it.

[mention]Speedy23[/mention] glad you shared a good experience, most people are petrified and after its done theyre not sure what they were worried about! Its a lovely surgery for me to have been a part of.