Shoei Helmet

Since getting my big big bike and being able to ride on the motorway I have found my £75 Airoh Mira flip front Helmet to be very lacking. It leaks water, it is very noisy, it seems to catch the wind badly (I assume down to poor aerodynamics), the position of the visor / pinlock means that when tucking down an annoying line appears where the pinlock meets the visor, over bumps the sun visor sometimes pops down, and the ratchet lock thing is very uncomfortable at speed. Today was the ultimate though. After a quick lifesaver changing lanes in the m61 the wind caught under flip front, which I thought was locked in place. This obscured my vision whilst travelling 70mph (cough cough) and choke me a bit. I ended up having to pull over to sort it out. So, I have bitten the bullet and ordered the Shoei full face helmet I tried on last week at J and S accessories. Had to stretch the old piggy bank but it felt so comfy and "right" that I hope. Its money well. Spent. I only had the Airoh one 6 months but you get what you pay for I guess

Which one did you get? I've just bought a Neotec 2 but I have to sit down whenever I look at the receipt. :shock:

Nice helmet though. Will report back on how it's doing.

Update: Just heard that Santa might be bringing the Sena SRL integrated comms system to go with me new titfer. Can anyone think of a belief system where the festive giving of gifts starts in the next few days? :lol:

Edited by Anonymous

It is a Shoei Qwest. I'm told the model is being discontinued hence £250 which is a good price for a Shoei but it is infinitely better than my current one.

My last 2 helmets have been front flip so this will be my first full face. I think I will miss the ability to pop up the front at petrol stations

It is a Shoei Qwest. I'm told the model is being discontinued hence £250 which is a good price for a Shoei but it is infinitely better than my current one.

My last 2 helmets have been front flip so this will be my first full face. I think I will miss the ability to pop up the front at petrol stations

You will notice the difference. Enjoy. Must admit that I prefer open face or flip front too. But you will soon get used to the advantages conferred by the Shoei. :thumb:

I too have succumbed to the call of the Neotec 2

Its on order, deposit paid just the eye watering balance to pay when I go to collect it. Think best pop into Cheddar ales next door to pick up some anaesthetic for after Ive paid!

It better live up to expectations....

Hi SCM, are you going for the comms system as well? I was thinking (makes a change) that perhaps might be able to find something at the NEC but received wisdom is that "show specials" seem to be a thing of the past. We'll see.......

I’m switching to the flip front as I can be completely dehydrated and still ride past a petrol station rather than stop and get a drink because I cant be bothered to remove my helmet! Tried tipping the water in sideways once.. not my brightest moment.

Top Tip....use a straw!

Funnily enough I dont carry straws around with me, remiss of me I know.

Garages dont have straws anymore and everyone’s ditching them for being environmentally unfriendly so basically I’m blaming the new responsible society for me spending cough cough amounts on a new helmet. Oh yes.

I had a similar problem some time ago, I invested in a shoei and have never looked back, money well spent, comfortable, quiet and really does the job, I reviewed it in the tried and tested section of the forum. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Just a small update.

My Shoei arrived yesterday. It is a very nice piece of kit and the quality of the materials is so much better than my previous helmets. I spent a while fitting the pinlock and working out how the visorlock system works. This is excellent. it has 3 settings. unlock (like any helmet), lock - locks the visor in place and gap thingy, raises the visor up by a few millimetres to allow a small flow of air - great for me as i wear glasses and it really helps to keep them clear on a damp morning like today.

I struggled a little at first with the double D Fastener but i am now a firm believer that all things in life are better as Double D..... - On a serious note, it felt more comfortable than the ratchet system on my old helmets.

I found a bit of an issue when tucking down with my previous helmet where there was a gap between the edge of the pinlock and the top of the visor and this caused a slightly obscured view but this is not a problem with the Shoei. Also, the range of vision is excellent.

So, in summary, whilst i realise that you cannot put a price on safety, £250 is a lot for me to spend given my old helmet was only £75 and that it was only 6 months old but after my visor pop-up incident and mini choky experience it had to go. The helmet fits perfectly on my on my slightly odd shaped head, has great ventilation, great vision, comes with a Pinlock included, has a 5 Star SHARP safety rating and feels very good quality. Given this I actually think the £250 price is very good and I think I will remain loyal to this quality brand.

If the Shoei fits.........................

A good fitting cheap helmet is better than a bad fitting expensive one. :wink:

Yeah, I remember the guy who did my CBT saying he'd spent something like £65 on his helmet, but that it was the best he'd ever owned in 30 odd years of riding.

I'll admit to being surprised when I first looked at helmets as I assumed that more expensive ones would be a LOT lighter. I'm sure for long days or track days the small weight saving for a several hundred pound helmet can make a difference, but the gains weren't that massive, so I was happy to go with one that seemed to fit as my first one

Yeah, I remember the guy who did my CBT saying he'd spent something like £65 on his helmet, but that it was the best he'd ever owned in 30 odd years of riding.

....what make was it - an "Egshel" by any chance?

No, that's what Sean Connery uses for spreadsheets

No, that's what Sean Connery uses for spreadsheets

Toushe, Mish Munnypenny..... :mrgreen: