Oxford not-so-Boss Disc Lock

Guest Speedy23

Well,

Had an "interesting" experience with the above item of kit......

Went into town last Friday to run a few errands.....left bike in dedicated bike park and deftly applied said OBL. Imagine my delight, on returning to the bike, when I attempted to remove the lock. The (crappy) semi-circular section key would not fully enter the keyway, and (obviously, I hope) the lock would not open again :shock: . The lock was well and truly jammed shut. The key was not damaged, there was no shite in the keyway - the key would just not go in. I had visions of having to get the RAC out to cut the lock off (but would they, I wonder?)......but after about 20 minutes of jiggling the key in the lock, it pushed home and I was able to take the lock off the wheel. Tried putting the lock back together (yes, it was off the bike, silly...) - it locked OK and then bloody jammed again. Looking on the bright side, it only took 5 minutes this time to open it again.

I AM NOT REASSURED BY ALL THIS. Yes, I know, it's not top-of-the-range, but it also ain't cheap. Has anybody else run into this problem? I won't use it again in case I do get irrevocably stuck. What do you all think?

Well,

Had an "interesting" experience with the above item of kit......

Went into town last Friday to run a few errands.....left bike in dedicated bike park and deftly applied said OBL. Imagine my delight, on returning to the bike, when I attempted to remove the lock. The (crappy) semi-circular section key would not fully enter the keyway, and (obviously, I hope) the lock would not open again :shock: . The lock was well and truly jammed shut. The key was not damaged, there was no shite in the keyway - the key would just not go in. I had visions of having to get the RAC out to cut the lock off (but would they, I wonder?)......but after about 20 minutes of jiggling the key in the lock, it pushed home and I was able to take the lock off the wheel. Tried putting the lock back together (yes, it was off the bike, silly...) - it locked OK and then bloody jammed again. Looking on the bright side, it only took 5 minutes this time to open it again.

I AM NOT REASSURED BY ALL THIS. Yes, I know, it's not top-of-the-range, but it also ain't cheap. Has anybody else run into this problem? I won't use it again in case I do get irrevocably stuck. What do you all think?

They have a reputation for being a decentish lock so send it back ask for a refund and see if they’re a decentish company!

I looked at that one but went for the Oxford XA14 alarmed lock which so far has been spot on. Does the lock need some lubrication in it? Don't use WD40 which will actually dry the lock of lubrication. You want some graphite in there - literally shavings off a pencil or (as I use) a graphite based oil. It is black so you only use a dab or the key will stain anything it touches.

The semi-circular type of key/barrel is prone to jamming in my experience - no idea why but a few things I've had which use that system seem to jam more than anything else. The XA14 has a different key/barrel which is very positive in action.