Gear for starting out

Hi all,

I've just done my cbt and will be picking up a little 125 until I turn 24 next May and can do my DAS. I'm new to riding and just need some advice on general gear as there are so many choices!

What sort of thing should I be looking at for a textile jacket, textile trousers, gloves and boots? There are so many different options, just wondering what you'd all be looking at brand-wise and protection level on a lower budget that will actually keep the majority of my body where it should be should I come off the bike!

Also in terms of security, what do you all use when leaving the bike in public and should it be chained to something solid or do most of you not?

Sorry for the open questions, new to the biking world and just trying to get some experienced advice!

Cheers,

- Jordan

Hello and welcome.

Pop in to your local J&S store. They have a lot of gear at reasonable prices. All motorcycle gear should provide a minimum of protection but this can often be enhanced by adding or getting better body armour.

Welcome, Jordan. Brand wise there are lots of options - an idea of budget would help. I'd be more inclined to trust gear from a shop than ebay - you can get helmets for £30 online... Textiles is best all weather gear for sure. I got some buffalo stuff my my dealer - does the job. Otherwise rst is good starter 'branded' gear.

Get a disc lock with an alarm on if you're getting one. I've got the xena x6 alarmed disc lock. They're OK for leaving the bike for short periods (ie Tesco) but it will need chaining to something if left all day.

At night the bike needs to be at least parked out of site or in a garage.

Welcome, Jordan. Brand wise there are lots of options - an idea of budget would help. I'd be more inclined to trust gear from a shop than ebay - you can get helmets for £30 online... Textiles is best all weather gear for sure. I got some buffalo stuff my my dealer - does the job. Otherwise rst is good starter 'branded' gear.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm probably looking at about £300 for jacket and helmet (unless effective and cheaper is possible) and then hopefully not as much for the rest haha!

I'll check those 2 brands out thank you

Get a disc lock with an alarm on if you're getting one. I've got the xena x6 alarmed disc lock. They're OK for leaving the bike for short periods (ie Tesco) but it will need chaining to something if left all day.

At night the bike needs to be at least parked out of site or in a garage.

Okay right, so for quick trips you use an alarmed disc lock and anything else you use that and chain it up? What sort of chain would you suggest, just anything thick?

It's in an underground car park at night, so it's only use during the day that I really need to worry about for now!

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm probably looking at about £300 for jacket and helmet (unless effective and cheaper is possible) and then hopefully not as much for the rest haha!

I'll check those 2 brands out thank you

Oh you can get jacket and lid for that. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/252230 https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/107134

I have this lid and I think its good value.

My advice is to get to a shop and try stuff on. I find sizing motorcycle clothing is really bad, I can fit gloves and helmets from medium to XL depending on brand. You need to try and see what fits, irrespective of brand.

Decide what weather you are going to ride in and by appropriate to that. The cheapest way to waterproof is to buy an overjacket and trousers.

Find stuff with CE rated armour and watch for jackets that have the pocket for back armour, but either nothing in them or just sponge padding.

Find stuff with CE rated armour and watch for jackets that have the pocket for back armour, but either nothing in them or just sponge padding.

I think that's quite normal - my dainese jacket doesn't come with a protector - was a £60 optional extra.

For 600 notes you should be able to get helmet, gloves, boots, leather jacket with armor, jeans with armor, rainproof insulated trousers with armor, and rainproof insulated jacket with armor.

I recommend leather jacket and jeans for when it warm, and rainproof gear for winter riding or for heavy rain. You maybe could get away with the leather jacket and jeans but you then need a waterproof oversuit to wear over it for heavy rain and save around a hundred. but having two sets of clothing is worth having.

I have used cheap and I have used expensive. Cheap is better.

Balaclava and neckwarmer are additional as is a fleece to wear under the jacket for when it gets cold.

I shove the gear in the wash every so often to prevent badger stink. The gloves can go in the wash.