Winter cover

Hello!

So now Ive finally purchased a big bike, I dont think I can get away with pushing it through a normal door into the utility room anymore like a 125 haha.

So Im looking for good covers to keep the bike safe during the colder months. The bike is an MT.

Is there anything thats either a very robust cover, or some kind of shell/small box you would recommend? I have a fair bit of room on my driveway but no garage or access to the back garden. Thanks!

Timely thread, as my new Bonneville will be arriving shortly and I'm having similar thoughts. I currently use an Oxford cover for my soon-to-depart YBR, but would like something a little more... structural.

Incidentally, a previous poster mentioned insurance benefits. So far as I'm aware, keeping a bike in the back garden constitutes "private land" as opposed to "driveway" (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, though).

You got room for something like this?

Counts as garaged for an Insurance point of view

This is the lair of the mighty Speedtriple.

It will rust away in there. I would stick 25mm polystyrene all round the walls, ceiling and door with spray on glue, then 4mm hard board to protect it. All the tiny gaps need sealing up and a draught excluder round the door. Then fit a thermostat and heater.

The thermostat has to be set above the dew point, Google for dew point forecast map.

The bike MUST be put away bone dry so if your commuting during the winter ignore all the above :mrgreen:

Did you buy the mt07?

I did! Well, Ive paid a deposit so its waiting MOD 2 completion. No-one else can take it now.

But taking note of people saying it may rust easily, I want to give it a proper home - we are looking to move haouse in the next year and we will be looking for a garaged property but the current pad doesnt.

You got room for something like this?

Counts as garaged for an Insurance point of view

This is the lair of the mighty Speedtriple.

It will rust away in there. I would stick 25mm polystyrene all round the walls, ceiling and door with spray on glue, then 4mm hard board to protect it. All the tiny gaps need sealing up and a draught excluder round the door. Then fit a thermostat and heater.

The thermostat has to be set above the dew point, Google for dew point forecast map.

The bike MUST be put away bone dry so if your commuting during the winter ignore all the above :mrgreen:

It’s we’ll ventilated, I put a cover over it and have not had any problems with rust.

The only downside is that the up and I’ve door is a bit noisy for early starts.

Incidentally, a previous poster mentioned insurance benefits. So far as I'm aware, keeping a bike in the back garden constitutes "private land" as opposed to "driveway" (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, though).

If I could wheel it into the back garden problem solved as we have a proper shed (like proper walls and lighting etc) however to get to the back from the front you have to go through the main house or via the utility room, which I can do at the moment with the lightweight 125 but anything more is going to be too hard!

Most bikes are good in flimsy fabric covers like the Oxford, or in something more substantial, but the more close fitting covers do not allow circulation of air and putting a cover over a wet bike can leave it in a damp environment and accelerate rust problems.

I think you are wise looking for a shed like box rather than a tight fitting cover, make sure there is plenty of ventilation to aid swift air drying then rust issues should be minimised.

Most bikes are good in flimsy fabric covers like the Oxford, or in something more substantial, but the more close fitting covers do not allow circulation of air and putting a cover over a wet bike can leave it in a damp environment and accelerate rust problems.

I think you are wise looking for a shed like box rather than a tight fitting cover, make sure there is plenty of ventilation to aid swift air drying then rust issues should be minimised.

IME the expensive covers that are 100% waterproof and elasticated are hard to put on and trap moisture. They also last about as long as cheap ones. I go through a cover a year and a half and use cheap ones from Aldi and Ghost bikes. The ones with holes to allow a chain to be fitted to the front stop it from blowing away.

This one looks decent, and seems a bit "neater" than others when assembled. The L size is confirmed as suitable for a Bonnie on Amazon, and from what I can see would be fine for an MT too.

This look the business and might be ideal for the space....

I use one of these they are ace

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I thought I'd update this thread as I've just put my Ridehide cover together and there is an issue that's probably worth noting...

It took about an hour, all in, and for the most part was relatively straightforward. What didn't help as all was that - on my cover, at least - the logo on the front face was printed upside down. I therefore wasted a fair amount of time turning the bloody thing around, upside down and inside out, trying to work out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't doing anything wrong, in fact, save that i wasn't standing on my head!

The deal breaker, though, is that I can't now bolt it down, as it's not actually big enough for the bike (despite what they say on their bloody data sheet). This is a problem because it means that it needs to be manipulated in order to pull it fully over the bike; otherwise the leading edge lowers onto the seat. In fact, if the front wheel isn't straight it also needs to be lifted over the uppermost mirror.

Anyway, there's no way it could be closed fully if it was bolted down, and its therefore going to be a nightmare in strong winds.

All in all, I'm singularly unimpressed.

Well, I thought I'd update this thread as I've just put my Ridehide cover together and there is an issue that's probably worth noting...

It took about an hour, all in, and for the most part was relatively straightforward. What didn't help as all was that - on my cover, at least - the logo on the front face was printed upside down. I therefore wasted a fair amount of time turning the bloody thing around, upside down and inside out, trying to work out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't doing anything wrong, in fact, save that i wasn't standing on my head!

The deal breaker, though, is that I can't now bolt it down, as it's not actually big enough for the bike (despite what they say on their bloody data sheet). This is a problem because it means that it needs to be manipulated in order to pull it fully over the bike; otherwise the leading edge lowers onto the seat. In fact, if the front wheel isn't straight it also needs to be lifted over the uppermost mirror.

Anyway, there's no way it could be closed fully if it was bolted down, and its therefore going to be a nightmare in strong winds.

Send it back!

not fit for purpose and all that

Send it back!

not fit for purpose and all that

To be honest, Stu, I just can’t be arsed to take it all down again, and half the packaging is in the wheelie bin now.

I think I may be able to cobble a solution together by using a ground anchor I have lying around, so I’ll have a play around with it tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Any waterproof cover with decent ventilation will work, I use to park my bike for 4 to 5 months on the driveway (working on cruisers), just with the decent cover and no rust ever appeared. important is to have enough air to circulate around. Of course XCP or similar treatment will help as well.

Anyway from security part will be better something solid like Asgard motorcycle shed, and insurance will be pleased