The law and lights

The law and lights.

I’m not one for wearing hi-vis but will on the motorway and if dark but I find the vest bulky to carry and want something I can just leave in the seat hump so Im looking at this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N1S11GK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1D39XDNRSX4N7&psc=1

I know bicycles have to by law display red lights at the rear which are now allowed to be flashing but don’t know where lighting yourself stands legally? If I was riding along wearing the above belt in flashing mode is that ok? Should I just take my super bright clip on rear bike light and would it be legal to use it in the slow flash mode (to save battery)?

I want some form of increased visibility higher up than my brake light, I just can’t decide how to do it or what’s legal.

You are quite right [mention]geofferz[/mention] Found what I was looking for in an old 2009 MCN article-

Can you use flashing cycle lights on a motorcycle?

Some riders are starting to use flashing bicycle lights in addition to their normal dipped beam when they are riding through heavy traffic.

The trouble is that it is illegal under the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which say that lamps on motor vehicles have to show a steady light, unless it's an indicator, emergency vehicle headlamp, a warning beacon or special warning lamp fitted to a Police vehicle.

However if you clip or tape the lights to your clothing, then they aren't vehicle-mounted and aren't subject to the lighting regulations...

This is the article link just for reference, its says exactly the same as above.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.motorcyclenews.com/amp/new-rider/choosing-kit/2009/december/dec1809-flashing-lights-on-a-motorcycle-/

Be interesting to see how that thing works. I used to have a band that went around my helmet which another rider told me was brilliant as it was above car roof height and moved about a lot. He'd spotted me ahead from miles back. Eventually it snapped and now that I wear a flip front I never replaced it. I had a belt something similar to that but I was never convinced it made any difference.

Living in a city centre and doing a lot of filtering one thing I notice is a difference between when I'm wearing a hi-viz Frank Thomas vest or just my usual black leathers. My habit is to watch for drivers' eye contact in the rear view mirror and then watch their front wheel. Some drivers have an instinct which is aggressive and they will automatically go to block a bike passing them. I see this happen when after making eye contact their immediate reaction is to turn the steering wheel outwards - you spot the front wheel twitch outwards even if the car isn't moving.

When I am wearing hi-viz the wheel twitches out and then they re-think and it goes back again. It's not a case they they don't see me wearing leathers, it is more a case of when they go to block they then think - I'm going to look a knob knocking off a biker in hi-vis saying I didn't see him.

So I reckon a hi-viz vest is worth it. I am not convinced it makes you that much easier to see, more that it curbs the aggressive streak in some motorists by making it less easy for them to ignore you.

Be interesting to see how that thing works. I used to have a band that went around my helmet which another rider told me was brilliant as it was above car roof height and moved about a lot. He'd spotted me ahead from miles back. Eventually it snapped and now that I wear a flip front I never replaced it. I had a belt something similar to that but I was never convinced it made any difference.

Living in a city centre and doing a lot of filtering one thing I notice is a difference between when I'm wearing a hi-viz Frank Thomas vest or just my usual black leathers. My habit is to watch for drivers' eye contact in the rear view mirror and then watch their front wheel. Some drivers have an instinct which is aggressive and they will automatically go to block a bike passing them. I see this happen when after making eye contact their immediate reaction is to turn the steering wheel outwards - you spot the front wheel twitch outwards even if the car isn't moving.

When I am wearing hi-viz the wheel twitches out and then they re-think and it goes back again. It's not a case they they don't see me wearing leathers, it is more a case of when they go to block they then think - I'm going to look a knob knocking off a biker in hi-vis saying I didn't see him.

So I reckon a hi-viz vest is worth it. I am not convinced it makes you that much easier to see, more that it curbs the aggressive streak in some motorists by making it less easy for them to ignore you.

An insightful account of the twitchy headed n wheeled driver me thinks :thumb:

I think people associate hi-vis with ‘officialness’ hence an upturn in hi-vis related crime. Once at work two men with a sack truck in hi-vis came in and wheeled the vending machine away, took quite some time for them to realise it wasn’t coming back!! :lol:

I think it does make you more visible, when I’ve been driving on the motorway at night on unlit parts I’ve often caught a very bright flash on the workmen’s clothes long before I could see them. Same with runners on country lanes (crazy running on narrow unlit roads with no pavements at night but they do) I’ve seen the reflective gear long before I can make out it’s a person.

Ahahaha I love that advert @Tiggie :lol: :mrgreen:

Me too. Ive never seen that before, what’s the point in great ads if they don’t cough up to air them? I want to know who did there lights though, maybe they could hook me up a big down pointing arrow to my head!

Would be a bit disappointing when you still heard sorry mate etc

Get a “ polite notice “ high vis , they are really cool :thumb:

I’d leave myself open to being sued for misrepresentation as my riding is frequently described as rude !!

Just today on my Biker Down course the retired copper said as long as you're not showing a red light to the front you can dress yourself up however you like.

He did also say whether you would want to or not is another matter :lol:

I have used these on the bicycle @Slowlycatchymonkey, they're very versatile and effective

https://fibreflare.com/

Thanks SometimesSansEngine, how opportune you were on the biker down course today. I’m thinking I’ll start work on the human Christmas tree look as soon as the EL wires turn up!

Looked at the EL wire for the Tron effect but I know I couldn’t bring myself to stick stuff on the helmet, that’s a neater solution. Very taken with the lunasee, would need to be a very neat job though- tape on my beautiful bike :shock: but I’d definitely put that on my bicycle.

Get a “ polite notice “ high vis , they are really cool :thumb:

I’d leave myself open to being sued for misrepresentation as my riding is frequently described as rude !!

Why? Do you forget to put your pants on before riding?

Pants ?? Oh b*gger, That’s why everyone points and laughs😉