The winter gloves thread

Its that time of year. It was 6°C and foggy yesterday morning, so wet visor = wet gloves. After an hour I arrived at the office and my fingertips actually hurt. So that's as low as Richa Peak goes.

What's next?

For heat- Keis heated liners. Lumpy but warm. You’ll need larger gloves to accommodate them or they will pinch around your fingers. There are some complaints about the longevity of them but used mine week in week out for a year with no problems. Just have to have some sympathy when you use them- they have non-stretchy electrics woven into them so yanking them on or off or pulling in the wires to separate them without holding by the stiff connectors will unsurprisingly cause their demise.

If you get some (I think they’re on offer £50 at sportsbikeshop) take them with you to a bike shop to try on under various gloves because you need a comfy fit that’ll be completely different from your usual.

The below item has proven itself worth the money. Had it two years now (had a smaller one before that) and wet boots, shoes and gloves will dry out overnight. Doesn’t seem to cause any material degradation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MCVOUXE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or I have a version of this for drying boots n gloves which you can leave at work. I’m not vouching for this particular brand as I’ve never used it, I think mine came from a Ski shop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seeland-Boot-Dryer-Uk-Plug/dp/B00NZ3GBFM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1540048192&sr=8-4&keywords=Boot+dryer

Good quality marigolds under decent quality winter gloves - works for me. I'll ride below freezing to my folks who live 40 miles away. Fingers are feeling the chill for sure but not unbearably so. It helps to go easy on the motorway as wind chill increases exponentially with speed.

Wind chill at speed = take 20º away from actual temperature. Something like that.

I have been commuting recently on the bike the first time ever and it was down to 4º the other morning. My commute is a 64 mile round trip and 62 miles is all 70mph dual carriageway. I have a pair of Richa Cold Protect gloves which are gore tex and have thinsulate lining. and even with hand guards and Oxford heated grips on about 60% the ends of my fingers and thumbs were getting painful.

I’ve just ordered a pair of Rukka Imatra gloves that have Outlast lining in them. It was a toss up between those and the Rukka R-Star 2-in-1 but the little finger bridge on the former won it for me.

Edited by fullscreenaging

Tucano Urbano muffs. For serious riding throughout the winter they are the best solution, particularly when paired with heated grips. They do look crap but after using them once I was sold. You do need to make sure you set them up right though, as every bike is a little different.

Gerbings heated gloves are also great but really pricey.

I vill only say this wernce, Richa Cold Protect

Not from what I’ve experienced [mention]raesewell[/mention] Have a read of my post above, or below depending on your forum settings 😂

They have been good (if not a little bulky) for 3 years. I’ve obviously not been ridding in properly cold weather..??

My Rule of thumb. Below 10°c = Car. Maybe stretch to a bit lower if I'm out early and the forecast is good.

No car? Buy a bag of shite for the winter :thumb:

:lol: wimp. I've only just put my coats inner lining in, bought a snood and turned the heated grips upto 40%. I haven't put my pants liners in yet nevermind considering changing my gloves or looking at the big covers. I only have a shirt under my coat. The dash was reading 5C when I got to work.

Rich cold protect plus heated grips plus hand guards make things comfortable enough for me down to about 2C at 70mph.

I've not tried the Rukka gloves. Still to find the prefect glove for winter but hopefully [mention]fullscreenaging[/mention] will let us know how he gets on with his new pair.

whatever you do DO NOT USE latex/nitrile gloves underneath as a method ..increases the risk of dermatitis massively where hands are bathed in moisture but can't breathe .

My Rule of thumb. Below 10°c = Car. Maybe stretch to a bit lower if I'm out early and the forecast is good.

No car? Buy a bag of shite for the winter :thumb:

But a turd only stays warm for so long . or do you stop at random dog walkers and buy their bag of stench ?

Rich cold protect plus heated grips plus hand guards make things comfortable enough for me down to about 2C at 70mph.

I've not tried the Rukka gloves. Still to find the prefect glove for winter but hopefully @fullscreenaging will let us know how he gets on with his new pair.

That’s weird about the Richa Cold Protect’s. 2 people out of 3 are happy at temperatures lower than I experienced.

The Imatra’s are amazing! I would expect anything less from Rukka though. 2 days in. They were immediately comfortable and will only get better once bedded in (which I think will only take 3 or 4 more times)

The weather has been very mild over that last two mornings with the lowest being 7º so the jury is still out for cold weather performance. I will say that as they are slightly thinner than the Richa’s the heat from the grips penetrates better and so I can have them on a lower setting. I think I’ll be able to wear these for 3 seasons.

I’ll update in a month or so.

Edited by fullscreenaging

Bar mittens work really well - they just look shite. Silk inner gloves in proper lined outers are good, too.

I've got muffs on my shitbox. I've tried loads of gloves and stuff over the years including heated grips and the muffs win hands down (geddit?).

Heated grips are good for my palms but my fingertips get all numb and painful but then I do have big old hands.