Gringo ECE approval

Hey guys,

I see the Biltwell Gringo is finally getting ECE approval 🙌🏼. Does anyone know if that means current Gringo’s will be approved, or only the newly produced ones?!

Cheers,

Jules

Oh bloody hell I just bought a helmet ⛑ and I was hanging out for them getting approval but gave up. That and they look nice but don’t really do what I want comfort/convenience wise!

Where did you see the info? I’d email them.

I doubt they’ll be approving the previous iterations. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s taken them the years it has because they couldn’t get it through without altering the way they manufacture/construct them. I don’t know that, I’m just having a guess at why it’s taken them years when their sales would soar with the ECE rating approval.

What's the attraction? It looks horrible and it hasn't got a visor ! Is this a hipster retro thing perhaps ?

Gringo S has the visor.

They look like my first helmet. A centurion from Halfords.

Strictly speaking, I think you could wear the old version if you wanted to..... I'm pretty sure that the Motorcycles (Wearing of Helmets) Regs only state that a helmet should be reasonably expected to provide the same standard of protection as a certified helmet..... so if it conforms to any foreign standard such as USA DOT, you should be legal......

From UK>GOV site

Safety helmet standards

All helmets worn on UK roads must meet one of the following:

British Standard BS 6658:1985 and carry the BSI Kitemark

UNECE Regulation 22.05

a European Economic Area member standard offering at least the same safety and protection as BS 6658:1985, and carry a mark equivalent to the BSI Kitemark

What's the attraction? It looks horrible and it hasn't got a visor ! Is this a hipster retro thing perhaps ?

Gringo S has the visor.

Luxury !

[mention]fastbob[/mention] aah now c’mon each to their own. I don’t get the slagging off of the hipsters thing, the more bikers the better. Boring if we were all the same.

I love all bikes including the retro stuff, that’s my first memories of what bikes n helmets etc look like and what I badly wanted when I was small. When the sports bikes arrived on the scene I remember being upset mobikes had “gone all plasticky” Took me a while to appreciate the mountains of plastic.

88EBFA29-B25B-47C1-B03B-B41F4D6D62A0.thumb.jpeg.73328ff55953ad7330439b3fd0283cd9.jpeg

:thumb:

@Six30 are you sure? I’m thinking the silver glitter helmet they do might suit you down to the ground :D

[/quo[mention]Six30[/mention]

Yes that could be my firing out of a cannon lid

From UK>GOV site

Safety helmet standards

UNECE Regulation 22.05

a European Economic Area member standard offering at least the same safety and protection as BS 6658:1985, and carry a mark equivalent to the BSI Kitemark

Aha...but see SI 1998 No. 1807 - Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1988

Reg. 4 (3)(a)(ii)..........I don't think this has ever been repealed?

Don't like the look of them myself. Don't seem to come far enough down beneath the chin for my taste. Still each to their own and it'd be boring if we were all the same.

Is your real name Jimmy Hill?

I’m wondering how a non ECE rated helmet would go down with the insurance co in the event of injuring yourself in an accident- assuming the policy includes personal accident cover. They’re tricksy so n so’s.

I think (although I don’t know) that they only check the helmet in very serious incidents, anyone have any experience?

From UK>GOV site

Safety helmet standards

UNECE Regulation 22.05

Aha...but see SI 1998 No. 1807 - Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1988

Reg. 4 (3)(a)(ii)..........I don't think this has ever been repealed?

4 (3) (a)

(ii)is of a type manufactured for use by persons on motor cycles which by virtue of its shape, material and construction could reasonably be expected to afford to the wearer a degree of protection from accidental injury similar to or greater than that provided by a helmet of a type prescribed by regulation 5;

That is open to a degree of interpretation with "reasonably be expected to".

Oh the hours wasted trying to get a smooth landing.

">

Ya gotta love the big windy-up handle thing to get it going........where can I get one for the FJR? :thumb: And as you say, SCM, how many hours and takes did it require to put that 45 seconds of ad together.......????

Mind you, when I think about how long it has taken me to be able to reliably get to the shops and back for a pint of milk without falling off...... :shock:

Cripes. Must have been days worth of work. Trade descriptions could have involved themselves. No amazon reviews back then to tell you “save your money it doesn’t work”

On the other hand there was no internet and nothing on the telly and if we hadn’t of spent hours building different size ramps we would have only been outside finding things to poke with a stick :lol: