Leaking Goretex boots

I've some Daytona Goretex boots which I've had for just under three years from new. They've kept my feet dry through many a downpour, but they've now started to leak. And the manufacturer are telling me they're willing to repair them for "from €166, perhaps more" which is a crazy money. But I thought Goretex was guaranteed for life... :scratch:

I've some Daytona Goretex boots which I've had for just under three years from new. They've kept my feet dry through many a downpour, but they've now started to leak. And the manufacturer are telling me they're willing to repair them for "from €166, perhaps more" which is a crazy money. But I thought Goretex was guaranteed for life... :scratch:

It is.. but only by Gore themselves.. so if you want to avoid a repair bill. contact Gore.

Daytona are handmade in Germany.. they might just send you a brand new pair. (possibly) maybe have a hunt online see if this has happened to anyone else and how it was resolved.

Have you managed to narrow down the area that is leaking? Would be a lot less hassle (and cheaper) to try a waterproofing spray/sealing product first. I've just used SDoc100 for my textile jacket, trousers and backpack and it's done a good job. Went from getting the elbows and small patches saturated to water rolling off and only forming wet patches on the outer layers, they don't penetrate anymore, was only about £20 I think for a washing and re-proofing kit.

[mention]mikestrivens[/mention] Tranam said it would cost £193.20 to repair. I guess it's more as it includes shipping to Germany.

[mention]kingmunky[/mention] It's the top of my feet that get wet. I don't think it's coming in through the openings, as the wet area is dead centre, noy off to one side. I've tried applying the Daytona-branded water repellent, but they leak just the same as before.

[mention]Gerontious[/mention] I'll do a google to see what has happened to others - good idea. Failing that I'll contact Gore. And if that doesn't work, I guess I'll get some waterproof socks.

I guess I'll get some waterproof socks.

Plastic bags not good enough for you, eh??

After 4 years my GORE-TEX boots from TCX started to leak, a year later it's about the same. But the top is all torn up with crash damage and wear from the gear lever, I can't imagine that would be covered.. Would it?

[mention]mikestrivens[/mention] It seems that they come with a 2 year guarantee, after which you're on your own. There are a few people who say there's have never leaked in 6 or 7 years, but a lot more who say they lasted 2 or 3 years before the leaks started. People say the repair service is very good, in that they come back like new, but given that a new pair of Road Stars are £240 delivered, and you don't lose your boots for four weeks, that's got to be a better option.