Thermal bag / lining for a top box

Here's my problem: I work in Belfast, I live in Bangor, on my way home I pass our favourite chippy, but if I stop to pick up fish suppers how do I keep it warm for the last 9 miles of the journey home? Can you get something for a top box to keep stuff warm?

Don’t know about specific liners.

Depends how much time those 9 miles take and what the ambient temperature is.

Keeping food hot without electricity is the same as keeping people warm, you need layers.

A thermal lunch box in an insulated bag or polystyrene box with as much wadding (towel blanket etc) as needed to remove air space will do the trick.

I use an insulated lunch box in a thermal backpack (no wadding, can’t be bothered to lug it about) and it keeps everything hot for hours but if I was going home I’d probably just nuke it.

Alternatively you could steal a delivery moped and use that, bike crimes all the rage now.

Unfortunately food couriers around here are Deliveroo and they ride bicycles. Chips would definitely be cold. Perhaps I just eat the chips and tell the other half chippy was closed.

I'll keep an eye out for a polystyrene box and raid the hot press for old towels and see how it goes. Some experimentation with multiple visits may be required to find the optimum solution. Such a hardship :)

I have seen rechargeable battery heated clothing for bikes. What about a heated scarf or something like that to wrap the food in?

I know the road you ride, have ridden it a few times myself visiting relatives in NI.

Fish and chips don't travel well, they absorb moisture and it's just wrong, best you can do is get them wrapped separate and insulate best you can, a hot watter bottle in insulated box is cheap way to help them maintain heat, but would still recommend heating in fan oven on arrival.

Just call into chippy, eat your supper, tell Mrs it's closed and your not feeling well so don't need tea 😁

Can also recommend the chip company located at 47 Botanic Ave, Belfast BT17 1WJ, UK

Which is the chippy you use

I may have to do multiple chippy runs to experiment with different transport techniques :)

@bender is that not a pizza place? There seems to be something new there every time I go up that way. John Longs is a pretty decent chippy in town too. The Ruddy Duck in Holywood is where I'm talking about though.

I did the classic Antrim Coastal road in the car on a family holiday. On the bike I did a lot of the Donegal coastal road and a loop around Strangford Loch.