A question about visors

I'm planning to get Arai's dark smoke visor for my Axces 3 helmet, as it'll give me more choice in respect of (prescription) glasses when it's bright/sunny. I also think dark visors look quite cool.

I note that it's not road legal, so I'm wondering if the police ever bother stopping anyone for wearing dark visors given that I see them pretty much everywhere these days.

It's one of those things you're more apt to have a problem over if you get stopped for something unconnected. Another offence to add to the list. It's also something that could have a decidedly negative impact if you were involved in some kind of accident. It's also the kind if thing the police will be attentive to if you get stopped as part of a 'blitz', usually on a Sunday on roads to and from 'meets' where they randomly stop bikes and go over them looking for anything illegal. Small number plates. Race exhausts. Worn tyres and so on.

Doesn’t sound worth it. A friend of mine with a head turningly loud exhaust (which he says is legal) sometimes wears a helmet with a dark visor and has a tinsy number plate in black and silver mounted on its side (so you have to read it top to bottom rather than left to right) its fixed to the left side of his bike and not easy to see. I think he’s asking for trouble, the exhaust draws attention and the other offences are then obvious.

Never had a problem with a dark visor even when pulled for other offences!

I now have an arai with the pro shade so I don't have to carry two! Just makes it easier when touring

What's the pro shade, Stu?

Edit: Ah, got you... I'll have a think about that, because they do one for my helmet.

Edited by learningtofly

Never had a problem with a dark visor even when pulled for other offences!

I now have an arai with the pro shade so I don't have to carry two! Just makes it easier when touring

What's the pro shade, Stu?

one of these:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/206608

Not seen that before, very good idea though.

They work well

From what I am hearing Arai won't make a helmet with an internal visor! Whether it's true who knows! But this system will fit most Arai's

I never join in on these threads because I know nothing and bought everything cheap. But here goes. I have a leopard helmet with floppy up down front and an internal shade visor that drops down up with a wheel on the outside of the helmet all for a very cheap price that seems to do the job and has a safety mark etc.

They work well

From what I am hearing Arai won't make a helmet with an internal visor! Whether it's true who knows! But this system will fit most Arai's

Apparently they won’t make a helmet with an internal visor as it wouldn’t be as safe or pass the snell test. I have one fitted to my QV-Pro and I never notice it when it’s raised. And it’s better to look through than other internal visors when I have my glasses on too.

They work well

Apparently they won’t make a helmet with an internal visor as it wouldn’t be as safe or pass the snell test. I have one fitted to my QV-Pro and I never notice it when it’s raised. And it’s better to look through than other internal visors when I have my glasses on too.

Apparently Schubert and Shoei initially said the same thing. Then they produced one :scratch:

My Viper helmet has an internal sunshade I’ve only used it a couple of times because I find that when it’s down and the visor is closed my glasses steam up which defeats the purpose of the sunshade

They work well

Yes, that's absolutely right - they believe that it compromises the integrity of the shell.

Off the Arai website https://www.araihelmet.eu/en/accessories

An excellent example of Arai’s vision on protection and safety is the development of the PSS, the Pro Shade System. A clever drop-down sunvisor, combined with well known, wide vision Max Vision visor with optional Pinlock inlay lens.

It is the all-weather solution against sun glare, fogging and misting. The sun visor flips up and down with a flick of the hand and is fixed in position. A much asked question is however, why Arai did not use a build in sun visor. There are three good reasons not to use a build in sun visor:

* No reduction in thickness of the EPS inner shell is needed. When the visor is build in, the space for it is created by making the EPS liner thinner.

* No weakening of the outer shell. The air space needed for a build in visor and the lack of bonding between the outer shell and the inner EPS liner will weaken the outer shell.

* No operating mechanism needed. The operating system will also need space that is not available for the EPS liner any more. Furthermore it often contains metal parts within the EPS liner that could be dangerous in case of impacts.

Well, I've now gone and ignored all the advice and bought myself the dark smoke visor. I really do like it a lot (it looks great, barely affects vision and reduces glare considerably) and I'll just have ti take my chances with the rozzers :thumb:

Well, I've now gone and ignored all the advice and bought myself the dark smoke visor. I really do like it a lot (it looks great, barely affects vision and reduces glare considerably) and I'll just have ti take my chances with the rozzers :thumb:

To be honest I would have done the same :lol:

Yep - I have a dark visor that looks awesome and shades me from the sun. Just beware in the spring and autumn months of early sunsets - they're not great in the dusk!

For what it’s worth, I’ve worn dark visors for over 20 years and have never been pulled for it. I tend to carry a clear visor just in case it gets dark, I sometimes forget though.

A couple of years ago in Germany we were out until late and I forgot my clear visor, that was an interesting ride back to the hotel, squinting all the way with flies in my teeth :D

Ive got a box helmet with an internal visor, doesn't come down far enough for me and there is a gap meant for your nose I guess, but the corner of each eye can see the gap, so it throws my vision out, been tempted to get a tinted visor for the sunny days Im out riding.