Laryngophone for Comms

Just out of curiosity,

Anyone here ever used a laryngophone (throat microphone) for communication?

At work I have to use a radio and at times when it's too windy, I press the radio microphone against my neck and use it like a laryngophone so that 'Control' can hear me clearly, it then dawned on me that, that could be a great idea for clearer communication between the guys when out on the bikes riding at higher speeds.

I'm currently trying to find a set to buy online and was curious what you guys think of this idea?

Jack

I doubt it would work well due to a few reasons, but mostly because a lot of bike jackets collars are very stiff, and would likely interfere with it.

Good ones are also super expensive. Much more expensive than a standard comms kit for a helmet.

I have the Sena 20S Evo and the communications are very clear bike to bike at above three figures, no wind noise.

.....but what are those three figures.....? 8-)

I have the Sena 20S Evo and the communications are very clear bike to bike at above three figures, no wind noise.

.....but what are those three figures.....? 8-)

Asking the real questions :wink:

I doubt it would work well due to a few reasons, but mostly because a lot of bike jackets collars are very stiff, and would likely interfere with it.

Good ones are also super expensive. Much more expensive than a standard comms kit for a helmet.

See I never ride with my jacket fully zipped up, I just wear a snood around my neck to protect against the wind. I mean a throat mic certainly wouldn't be an issue for me, the problem I have is since posting this thread - I cannot for the life of me find a proper set of throat mics, all the ones on amazon look fake and I can't find these expensive ones you mention, it's like they're banned from public use :(

Loads of cheapies on the Bay, gotta be worth a few quid just to try 'em out. I'm sure you could jack something up that would do the trick...... :thumb:

I use a throat mic when playing Airsoft. I wear a buff at Airsoft and that is enough fabric to interfere with the sound quality.

The guys that play who use their "official" throat Comms say they have the same problem. Which is why they just use a shoulder mounted mic.