My experience of disc locks

When i got my full license I bought a Honda cb500f. It had an ART can on it and it sounded spectacular haha. Anyway a week after having it I came out one morning to go to work and found it lying down. Someone had tried to rob it, they cut through the chain no problem but the disc lock, I could see they tried to cut it but it was merely scratches and I believe that because of the disc lock is why it was still there. Though they did slash both tyres and smash some bits off which I guess is because they couldn't take it so they got angry haha. But now I depend on a disc lock and trust that more than anything. It's a Oxford one, so if you're considering one then get an Oxford. I also bought a kryptonite chain and lock too but I trust the Oxford a lot.

Thanks for the input!

I like my disc lock because it's also alarmed, and its a horrid noise! enough to put someone off and long enough to attract other people's attention if it does kick off. combine with my Oxford HD chain (elevated off the floor) it would be a pain in the bum to rob mine!

Beware of Oxford disc locks..... the ones with the semicircular keys have a tendency to jam shut, even when new, and you have to cut them off. Try explaining that one to the RAC when you ask 'em to come out.... :roll:

It happened to me but luckily 35 minutes of judicious wiggling got it to come undone, but when I googled it, found it was a not exactly unknown problem.

Mine is the alarmed xena xx6 disc lock, been very good. I bought the bigger xena one when I got the ktm but it kept alarming for nothing so I sent it back.

Mine is the alarmed xena xx6 disc lock, been very good. I bought the bigger xena one when I got the ktm but it kept alarming for nothing so I sent it back.

Has seemed to work ok for me too. Did go off randomly in the shed once, no idea why but did make me run out of the house ready to.... well, I dunno, I'm a lover not a fighter :lol:

I use one of these Abus locks on the front wheel - each part of it spins independently of the others, so it would be almost impossible to cut through.

565649_68_Roll_up_yellow_a2_3.jpg

On the back, I use a padlock type disc lock but I secure it to the sprocket so that it’s hard to get to.

I carry both locks under my seat and tend to use them any time I park up. Not a guarantee, but it would certainly be enough of a pain that I’d expect any scrotes to look for easier pickings.

Edited by learningtofly