Protection

Just out of intrest, how often do you wear full bike protection?

I personally dont care if im going 1 minute down the road or 1 hour down the road i always wear my bike trousers (materials) jacket, boots,gloves, lid (for obvsious reasons).

My question is...

How often do you wear full gear? And do those who dont, are you not scared or worried about seriously injuring yourself?

I wear full protection for any 'proper' ride out.. which usually means heading out of the city and onto NSL roads and/or an unfamiliar area.

I do not wear all the gear for a very local ride.. maybe a short errand. But, Im very aware of the risks and ride far more cautiously. Im fairly cautious anyway but that goes up a few steps when Im a little more 'exposed'.

No.. Im not scared or worried but it is in the back of my mind at all times. as it is regardless.

In those situations the only item I dont bother with are my 'proper' bike trousers. Always, Helmet and gloves (obviously) and jacket every ride as well as proper footwear.

I think its a mistake to ride without the full gear if you cant at least adjust your riding style to suit, or if you are heading onto an NSL or worse... a motorway. Likewise if its very cold or the weather is threatening.

Thats my choice and I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else what they should or should not do.

Always full protection, in my experience more accidents happen during local and town rides. I had two serious at slow speed in town, first without riding gear and end up badly scratched and bruised.Since then always full protection so second one injured only my pride, gear and bike.

I wear full protection for any 'proper' ride out.. which usually means heading out of the city and onto NSL roads and/or an unfamiliar area.

I do not wear all the gear for a very local ride.. maybe a short errand. But, Im very aware of the risks and ride far more cautiously. Im fairly cautious anyway but that goes up a few steps when Im a little more 'exposed'.

No.. Im not scared or worried but it is in the back of my mind at all times. as it is regardless.

In those situations the only item I dont bother with are my 'proper' bike trousers. Always, Helmet and gloves (obviously) and jacket every ride as well as proper footwear.

I think its a mistake to ride without the full gear if you cant at least adjust your riding style to suit, or if you are heading onto an NSL or worse... a motorway. Likewise if its very cold or the weather is threatening.

Thats my choice and I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else what they should or should not do.

Absolutely the same for me. Having said that, I always feel reassured when I have my trousers on.

(Errr, by which I mean my armoured trousers - I don't ride in just my boxer shorts, ever :scratch: )

Absolutely the same for me. Having said that, I always feel reassured when I have my trousers on.

(Errr, by which I mean my armoured trousers - I don't ride in just my boxer shorts, ever :scratch: )

......but I bet you get anxiety dreams........ :shock:

But what I can't understand is why people think that wearing shorty boots is ever acceptable. Your shins are extremely vulnerable and I have seen first hand a very nasty filtering accident where a guy on a 400/4 basically had the front of his left leg torn open from ankle to knee. Tibia and fibula both smashed.....he was wearing office shoes and a suit but shorty boots wouldn't have saved him. Anything with an armoured shin would have. Don't know if he lost the leg but wouldn't be surprised. Short boots are dangerous. End of.

But what I can't understand is why people think that wearing shorty boots is ever acceptable. Your shins are extremely vulnerable and I have seen first hand a very nasty filtering accident where a guy on a 400/4 basically had the front of his left leg torn open from ankle to knee. Tibia and fibula both smashed.....he was wearing office shoes and a suit but shorty boots wouldn't have saved him. Anything with an armoured shin would have. Don't know if he lost the leg but wouldn't be surprised. Short boots are dangerous. End of.

The problem is made worse by the fact that clothing/gear designed for riders of retro/modern classic bikes is intended to be suitable for use both on and off the bike. It's a whole different approach and one that carries a specific risk profile. (I should add that I understand and accept that risk, as I don't want to wear the alternative which is more or less racing gear.)

That's the next thing i'll be looking into, which would you recommend in terms of priority of budget, i know a helmet would be first, but after that what would be next in quality, i know about getting the best you can afford, but there is a point as budget decreases options also dwindle,

So I'm quite risk averse in nature, but just yesterday I wore shorty boots to get to work and then ride over to an event in the next town after work and then home. Yes, I sacrificed a bit of protection for being better able to blend in at the event and not look obviously like a biker.

These, so not much shin protection.

It was a calculated risk, the same as wearing motorcycle jeans vs other protection.

What about people who use a level 1 back protector vs a level 2?

Unless its a ride out or big journey, I just wear lid gloves, sometimes motorbike boots depending if walking for abit after short destination or will just be trainers.

When doing short journey nout over 30mph I just take it easy ish.

I wear short biker boots bit never really felt vulnrable.

I have never thought about wearing a back protector... do lots of people wear them or is it more of a head down feet back brakeneck speed sports bike thing? Kinda nakes me think i should be wearing one even though im not a fast rider

That's the next thing i'll be looking into, which would you recommend in terms of priority of budget, i know a helmet would be first, but after that what would be next in quality, i know about getting the best you can afford, but there is a point as budget decreases options also dwindle,

Seriously, what's your budget? There is lots of stuff out there - worth keeping an eye on Aldi and Lidl. If gear is sold as protective in this country, then it must be marked as such. If it bears the right marks, then it will give you the basic level of protection that you need. Don't skimp on gloves, I've already mentioned boots and if you can find them, Aldi and Lidl jackets and trousers are good value. 2nd hand textile gear is OK if it looks in reasonable nick.... Worth checking the charity shops out.

Always full protection, it only takes a minute to get knocked of, it could be a hundred miles away or twenty metres away, my job has taught me that the motorcyclists who wear proper gear are the ones who ultimately get up and walk away from a bump or at least give themselves a better chance of surviving a serious one

Why doesn’t everyone wear an airbag enabled suit?

They are out there and are proven to be effective !!

The bottom line on AGATT is that it’s up to personal choice and an individuals assessment of risk - some people are shit scared of their own shadow and some free climb and balance on top of sky scrapers taking selfies.

Demonising people who don’t conform to your own standards is a human trait that the Internet gives more exposure to, rather than people just grumbling about it down the pub with mates or writing indignant letters to the press.

Live and let live ( in this case anyway )

Seriously, what's your budget? There is lots of stuff out there - worth keeping an eye on Aldi and Lidl. If gear is sold as protective in this country, then it must be marked as such. If it bears the right marks, then it will give you the basic level of protection that you need. Don't skimp on gloves, I've already mentioned boots and if you can find them, Aldi and Lidl jackets and trousers are good value. 2nd hand textile gear is OK if it looks in reasonable nick.... Worth checking the charity shops out.

Budget around £500, £150 ish for helmet, then rest for clothing etc, but that is just to get me on the road for the summer, don't mind getting better later in the year,

I just forget what the programme on the box is called now but its a regular one about an American family who own a bike building company and the only time they wear leathers is in winter otherwise they wear t shirts shorts no gloves and just work boots, and over here its hammered into us to wear the proper gear as gravel rash hurts :|

The only time I did not bother with the full kit was when I had a lock up at a container park. Out of hours it was closed off and only accessible to those who had containers. If there was no one else there, it was fun having a ride about with no kit or even a helmet.

Guest Richzx6r

For me it's full kit apart from very local I may wear my Jean's which is next best thing to proper trousers but that's the least I'll go out with

I ride every day just about

During the week for the commute around 30 mins and 11 miles Including Urban bypasses and a short section of full motorway. its Kevlar lined jeans a bike jacket gloves boots and helmet (Most days Schuberth C3 but I have a Nolan N103 if the Schuberth is still soggy the next morning :roll: ). And if required waterproof over trousers and jacket

Weekend when riding I am going much further so if the weather is good leathers if not waterproof textiles

Back protection in both bike jackets

Books are Altberg had them for years and they still look like new

Gloves depends on the weather I have winter summer and in between ones

As I passed my test in 1977 I guess I have been riding for a while and built up a reasonable amount of kit. For me it has to be comfortable if not its distracting and therefore increases risk.

I just forget what the programme on the box is called now but its a regular one about an American family who own a bike building company and the only time they wear leathers is in winter otherwise they wear t shirts shorts no gloves and just work boots,

That sounds like Orange County Choppers run by Paul Snr and Paul jnr. They often head out on their bikes in jeans and t-shirts.

I always wear full protective gear. If I'm off out for a fairly long ride I'll also wear my air jacket/vest over my textile jacket. Wearing the full amount feels heavy when walking but when sat on the bike riding along the weight has (for me) the added psychological benefit of feeling safer and less vulnerable thereby helping make me more comfortable and at ease making the ride out more pleasant. Comfortable ride = happy ride. Does that make sense? I hope so :D

However, wearing full armour doesn't mean that one can drop one's vigilance (I think this is the problem with many car drivers, they sit in their 'safe' box and that feeling of 'safety' makes them less aware of dangers and other road users).

Budget around £500, £150 ish for helmet, then rest for clothing etc, but that is just to get me on the road for the summer, don't mind getting better later in the year,

5* sharp HJC helmet is in budget, boots with ankle crush protection and gloves with hard armour and most important I think. All well in budget. Then jeans and jacket - you're more likely to slide on your butt and burn your skin off I think, but lots wear jacket and normal demon (which lasts 0.2 seconds in a slide). Ideally both.

If you're a medium, I can let you have a very lightly used one of these at a nice cheap price - let me know if you're interested.

armr-moto_textile-jacket_eyoshi_black-blue.jpg