GPS App for circular route

Hi all,

I'm looking for an app that I can upload a circular route to. Possibly using a gpx file.

I've used Google Maps with an earpiece to give me directions on an A to B route which was pretty useful, but I'd like to be able to create a circular route (like the MCN250) on a PC and then upload it to an app.

Any ideas? Or if there are no apps available, any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Collett73

Guest Richzx6r

I use calimoto the free version is good and gives you many options for the length of the route and the direction you wish to travel in and it has a twisties tab for if you really want to go scratching round some nice bike friendly roads

You can just add loads of stops on Google maps.

I did download a gpx of the MCN250 which you can open in Google maps but it doesn't do directions/navigation - just overlays the route atop a map which moves with you - not ideal.

We had this exact problem on the ride out that I organised recently - the Google maps route morphed for everyone over the course of the ride.

The only way around it that I think I've discovered is to use the My Maps feature in Google, plot multiple interim points en route to ensure that the app doesn't make adjustments as you're riding, and then save the completed route before uploading it on your phone.

I reckon that should work, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

We had this exact problem on the ride out that I organised recently - the Google maps route morphed for everyone over the course of the ride.

The only way around it that I think I've discovered is to use the My Maps feature in Google, plot multiple interim points en route to ensure that the app doesn't make adjustments as you're riding, and then save the completed route before uploading it on your phone.

My maps doesn't navigate for me even when imported to Google maps (which is dead easy actually, even on my phone). Normal Google maps does with multiple stops though.

Just tried to use to Google maps route progress location sharing feature to see if you can navigate to the guy whose location you're following but alas not.

My maps doesn't navigate for me even when imported to Google maps (which is dead easy actually, even on my phone). Normal Google maps does with multiple stops though.

Just tried to use to Google maps route progress location sharing feature to see if you can navigate to the guy whose location you're following but alas not.

Can you save the route in regular maps, as I haven’t found a way to do it?

You can save route to home screen which should keep it.

I guess the issue with multistop maps is that if you miss a point it will take you back to the previous point not the next.

you would need to buy a Garmin .. try your phone apps .. whatever one you like .. when you`ve had enough buy a dedicated motorbike sat-nav.. because the free apps are crap and the paid for are expensive and don't work well as the garmin...

Many thanks. I was kind of getting that impression but didn't want to fork out for a GPS device needlessly.

Shame as the Google maps playing through an earpiece works great from A to B.

Thanks again all.

Simon

Many thanks. I was kind of getting that impression but didn't want to fork out for a GPS device needlessly.

Shame as the Google maps playing through an earpiece works great from A to B.

Thanks again all.

Simon

And c to d and e, which could work.

I've just downloaded Calimoto onto my iPhone, which would appear to be the perfect solution. £40 for a year's premium subscription, so relatively low risk and i'll see how i get on with it. It's certainly synced perfectly with the desktop version and I'll be out for my first ride with it later today.