What tools to keep on the bike

Hi all, i have ordered a tool roll/bag for the front of the bike, and just wondered what tools would you usually keep on the bike, i have had a look and there is no supplied toolkit with mine :cheers:

A set of combination spanners, plug spanner, front and rear wheel spanners, set of Allen keys, screwdrivers, cable ties. If you have luggage capacity, a lithium jump starter, wd40, duct tape.

AA or RAC or similar is your best tool kit. But it's not a bad idea to keep a basic couple of spanners and a screwdriver for minor mishaps, like someone knocking your mirrors and they become loose and maybe the capability to change a fuse. That sort of thing.

got some quotes last night for the major break down company's, they all want around the same price £120 per year, and that is just the basic roadside and recovery, can't really justify that, even for peace of mind, as i don't venture far from home :)

got some quotes last night for the major break down company's, they all want around the same price £120 per year, and that is just the basic roadside and recovery, can't really justify that, even for peace of mind, as i don't venture far from home :)

You break down once 30 miles from home , you’ll wish you’d paid the £120 .

Mines about that for me and the mrs car, bike and passenger in any vehicle all singing all dancing .

Just added personal cover to my Green Flag car policy for £22. The car policy was £59. Shop around

Just added personal cover to my Green Flag car policy for £22. The car policy was £59. Shop around

I will be going through my insurance, they offer quite a good package for £53 per year :thumb:

My AA cover comes with the bank, so I just need my debit card! It covers me and my wife, so it doesn't matter how many cars/bikes you have or if you're a passenger in another car, its covered. It would have been way more expensive to buy breakdown cover for 2 bikes and a car separately.

the bike has a toolkit which has all the necessary things for minor repairs/bodges to get you going.

It has some assorted spanners, screwdrivers, spark plug socket, pliers, I have added zip ties, and a torch. The bike has spare fuses near the battery.

Hate to say this.. but for the bike you have recovery is an absolute must.

Looking at photos and I reckon it has tubed tyres.. get a puncture and this will make the bike almost impossible to push, especially if its the front. And what if the tyre comes off the rim? then the price of recovery will begin to look like a genuine bargain.

does the bike come with a centre stand?

Do you really want to have to take a wheel off, the tyre off the rim, either repair or replace the punctured tube and then put it all back together, at the side of the road?

if yes.. then that is your essential tool kit. All tools required to remove the front or back wheel. Tyre levers, rim protectors, spare tubes or repair kit. Pump. anything else.. any other tools should come secondary to that.

No centre stand and changing/repairing the tubes becomes a whole lot worse.

[mention]Gerontious[/mention]

yes it has a centre stand, and tubed tyres :lol: , and i do agree with the recovery, otherwise i would need to have a pit crew following, every time i went out on the bike :lol: :thumb:

check your bank account for cover

or insurance

ok to put it in perspective

breakdown without cover

call the AA will cost you on average in a breakdown situation

local cover

the cost of standard roadside cover ....( valid for local recovery) circa £35

A breakdown surcharge of circa £99

If you breakdown further afield you will requirw national recovery/relay cover which will be circa £68 plus the breakdown surcharge ...however it is only valid for 50miles in the first 24hours of service ..anything over that is chargeable at circa £2.50/ mile

why not just get minimal cover for £30-40 pound and at least if you need more you upgrade .

check whichever companies terms and conditions as not all are equal some only allow vehicles under 10 years old .