Comuter clothing strategy?

I do 10 miles down the Motorway and another 15 through London. I already have a leaky Frank Thomas suit (I have a post elseware. I think "water proof" means "doesn't desolve").

I could just buy a waterproof 1 piece to go over the top, or buy a complete better fabric suit. I think I need to upgrade soon anyway but I don't know which way to go. I suppose I could even go to full leather and then buy a water proof over the top.

What do you diehard commuters have in your wardrobe?

Guest Richzx6r

2 piece is the way to go, 1 piece waterproofs are just a right faf on and they sweat alot, and if you can't keep the neck securely done up then you may aswell not be wearing it as the rain will just get in through the neck

use these as your search parameters and you wont go far wrong.

Goretex. D30. Outlast.

Better if the Goretex is a laminate, rather than a zip-in/removable membrane. Mainly because it acts as a barrier to rain which cannot soak in and either make the garment extra heavy or take longer to dry.

Depends a lot on what you want to spend. for the kind of commute you are doing, year round? 'Buying cheap" wont cut it.. unless you go second hand. Or, you dont mind replacing gear yearly... when it gives up and the warranty has ended.

With Goretex.. the warranty never ends. Which is why its pretty much crucial over the longer term and worth spending that little extra for.

I have an oxford montreal 3.0 jacket and montreal 2.0 pants. I wore them all through winter and only once did the let a small amount of water in near my stomach, and that was in torrential rain. I do top up the waterproofing with the sprays you can buy.

ARMR Moto 2 Jacket, RST Syncro Plus textile trousers and Prexport Passo touring boots keep me dry enough that I can put them all on over a shirt and trousers and ride in any rain to work. The Passo's are honestly the best waterproof boots I've ever had - absolutely nothing gets in them.

i would just get some lightweight waterproofs to go over,
Yes, that what I was thinking - except not black, but I'm talking myselt out of it. I would be arriving at work and needing to remove/store 2 sets of clothing. Waterproofs over leathers would be silly. so I'm probably back to textiles probably ...... except.

I have a sports bike (not aggressive but still...). will the really proof jackets be ok to wear, or will the style be too upright for my riding position?

Can't really say, my waterproofs are used on the pushbike, i did try them over my leather gear, but were too tight, but i doubt i will be a wet weather rider :lol:

So, are you guys suggesting a complete solution armoured water proof jacket or waterproof over what I have?

My suggestion was to replace what you have. I commute in bike trousers, shirt and tie under bike jacket, then when I get to work I swap bike trousers for work trousers. In the winter the bike stuff has a zip in/out liner which kept me warm down to about 2 or 3C with the help of a balaclava, when it got down to 0c I added a hoody and some extra mits over my normal gloves.

The best way to go is layering, but you don't want to be putting much if anything over your main gear that prevents you from moving.

I have non waterproof (showerproof I guess) textile 2 piece so I use this most days. Shirt and trousers underneath for work so just take it off and put my shoes on at work.

Then if the rains heavy or more than a light shower I keep my over suit on the bike, I have a Richa Typhoon. Only £40 so much cheaper than a new goretex proper suit and it's really good quality, takes only an extra 2 mins to put on over my suit and keeps me bone dry. I commute 10 miles each way and haven't been hot once and I'm usually a hot person.

I have non waterproof (showerproof I guess) textile 2 piece so I use this most days. Shirt and trousers underneath for work so just take it off and put my shoes on at work.

Then if the rains heavy or more than a light shower I keep my over suit on the bike, I have a Richa Typhoon. Only £40 so much cheaper than a new goretex proper suit and it's really good quality, takes only an extra 2 mins to put on over my suit and keeps me bone dry. I commute 10 miles each way and haven't been hot once and I'm usually a hot person.

Same, but I also wear overtrousers over my bike trousers (goretex ex-army ones can be had for £15 off ebay) because some water always seems to get inside the suit and then soaks straight into my bum. With the extra waterproof layer this doesn't happen, bliss! Also the suit is useful to keep the biting cold off in the winter, if it keeps the rain off it also keeps the wind off..

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm could have done with one of those this morning 💦

My old Richa textile jacket has given up on stopping the rain. And since I’m about to swap my Honda s-wing scoot for a naked Yamaha I’m guessing things are gonna get worse... v interested to know how you get on with the overalls..

Hmm could have done with one of those this morning 💦

My old Richa textile jacket has given up on stopping the rain. And since I’m about to swap my Honda s-wing scoot for a naked Yamaha I’m guessing things are gonna get worse... v interested to know how you get on with the overalls..

I am pretty much a fair weather rider, i got them as a just in case :lol: , but i will give them a good initial trial :thumb:

I have an oxford montreal 3.0 jacket and montreal 2.0 pants. I wore them all through winter and only once did the let a small amount of water in near my stomach, and that was in torrential rain. I do top up the waterproofing with the sprays you can buy.

I too have this setup. :thumb: as the jacket doesn't come with back armour, I wear the Forcefield pro back protector.

When the heavens open up though and to improve visibility for other road users, I usually wear the Oxford Rainseal hi-vis over jacket over the Montreal one. I highly recommend the over jacket as it has kept the rain out very well during Winter last year.

My rain suit has just arrived, will have a proper look after lunch :thumb:

Just the job :thumb: , comes in a zip lock bag, i went for a large to allow a bit more room, i am usually a medium, fits well over my leather jacket, plenty of stretch, elasticated waist and cuffs, zip front with storm proof velcro flap, reasonable quality, it has a rubbery feel to it, couldn't see any ventilation, very light, probably weighs around a kilo or less, no scales to hand to weigh it properly, marked as 100% waterproof not resistant or showerproof, i have a proper fishing suit that i tested with a jet wash whilst wearing it, this will get the same test at some point, but so far a big :up: from me :lol: :cheers:

can see that you are impressed up to now :)

I don't know if i'm just lucky, or have a good instinct, but i have never had a bad purchase, shopping online or otherwise, no matter what i have bought :thumb: