Winter Gear

Time has come for me to reinvest in some decent winter gear. My previous stuff is too big and looking a bit tired.

Any recommendations? Budget stretches to £1200 so looking at some of the Rukka stuff. Would ideally like Gore-Tex laminate as I plan to be commuting all through the winter.

Would like some money left over to get some decent boots and some heated gloves so probably looking to spend around 800.

Have a look at the Halvarsson gear. Great gear, excellent waterproofing, outlast liners are magical and not bulky. Most modles available in a vast array of sizes. All for a very reasonable cost. I don't really look at any other brand now for bike stuff.

Thing about Rukka.. is if you buy from a dealer. first you get either a 5 or 6 year warranty and that warranty means - any problem, take it back to the dealer and they will give you a loan replacement while your own gear goes away. if it cant be repaired then you get 'New'. Thats handy if you rely on it.. and want at least a fair amount of security/ VFM. It also reflects quite well on the Q.C at the factory. Once the Rukka warranty expires then the garment is still guaranteed for life. By Goretex.

this is what you are paying for.

Thing about Rukka.. is if you buy from a dealer. first you get either a 5 or 6 year warranty and that warranty means - any problem, take it back to the dealer and they will give you a loan replacement while your own gear goes away. if it cant be repaired then you get 'New'. Thats handy if you rely on it.. and want at least a fair amount of security/ VFM. It also reflects quite well on the Q.C at the factory. Once the Rukka warranty expires then the garment is still guaranteed for life. By Goretex.

this is what you are paying for.

Good point. Just seen the discount posted in July is still active in my sizes on Helmet City. Think I’m gonna pull the trigger on that. £800 all in with room for a pair of RST thermal tech gloves.

Mrs is gonna leave me :D

Have you ever known anyone to claim on that warrenty @Gerontious ?

I know of two people who had to, one with boots and the other with gloves. Both times the shop they bought them from ended up shelling out for replacments as Rukka were not compliant with the returns. They even sent the boots back saying they were fine. When they shop tested them by running the toes under the tap, water leaked in...

A warrenty is only as good as the company that backs it.

I like Halverson's as well. I think they have a 5 year warranty as well. I personally find Rukka doesn't fit me as well as Halverson's so it's a no brainer. I would rather buy them from somewhere you can try them on as there's a surprising variety in sizing. My two pence worth.

RUKKA is 1st rate, I have the Nivala jacket and trousers, I've been out in some pretty heavy downpours and stayed totally dry and warm, I've had them some time now, still haven't retreated them and there as good as new, highly recommended, not cheap but you get what you pay for with motorcycle gear, I bought my stuff from SBS and got a really good deal, plus can't go wrong with a five year guarantee.

Have you ever known anyone to claim on that warrenty @Gerontious ?

I know of two people who had to, one with boots and the other with gloves.

No.. I don't. Aside from Bonio who bought a pair of pants second hand off eBay and they leaked. I suggested he contact Goretex and they were sent away. He got a cheque from them to buy a new pair. Which he did. Rukka.

But i will make 2 points.

1. 'That 5yr warranty with loan replacement" does not apply to gloves. It never has.

2. Rukka do not make boots.

Rukka is fantastic gear but I personally found it is not warm enough when you are on long rides (+1 hour) and its below 6 degrees. Waterproofing is fantastic, quality is fantastic, service is fantastic but their liner I found is pants.

I would allocate a about £150 to getting a heated jacket and pull the Rukka liner out :)

Thanks, my commute is 30 mins and i’ve managed it for 4 years in worse liners so should be ok. Next priority is heated gloves. Outrageous money.

Why not install heat grips on your bike then? Or would that work out the same in terms of cost?

Already have them, work fine for your palms, do absolutely nothing for the fingers. Even with 3 layers of gloves on. Made a commitment about 3 years ago that I would buy heated gloves and always put it off, well not this year!

Maybe.

Thanks, my commute is 30 mins and i’ve managed it for 4 years in worse liners so should be ok. Next priority is heated gloves. Outrageous money.

Why not install heat grips on your bike then? Or would that work out the same in terms of cost?

Already have them, work fine for your palms, do absolutely nothing for the fingers. Even with 3 layers of gloves on. Made a commitment about 3 years ago that I would buy heated gloves and always put it off, well not this year!

Maybe.

I'm lucky. I have naturally warm hands. All I need is silk liner gloves in my regular gloves and I'm as warm as toast.