XRT Helmets

I thought I'd spin this on here for some opinions.

I bought an AGV helmet a few months ago and as it had decided to self destruct in a number of areas, I took it back to the shop I bought it from. After having a look at it they agreed it was a mess, but as they were in no position to repair it themselves because they didn't hold any spare parts, they would have to send it back to the importer to see if it could be repaired, or if not, replaced.

I didn't have a problem with that as they said they would provide a replacement helmet so I could ride home as my bike was parked outside.

After a few minutes, they offered me a plain black lid to try on for size, and as it fitted OK, I left.

I wasn't impressed with it on the 25 mile ride, so when I arrived home, I thought I'd look on the web and the only reference I found was an E-Bay account with the shops logo where it was for sale for less than £40! I can't find anything other than that about XRT Helmets.

It goes without saying I'm not wearing it, but that means I'm not riding as I've only recently returned to biking and I don't have a another helmet to wear.

I don't like kicking up a fuss, but I'm really cheesed off I've been palmed off with a cheap piece of plastic that would offer as much protection as a pudding bowl, so I was wondering what you would do about it?

Name and shame the seller. Also what happened to your original helmet? If it's that bad it would seem there's some issues there as well. Recently tried on an AGV myself but there was no way that any of their helmets would fit my head shape.

Definitely sounds very shady .

Yes, it doesn't fill me with confidence the helmet I bought is genuine. I mean, this is a recognised national chain and if you Google 'XRT Helmet' you'll soon find out who the retailer is.

I bought an AGV K5, and after only three months use, the rear padding was falling out, the clear visor attachment had failed so it was flapping around my face, there were cracks on the other side, and the dark visor mechanism failed so it was permanently down.

I've read the reviews on the helmet from another retailer and not one person has grumbled about build quality, so I am asking myself, given this well known chain has provided me with a very dodgy helmet of no known origin, are they selling rubbish to us?

Okay, I googled XRT Helmets and got a well known retailer with numbers of branches. Are they a franchise? From what you say your AGV helmet sounds more like a rip off. Assuming you've not been kicking it down the road it should not have deteriorated to that extent. Get it examined and try and find out for sure. It's not unknown for individual people to buy copies and flog it off as original without the brand name knowing.

Can't see a problem with XRT it's certified, it might not be as expensive as some, but a good fitting cheap helmet is better than an ill fitting expensive one, i would have no issue wearing it, fwiw mine is a Frank Thomas brand from the same outlet as the XRT and mine has the same certification :thumb:

Can't see a problem with XRT it's certified, it might not be as expensive as some, but a good fitting cheap helmet is better than an ill fitting expensive one, i would have no issue wearing it, fwiw mine is a Frank Thomas brand from the same outlet as the XRT and mine has the same certification :thumb:

The problem is I can't find any information about XRT helmets, other than this single lid being for sale on their E-Bay site. We've all heard of Frank Thomas, but XRT Helmets is a complete void.

You say it's certified, but I can't see any proof of that.

If you can point me in the right direction so I can see XRT are a genuine company making proper, certified helmets, I will put it on my bonce and have some fun, but I can't see anything, anywhere, that gives me the confidence to do that.

Okay, I googled XRT Helmets and got a well known retailer with numbers of branches. Are they a franchise? From what you say your AGV helmet sounds more like a rip off. Assuming you've not been kicking it down the road it should not have deteriorated to that extent. Get it examined and try and find out for sure. It's not unknown for individual people to buy copies and flog it off as original without the brand name knowing.

I've no idea what their business model is, but the helmet I bought has not been abused in any way.

They sent my lid off to be repaired or replaced, which they said would take about two weeks.

Yes, I was surprised how quickly it started to fail, especially as I don't ride every day. I always thought AGV was a premium brand with a good reputation. I don't know anymore, maybe when I get my helmet back and it's flawless for the next few years I'll be thinking about replacing it with another of their lids, but the combination of a cheap pile of rubbish along with a supposedly decent brand that has failed miserably has coloured my thinking.

I've had a look on the website and it appears they have moved it to the Clearance page.

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/xrt-kr-1-helmet-black/30469.htm

But £40 for a helmet. It's literally pennies....Is our brain injuries worth just that?

In the first post the guy rode 25 miles wearing a BROKEN helmet to the shop to have it repaired, couldn't be repaired and needed to go to manufacturers, so the shop gave him a fully functional although cheap helmet for him to use until as such time his own had been repaired, so the guy doesn't mind risking injury wearing defective gear but snubs at a cheap but certified fully functional helmet :lol: :cheers:

I've had a look on the website and it appears they have moved it to the Clearance page.

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/xrt-kr-1-helmet-black/30469.htm

But £40 for a helmet. It's literally pennies....Is our brain injuries worth just that?

In the first post the guy rode 25 miles wearing a BROKEN helmet to the shop to have it repaired, couldn't be repaired and needed to go to manufacturers, so the shop gave him a fully functional although cheap helmet for him to use until as such time his own had been repaired, so the guy doesn't mind risking injury wearing defective gear but snubs at a cheap but certified fully functional helmet :lol: :cheers:

Sorry, but you are incorrect with your assessment.

There was nothing wrong with the structure of my AGV helmet that compromised it's safety. The problems were with the visors. The clear one had broken on one side, and the dark visor was permanently lowered. It wasn't BROKEN in a life risking way at all.

The problem I have with the lid they gave me isn't the price. Yes, it's for sale for slightly less than £40, but that doesn't bother me. The simple fact of the matter is I can't find any reference to XRT helmets anywhere. You say it's a certified helmet, but I'm more sceptical than that.

XRT helmets do not exist as a manufacturer as far as I can tell, so I fail to understand how a none existent manufacturer has managed to produce a lid that has been fully tested and certified then produces just one helmet that is then on sale for less than £40!

I'm not snubbing it because of it's price, I have a real concern it's not fit for purpose, and with that in mind, I'm not wearing it.

• 2 weeks later...

It was sometime in early August I would think, so it's getting on for four weeks now.

I called the shop earlier this week, and was told the AGV importers have a backlog of repairs due to people being on holiday over the summer.

That made me laugh. AGV helmets are so crap there are so many returns they can't cope with the numbers!

Anyway, I didn't receive the 'phone call towards the end of this week that was promised informing me about what is going to happen, be it a repair or replacement, so I'll wait and see how long it is until they contact me.

Cheers for your help and the consumer rights attachment.