Fitting a Scottoiler xSystem

I don't quite believe what I'm writing here, but: I think I've actually installed the thing :thumb:

Possessed of a mechanical competence weighing in at strictly no more than two Haynes spanners, this was always going to a Big Thing for me, ever since I'd clicked on the "Buy it now" button on the M&P web site. I'd gone for the xSystem over the traditional vacuum-powered vSystem as it avoids cutting into the vacuum line (apparently a questionable thing to do on Euro 4 bikes), making it easier to install. Like the eSystem, it has an electronic pump designed to deliver the same amount of oil in hot weather or cold, which means it should be simpler to maintain the correct rate of oil delivered to the chain. Unlike the eSystem, the controls (on, off, more oil, less oil) are on the reservoir unit, rather than mounted on the handlebars. I couldn't see I'd have much need to use the controls, so this sounded like a good option to me.

The device is wired directly into the battery and fitted with an accelerometer to detect when the bike's moving*, which is when it delivers the oil. Stop, and the flow of oil stops. Stop for a while, and it puts itself to sleep: the idea is that it can be left on continually without draining the battery. The only time I'd need to turned it off is when the bike was moving, but the wheels weren't - like when the it was on a ferry or the back of a truck.

But I had to get it installed first....

In the box I found the instructions: an inscrutable set of diagrams marked occasionally with worryingly Xs and occasional ticks. Some of the diagrams were further decorated with an empty thought bubble issuing from a person's head, like this:

scottoiler1.PNG.8de340f65c6432e9b0478b01b732e92f.PNG

It turns out that the real instructions - the ones you can understand - are online, the best one being the official youtube vid. Here I learned that the empty thought bubbles telling me to plan ahead, and this, it turns out, it really good advice. There are three things I had to decide: where to install the unit that houses the pump and reservoir, where to mount the dispenser that delivers the oil to the chain, and how to route the oil line that connects the two.

On the Tiger, I found room for the reservoir under the pillion seat, which suited me as it's close to the battery, protected from the weather, and out of sight. Triumph have designed a slightly awkward plastic moulding, intending it to hold a Triumph-branded lock, and when I first looked at the space, it seemed to me to be in the way, but in the I used it to prop up one end of the reservoir**, and I drilled a couple of small holes in it to take some cable ties. Another set of ties went through holes that were already in the cross bar under the seat.

20190922_153956.thumb.jpg.867caf209c3d08659fa9192c985cd107.jpg

I'd originally thought I'd mount the dispenser to the crash bobbin bolts, as I thought it would be more secure and be least visible, but then I realised that the bobbins on the Tiger fit to the swingarm, not the rear axle, and this arrangement would have left no room for adjusting the dispenser along with the chain. So I opted instead to use the cheap-looking plastic mount from the box that sticks to the underside of the swingarm: it has a wide slot making it the adjustment a lot easier. I wasn't really convinced that a glue-on mount was a good solution, but it seems to be on there pretty solidly now.

As for the oil line, I'd read something online about being able to route it through the Tiger's hollow swingarm and this worked a treat

20190922_154404.thumb.jpg.4cdddd58def9146089dc415e4e061b2f.jpg

making the line almost invisible

and from there it was easy to fettle it up into the battery box and on to the reservoir.

20190922_154014.thumb.jpg.53b48c6fcb92b08bc0eb20b932f2b48c.jpg

Good work, I thought, and went to bed a happy lad. The next morning, though, there's a little pool of oil under the chain, and it's spread out across the floor and nicely coated the rear tyre. I checked the oil line over, but there were no air bubbles in the oil line to suggest a leak. There was, though, some line slack in the battery box, and I wondered if that somehow contravened this part of the instructions

scottoiler2.PNG.4849e923d9676ea635ad61e111a7ea9f.PNG.

So I fiddled a bit, moving the slack to where the line descends to the swing arm, and now it's almost perfect: I get perhaps about a drop a day on the garage floor. I think all I need to do is cut out some of the slack, leaving just enough for handling the chain adjustments, and I reckon I will have it nailed.

I've done about 200 miles since installing it, and the chain is nicely lubricated, with no fling. So far, I am really pleased.

*or is it when the engine's running? - I'm not 100% sure

** the reservoir doesn't have to vertical, but needs to tilted slightly so it can empty correctly

Im amazed... its been "HOW LONG"???

113 days

and finally we get three photos showing parts of your new bike.

Im sure one day we will get to see the entire thing in all its glory.

My dotage is fast approaching so please do hurry up.

Im amazed... its been "HOW LONG"???

113 days

and finally we get three photos showing parts of your new bike.

Im sure one day we will get to see the entire thing in all its glory.

My dotage is fast approaching so please do hurry up.

Tschh. Ok. I get some done this weekend, if it's not raining.

I dropped it, by the way: I was parked in a lay-by, loose surface, slightly downhill. Got off, took my phone out my pocket and started to dial and the next I knew the bike had kecked over. Best thing was, there was no waiting around looking sheepish for a friendly motorist to come along: I just picked up and put it back on its wheels on my own.

Slight scuff to the plastic scuff protector on the left pannier, but no damage otherwise.

I think the side stand had moved on the loose surface and then the weight of the bike had caused it to retract a bit.