Using a helmet camera with a Bluetooth headset

I have an existing Nolan bluetooth headset and I am considering a helmet camera such as the drift ghost x, not entirely sure why. Anyway, there's plenty of people on YouTube who appear to have a helmet camera and an independent bluetooth headset. They are talking on camera and also talking to their riding partner. Surely they aren't using 2 different microphones?

I have a Drift 4K and as a camera it's very good. However it's microphone is absolutely crap. Unless the bike is stationary all you hear is wind noise. That said when my son in law got knocked off his bike on the M25 it did record him swearing and more importantly the car driver admitting it was his fault.

Garibaldi biscuits are horrible.

• 4 weeks later...

Richyvida has a channel where he does a lot of group touring. He records his voice through a separate mic to his camera and gets his mates to do the same. Then he syncs the video/audio together. It would be great if there was a Bluetooth helmet coms recorder but I don't think it exists.

A little off-topic, but the idea of a helmet cam really appeals to me but my concern was that if I'm ever acting squiddish and get pulled (not that us mature sensible bikers ever get carried away :angel12: ), the police can confiscate the camera as evidence.

So I've decided I'm going to get concealed front and rear cameras. Can't easily use them for vlogging or whatever, but can be used to record idiots cutting me up, accidents that weren't my fault, funny events and at the same time unlikely to be confiscated as evidence should the worst ever happen.

I'm not sure if they can confiscate your camera. Since you have the right to remain silent, that must go for any other self-generated evidence. (?) You could use your own camera for legal defence or prosecuting others.

I could be wrong. :scratch:

I'm not 100% sure, but I've heard stories of it happening whether they are actually allowed to or not.

There's also the concern of me being left unconscious in an accident and using the video footage to make a case against me.

Of course, this wouldn't be my primary concern if I were left unconscious in an accident, but it's also not something I want to have to worry about when I wake up!

A quick google shows this:

https://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/site/mcn-law-columns/can-the-police-seize-my-camera-footage

I considered using a headset but then thought what was the point, most cameras have a built in microphone and you don't need headphones/earpiece to hear your own voice. If its clear voice recording you're after then I'd just get a microphone stuck on the front/inside the helmet near your mouth.

The reason I chose not to get headphones/earpiece is because (A) depending on its size it would squash my ear when putting the helmet on and (B) it would just distract me. When wearing a (full face) helmet all sound is directed in front of you already making it a little hard to orientate yourself and judge what's coming behind and to the sides of you, having something on my ear would make it worse for me lol

A headset means that you can have a navigation app running on your phone, use siri or ok Google to make calls send and read texts. You can answer calls. The headset I have is made by the helmet manufacturer so the earpieces fit in cutouts in the foam. As it has a microphone I wondered if the one mike could be used for headset and helmet camera