Tire insurance

I have jus tbough a new rear tyre for my TDM, for about £7.00 extra I bought a years insurance for it.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyre-insurance

Hoping that I have not wasted my money but historically speaking I would of claimed twice so far.

Yes there is a 25% Excess but I figured it was worth it a glance at T&C's seems it covers everything but wear and tare.

Has anyone had to claim on similar policy?

I've never had a puncture that was so bad the tyre needs to be replaced. I spent £28', maybe 8 years ago on a decent (I think) repair kit and have used it 4 or 5 times on my own bike. A neighbours bike. A neighbours car and twice on random bikers at the roadside. Punctures on my own bike have in every case been permanently repaired... And it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the other repairs have turned out to be permanent too.

Insurance for what? Replacement after a simple (screw/nail) type of puncture is a daft idea unless the manufacturer stipulates this must happen. Do any of them? I'm not sure about track day bikes, maybe it's a good idea for them due to the excess stresses put on the tyres. Just seems to me, if you want to throw away a tyre after a simple puncture then that's fine. But it's not necessary. It's not normal. It just tells me you have a very nice disposable income.

Might pay for itself if the puncture was beyond repair. But I've never experienced that.. A tear, A hole very close to the sidewall or on the sidewall.

I always tell the guys I tour with, if you get a puncture I will fix it so you can finish the holiday and then get home, but always have access to a bit of cash if the worst happens and you need a new tyre. 11 years 6 - 10 bikes every year and it's never happened to anyone.

The price of puncture repair kits has dropped it seems.

Having had two tyre killing punctures in new ish tyres and ridden tyres out on plugs at some point I can see me investing in a puncture set as well..

I guess I should avoid twisty B roads but I find they are the most fun :D

Massive no from me!

They can corrode alloy! So much so I have had to replace a wheel because of the stuff

What about in tubed tyres as it's not in direct contact with any metal unless you get a puncture?.

Those foam repair kits are elegant solution and I used it once. Two minutes repair and go. It was over the year in the tyre. When it was time to replace it, only problem was slight residues to remove from the wheel but no corrosion. However guy who replaced my tyre warned me about possibility of corrosion as it happened to many people. Since then I used plugs. Few minutes more but no corrosion fear.

Not sure if tyre insurance is of any convenience for motorcycle tyres, I got it for car tyres only because those are run flat ( wasn’t my choice, they are standard with the car).

Massive no from me!

They can corrode alloy! So much so I have had to replace a wheel because of the stuff

What about in tubed tyres as it's not in direct contact with any metal unless you get a puncture?.

I don't have tubed tyres :lol:

I suppose you should be safe on tubed

All insurance is a waste of money unless it's either legally required or you couldn't readily lay your hands on the cash to rectify the situation. What I mean by that is that the price of any insurance is set such that on average you would pay more for the insurance than if you paid for the consequences out of your pocket. If that wasn't the case there wouldn't be any profit in it. It's like gambling in that respect... you think you'll potentially be better off but over time you won't be. I've had two punctures in nearly 30 years... it wouldn't work out in my favour.

I wouldn't pay for this specifically as in order to qualify you'll have to buy a replacement tyre from the same source which means you're going to have to get recovered home and wait for the tyre or take it somewhere to get it repaired. Damaging the tyre in an accident isn't cover and neither is fitting cost. I think that you'd be better off carrying a repair kit.

Seems like a fair price. My rear tyres are like £160 each and I had one puncture within my first year of riding. I don't trust mushroom plugs thanks - not worth the risk. I could be tempted.

Hang on just read this 'If your tyre can be repaired, we cover the full repair cost.'

Yeah no thanks - I have AA cover that plugged mine last time for free.

Edited by geofferz

All you need is this :thumb:

It never repaired my puncture so I'll never be using that stuff again

I did use something similar for a car i had, never did get the tyre changed it worked for at least two years :lol:

Massive no from me!

Just out of interest, the green slime branded stuff says it is none corrosive and safe for alloys. I'd suspect there would be balance issues. But if it's water based would that still cause corrosion on alloys?

Massive no from me!

Just out of interest, the green slime branded stuff says it is none corrosive and safe for alloys. I'd suspect there would be balance issues. But if it's water based would that still cause corrosion on alloys?

If you read the contents it will more than likely say it contains corrosion inhibitors and once they break down it will corrode unpainted alloy

To be fair though it does state it will last for upto 2 years, if it is replaced after 18 months or so as regular maintanence, then there should be no issues, as in [mention]Stu[/mention] case the sealant was in for a good few years by the sounds of it, and was well past it's best :thumb:

Thats a new one they have put on their website as it never used to say that!

but yeah as [mention]dynax[/mention] said mine must have been in for a lot longer! the bike was new to me at the time and I was only changing tyres as they was past their best and slightly squared off! they probably had a good 4k in the tyres which for a lot of people is about 2 years riding!

God knows what would have happened if someone had bought it and just rode it till the tyres was shot :?

bought a bike that needed two tyres , took it to a fella i use, when i went to collect bike he wasn't happy , front and rear was full of the stuff , made a right mess.