1st pair of boots

I am looking into buying my 1st pair of dedicated motorcycle boots ,up till now I have just used work boots ,I do use my 125 mainly for transport but am thinking of maybe a short camping trip later this year ,looked online for some RST tundra being one Diora Deuce another I want to be able to walk around in them are these suitable ? or are they too uncomfortable for walking ,I guess if the weather is warm they will ,any help with either these particular boots or general thoughts would be much appreciated .

You really need to try boots on. I just replaced my RSTs which have been very comfortable and it took me a couple of hours trying different boots. It’s worth going to somewhere like J&S, you will pay a bit more but they have stock you can try on.

Yeh J&S are great for stock. We’ve got M&P in South Wales too, which also have a great stock. I bought mine from the Swansea branch after trying on so so so many pairs. The problem with my boots is they’re no good for walking, but that’s not what they’re designed for. There’s loads of options now in the “commuter” style/range that could be ok for you though? Any decent places near you to go and try some on?

yes these companys should start making boots for all round use ( riding your bike and walking ) which also would need to be waterproof, i have been on the lookout for such boots for a while now and some boots dont come in a wide fitting :(

Guest Richzx6r

I'll chime in with if you can keep away from race boots, whilst being comfortable they normally aren't very waterproof and most of them squeak annoyingly and theres not much you can do to stop it

The nearest big motorcycle shops are about 20mile away and yes it would be much better to try some on, i do like to get of the bike and look normal as it were, i was wondering if somthing like Altburgh army type boots and gators would be worth a try, not sure how warm they would be in cold weather.

My two penneth...Which ever you buy, try to buy Gore-tex. I have a pair of TCX Explorer Boots & Sidi Adventure 2 boots, the TCX are great, and far more comfortable for walking in. The Sidi boots offer far greater support and fit higher up the leg, but not as easy to walk in, like others have said, go and try them on :shock: :D

Whilst I love my Gore-Tex gear it's not the be all and end all for boots. I have a pair of Altbergs that are not Gore-Tex and have never let in a drop of water, they are not the cheapest or best looking boots but they will keep you dry and safe. They are purported to last at least 10 years I've had mine about six years and they are still going strong. So when you take the price of the boots and divide it by 10 it works out to a very reasonable yearly price.

Many Police forces wear them.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/

yes these companys should start making boots for all round use ( riding your bike and walking ) which also would need to be waterproof, i have been on the lookout for such boots for a while now and some boots dont come in a wide fitting :(

They do, I have a pair 😁

Whilst I love my Gore-Tex gear it's not the be all and end all for boots. I have a pair of Altbergs that are not Gore-Tex and have never let in a drop of water, they are not the cheapest or best looking boots but they will keep you dry and safe. They are purported to last at least 10 years I've had mine about six years and they are still going strong. So when you take the price of the boots and divide it by 10 it works out to a very reasonable yearly price.

Many Police forces wear them.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/

V popular boots with the police they do last for ages

They do, I have a pair 😁

right lets have a price,and make + photos and supplier

RST have their own brand of waterproof membrane so they are not labelled as GoreTex. It's as good as GoreTex in my experience so don't be put off by the lack of the brand name.

One thing I learned the hard way, whatever boots you get look after them. I live in a rural area and found out that the mud on roads which is field run off contains chemicals which rots leather. Don't leave wet mud on your boots - wash them off and let them dry slowly. Which is another good reason for having two pairs of boots.

I have treated my new boots to Leder Gris from Altberg, it is a wax rather than a polish. I may well buy a pair of Altbergs as well as they do 5 width fittings, but you need to go to a stockist to find which fits you best. Their motorcycle boots look interesting and whilst not cheap for the quality are really very good value compared to high end brands.

I did a review on my last pair of RST Paragon boots which are budget priced but have lasted me well despite my having not looked after then very well (if at all to be honest) https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=71944

Two pair of boots is a good shout. :D

Altberg is a good shout too :wink:

I've had many pairs that claim to be waterproof, but when tested in all day down pours, they leaked. After years of daily commuting I have become very selective when choosing footwear or any gear to be fair. Don't make the mistake I've made over the years, I've bought cheaper little-known brands and ended up paying twice! :mrgreen:

Do your research and good luck getting the ones you want. :D

I have Daytona Voyager GTX boots with GoreTex liner. Not cheap but fully waterproof, comfortable on the bike and reasonably comfortable for walking.

Just collected my "new-to-me" 2017 BMW F700GS and spent out on clothing.

Thought my trainers would do until next pay day, but maybe not!

Remembered I spend a couple of hundred quid on a pair of Altberg walking boots and just gave them a whirl today.

They are perfect for my needs so doubt I'll be laying out any more money on boots just yet.

20200302_134857.thumb.jpg.cce034284608868f7427a388a70a2d2b.jpg

Just collected my "new-to-me" 2017 BMW F700GS and spent out on clothing.

Thought my trainers would do until next pay day, but maybe not!

Remembered I spend a couple of hundred quid on a pair of Altberg walking boots and just gave them a whirl today.

They are perfect for my needs so doubt I'll be laying out any more money on boots just yet.

20200302_134857.jpg

Unless you lay that GS down on your ankle. Then you'll find out why it doesn't matter how expensive your walking boots were. Be careful mate. Congrats on the new bike by the way. Very nice 👍